Wrong Tactics (All Season )

Tactics are wonderful, but with last nights pitch it added another hurdle for us to get over.  You could see it in our play once they went 2-1 up

Wednesday clearly we’re taking their time trying to make a break through.  I did wonder if we’d get a second, never mind a third 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We have EIGHTY TWO POINTS

EIGHTY...  TWO... POINTS.

82 POINTS

EIGHTY

TWO

And you could say we would have been out of sight if we had won just 5 more ... it's the draws that kill you ....

if just 5 of the draws had been wins where we have thrown it away ... those extra 10 points would have meant we would have been promoted now ....  simples it would be 92 .... NINETY TWO POINTS ... AUTOMATIC

Saying that ... with injuries and how we have responded .. he's not done a bad job 😉  but just his trying to keep everyone happy at times has killed us with some of the changes and bad results.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jp1981 said:

Don't get me wrong. I like DM. However, I still not convinced he is the right manager for us. 

If we do manage to get promoted this season, I would probably look at replacing Moore. With who, I'm not sure. But I'm not convinced he is capable of sorting the defence out and giving us a chance of staying up. Although I really hope I am wrong.

I’m of the same opinion unfortunately 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Silkstone Owl said:

Tactics are wonderful, but with last nights pitch it added another hurdle for us to get over.  You could see it in our play once they went 2-1 up

Wednesday clearly we’re taking their time trying to make a break through.  I did wonder if we’d get a second, never mind a third 

I do think at times this season we have been out worst enemy (even Brian Laws has been very critical of this) with breaking and then stopping and passing sideways and back ... giving the opposition team chance to get two banks of players behind the ball which means it is so difficult to break them down ... as you have to start again.

We proved that when we run at the players it worked ... and we get the break through ... last night was another example of this when we went behind but all credit to the changes and the players running at the defence to get the result 👏

• Like 2

Guest DoesJackHunt
1 hour ago, jp1981 said:

Don't get me wrong. I like DM. However, I still not convinced he is the right manager for us. 

If we do manage to get promoted this season, I would probably look at replacing Moore. With who, I'm not sure. But I'm not convinced he is capable of sorting the defence out and giving us a chance of staying up. Although I really hope I am wrong.

You don't sack the manager that gets you promoted unless you're an wazzock or you're bottom at Christmas in my honest opinion. 

Guest DoesJackHunt
11 minutes ago, S25OWL said:

And you could say we would have been out of sight if we had won just 5 more ... it's the draws that kill you ....

if just 5 of the draws had been wins where we have thrown it away ... those extra 10 points would have meant we would have been promoted now ....  simples it would be 92 .... NINETY TWO POINTS ... AUTOMATIC

Saying that ... with injuries and how we have responded .. he's not done a bad job 😉  but just his trying to keep everyone happy at times has killed us with some of the changes and bad results.

He's done a great job !

you cant win every game, better to draw than lose. 

We had a load of new players to settle in and have had a defensive injury crisis to deal with. 

If you're not happy with 82 possibly 85 points for a seasons return given those facts, then you need to give your head a wobble in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

We have EIGHTY TWO POINTS

EIGHTY...  TWO... POINTS.

82 POINTS

EIGHTY

TWO

It’s all relative though, the top 10 all have 70 points.

If we made a league of 12 actual pub teams and 12 professional teams, what would happen. The pro teams would win every game vs the pub teams and the top 12 would have a massive number of points relative to the bottom 12 (who could only beat each other).

So the number of points is irrelevant without the context of the other sides in the league plus how the competition is faring.

In our case, due to the fallout from covid the bottom half of league 1 have more constrained budgets than usual, and we have a rich benefactor wasting money on wages plus a fan base which is probably 3-4 times the size of most of the other clubs.

Our resources are on another level. We should have done better than we have over the season. But let’s get behind them for hopefully the last 4 games and get over the line now.

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

We’ve battered so many teams and ended up drawing or narrowly losing but I don’t think the problem has been tactical at all, we’ve just been wildly inconsistent in front of goal and let in a few daft ones like all teams do.

Tighten up a fraction at both ends and we’d have romped it. Fine margins.

DM has done great IMO - again, I keep saying it, yes we’ve a very strong squad now but just look at the team we came down with a year ago. Could barely field a starting XI and weren’t allowed to buy anyone else. Quite miraculous really, in that context. 

Exactly this.

How many points have we dropped due to a defender being daft or BPF making a mistake. Add to that how many points have we dropped when the strikers have missed absolute sitters.

Since we hit our grove in the new year I think the tactics have been pretty good. 

All this with freebies and loans, that OUR manager brought in. 

• Like 3

Guest DoesJackHunt
6 minutes ago, marconi said:

NOW that’s what I call bi-polar.

is that from the match day thread? bit harsh to roll those out if so - that's a live fast moving thread where emotions are high. 

You can say stuff in the heat of the moment in match day but not really mean it when you consider and digest the full 90 mins after. 

I called someone an absolute D!ck in their the other week, but i didn't mean it, was just emotions.

1 hour ago, John Howard said:

When we attacked/went at Fleetwood in the first 15 mins we could/should have been 3.0 up (Fleetwood Match commentators words) .

In the second half when we again went at them /attacked we were all over them (same Commentator).

This season we have played lovely,flowing,passing football and our opposition have put men behind the ball and waited for us to .. launch the ball into a

crowded area (crowded by defenders).

Problem with soooo many passes is if one goes wrong ,or intercepted,or lack of concentration then we are open to the counter attack . How many times this season have we lost/drawn matches and the opposition have had only  3/2/1 chances .

When we go ahead we...defend and PANIC  and kick the ball anywhere and bring Dunc on to head the ball anywhere .

Please don't mention that we are in the Play Offs (hopefully) ...with this squad and a more attacking style we would have been Champions weeks ago .

Adopt a more attacking tactic and we shall win the Play Offs 

Give it a rest, please 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Never known a fanbase like it

Tricky game against a team fighting for their survival and needing a point to stay up

Our fans sell out the away end (obvs)
Manager makes clever tactical changes
We come from behind

We win
Away too
We get three points

It puts us in with a great chance of playoffs and promotion
Our striker gets a hat trick
It puts us on eighty two points (82!!)

"We've been doing it all wrong" comes the cry from the fans the morning after

lol

It's so utterly utterly bizarre to me this

Utterly, utterly bizarre.  Can't they remember what went before - and most of the time since the early 70s?  These are golden days.  Probably kids, so they won't see the big picture...