Wrong Tactics (All Season )

13 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Get well soon 😘

I do admire Gregory, but I still enjoy your posts. They always give me something to think about or check out at the next game.

(of course usually you are wrong 😉)

Thanks.

I too admire Gregory, it's how we use him that's my issue.

3 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

If that's the case, I do wonder why Kamberi hasn't featured more this season. It is basically Kamberi's game to offer an intense 60-75 minutes of sprinting around, closing down defenders and running the channels.

Don't have the stats to hand, but I seem to remember Gregory + Kamberi working quite well too (Sunderland at home springs to mind).

They did make a pretty good pair, but he's not been the same since the transfer window.

If I was a betting man, I'd say he's either given DM some lip or wanted out in January. Or both. He wears his heart in his sleeve and I honestly didn't expect him to come back when he went back to Switzerland. He only actually got his first start after Rotherham in the week of the Theo leaving threats, I wouldn't be surprised if those conversations happened with him too.

• Like 1

There seems to be two long running discussions here. One is around whether Gregory should start matches and the other is Moore's performance as manager if we aren't promoted. 

Here's my take, there's some validity in the argument around Gregory but this comes from the fact that we aren't the fittest or youngest squad in the league. I think Moore recognises this and tries to make adjustments. Kamberi is awful to watch at times, but he is decent at the less glamorous parts of the game. If we started less with Gregory the danger is we'd have had to come from behind more often. He's our best striker and therefore should st

• Like 1

There seems to be two long running discussions here. One is around whether Gregory should start matches and the other is Moore's performance as manager if we aren't promoted. 

Here's my take, there's some validity in the argument around Gregory but this comes from the fact that we aren't the fittest or youngest squad in the league. I think Moore recognises this and tries to make adjustments. Kamberi is awful to watch at times, but he is decent at the less glamorous parts of the game. If we started less with Gregory the danger is we'd have had to come from behind more often. He's our best striker and therefore should start, but our biggest issue is we don't have two strikers who automatically compliment each other. Even with Windass fit, the debate would go on  because his game wouldnt work perfectly with Gregory and I don't have the often held belief that if they'd both started every match we'd have won the league easily. Put either one up front next to Smith at Rotherham and that is more like a league winning side.

As for Moore, he had so much to deal with when he took over, but he did slightly underperform, regardless of his health etc. I think this year top 6 is performance on track, so for me he's got to a position where he's done reasonably well. Given our previous year, the financial restrictions, the mid season injuries etc then 82 points is a good haul and he deserves another go at it. I don't agree that if next year we aren't top 2 after 10 games he should go, we arent necessarily going to have the best squad or highest budget either. I'd expect us to start better and be top 6 though, but I do think Moore has shown some characteristics that few recent Wednesday managers have, especially around expectation from the players and the ability to attract them and forge a team that seem to be together. There's no doubt that next year will be just as tricky with the possibility of most of Wednesday, Sunderland, Derby, MK, Oxford, Portsmouth, Bolton, Ipswich, Rotherham all pushing for promotion on decent budgets.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Here's my take, there's some validity in the argument around Gregory but this comes from the fact that we aren't the fittest or youngest squad in the league. I think Moore recognises this and tries to make adjustments. Kamberi is awful to watch at times, but he is decent at the less glamorous parts of the game. If we started less with Gregory the danger is we'd have had to come from behind more often. He's our best striker and therefore should start, but our biggest issue is we don't have two strikers who automatically compliment each other. Even with Windass fit, the debate would go on  because his game wouldnt work perfectly with Gregory and I don't have the often held belief that if they'd both started every match we'd have won the league easily. Put either one up front next to Smith at Rotherham and that is more like a league winning side.

