Lee Gregory - Fastest double in football history?

I remember a Wednesday match against Man Utd where Best scored and then tackled the guy at the restart ran through and scored again -  although he may have wasted seconds running rings round players on the way.

• Haha 3

Gregory’s winning goal was absolutely brilliant. Steam straight into the opposites from kick off after scoring our equaliser, win the ball back, carry it down that god awful pitch and lash it into the corner from the edge of the box. Pure determination

• Like 4
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I'm not sure exactly how long it was between his second and third goals, but it was very quick. In terms of actual play time it was just a few seconds of course, which will be very difficult for any one player to ever beat, given that the opposition kicks off.

The quickest ever brace from the same player that I could Google was this one from the Brazilian league, timed at 47 seconds. Was Gregory faster than that? I saw 45 seconds mentioned in one match report.

(Pedants - yes I know he scored a treble and not a brace, but I'm talking about the quickest two goals ever scored by the same player in a game!)

45 seconds was mentioned, and if it's right we hold a world record!

Fancy that, I bet Norris and Ross McWhirter are on their way to Hillsborough as we speak.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Banjaxed said:

I remember a Wednesday match against Man Utd where Best scored and then tackled the guy at the restart ran through and scored again -  although he may have wasted seconds running rings round players on the way.

1969 season at home?  Time almost up at 1-1.  Hardly noticed Best until then. Turned on his magic after taking the ball on the left wing, seemed to dribble past numerous Owls defenders both times, and bang it into the top corner!!   Mind you it was the season after we beat them 5-4 at home when they had Best, Law and Charlton on the forward line. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Willie Henderson said:

45 seconds was mentioned, and if it's right we hold a world record!

Fancy that, I bet Norris and Ross McWhirter are on their way to Hillsborough as we speak.

If the clock stops when the goal goes in, and restarts at the kick off - then it's only about six seconds, which is amazing really.

10 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Gregory’s winning goal was absolutely brilliant. Steam straight into the opposites from kick off after scoring our equaliser, win the ball back, carry it down that god awful pitch and lash it into the corner from the edge of the box. Pure determination

Think it's gonna end up being one of my all time favourite goals for all the reasons you said, plus the fact it was such an important goal to win us a really important match. 

• Like 1

It may have been 45 seconds but how long was the ball in play for? He scored then technically play stops and from the restart he scored again in what around 8 seconds? Technically wouldn't that mean 2 goals in less than 10 seconds of play? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

It may have been 45 seconds but how long was the ball in play for? He scored then technically play stops and from the restart he scored again in what around 8 seconds? Technically wouldn't that mean 2 goals in less than 10 seconds of play? 

Correct. I watched it back and got it as 7 seconds. Quite possibly a world record. Get the mcwherters over!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

That's what I was thinking. Once the ball crosses the goal line, play is dead until the ball is kicked again for a kick-off. Watching the video, there is less than 8 seconds between the kick-off and the ball hitting the back of the net again.