As for Moore, he had so much to deal with when he took over, but he did slightly underperform, regardless of his health etc. I think this year top 6 is performance on track, so for me he's got to a position where he's done reasonably well. Given our previous year, the financial restrictions, the mid season injuries etc then 82 points is a good haul and he deserves another go at it. I don't agree that if next year we aren't top 2 after 10 games he should go, we arent necessarily going to have the best squad or highest budget either. I'd expect us to start better and be top 6 though, but I do think Moore has shown some characteristics that few recent Wednesday managers have, especially around expectation from the players and the ability to attract them and forge a team that seem to be together. There's no doubt that next year will be just as tricky with the possibility of most of Wednesday, Sunderland, Derby, MK, Oxford, Portsmouth, Bolton, Ipswich, Rotherham all pushing for promotion on decent budgets.

I get what you mean, however, the 5 games he's played as sub, we've won 3 drawn 1 lost 1(the Lincoln debacle) with us winning 2, drawing 2 and losing 1 when he came on. That's a better record than we currently have at 2 ppg.

When he doesn't play at all, we have won 7 drawn 2 lost 1, which is better than we currently have at 2.3 ppg.

When he has started, we have won 13 drawn 10 lost 7, which gives us 1.6 ppg.

Here's the totals for us now and where we would be if those results continued all season.

W    D    L   PPG  Total  Pos.

23   13  9    1.82  82      4th   current

13  10   7    1.63  73      9th   starting

3     1    1    2.00  90      1st   substitute

7     2    1    2.30  103    1st   not playing

Well, I was just trying to say he'd be better as a sub.

6 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

I get what you mean, however, the 5 games he's played as sub, we've won 3 drawn 1 lost 1(the Lincoln debacle) with us winning 2, drawing 2 and losing 1 when he came on. That's a better record than we currently have at 2 ppg.

When he doesn't play at all, we have won 7 drawn 2 lost 1, which is better than we currently have at 2.3 ppg.

When he has started, we have won 13 drawn 10 lost 7, which gives us 1.6 ppg.

Here's the totals for us now and where we would be if those results continued all season.

W    D    L   PPG  Total  Pos.

23   13  9    1.82  82      4th   current

13  10   7    1.63  73      9th   starting

3     1    1    2.00  90      1st   substitute

7     2    1    2.30  103    1st   not playing

Well, I was just trying to say he'd be better as a sub.

Yeah I had seen that already and like I say there's some merit in it, but we all know stats aren't the be all and end all when it comes to such small numbers. Like 5 games as a sub is no basis for anything, it's like me flipping a coin and getting 5 heads and then debating that heads are likely to come up far more often than tails. We all watch the games and have opinions on best formations etc and stats help that, but stats aren't a certainty that things would continue in the same vein. 

On 29/04/2022 at 10:24, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2022-04-29 at 10.22.55.png

"It attacked my respiratory system, I had pneumonia and then pleurisy. I was struggling.

“I was in there (hospital) a full week, full 24 hours’ oxygen. I’ve not talked about this and I’ll be honest with you, I was scared. I went through a four-hour period in the emergency room with three cardiac nurses around me."

He accepts there was a very real possibility he could have died: "I look back and think, my goodness, it was that level.

"For those 48 hours it must have been bedlam for them. I’ve got a little girl, 11, and she’d have been petrified. My mum was in bits. I got a message to them that I was all right.”

But of course Kevin Pressman's Pen thinks he should have stopped almost dying and kept us up

FFS

This shizzle gets me SOOOO livid

I can cope with someone saying they don't like a manager
I can cope with people questioning tactics, lineups, substitutions etc
I can even cope with someone saying they don't like a managers personality or way he goes about things

But to say a manager relegated us when he was in such a bad way in hospital - I'm sorry but that's just ******** out of order and says nothing about Darren Moore but everything about the people that suggest he should have just jumped out of hospital bed and kept us up

It's such a lowlife scummy argument to try and make

Totally unfair critique of a fellow wednesdayite and inaccurate charecrerisation of his views DM health issues are well documented but played NO part whatsoever in his choice of asking a team mired in a relegation battle with defenders low on confidence to ‘play it out’ it was sheer folly and was shown to be so.i guess you can add me too to your ‘list’. Too eh? You know the one that’s headed ‘having a different opinion to you on DM