Man of the Match & Player Ratings vs Fleetwood (A)

Man of the Match?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match?

• Peacock-Farrell
    • Storey
    • Hutchinson
    • Palmer
    • Hunt
    • Johnson
    • Luongo
    • Byers
    • Bannan
    • Paterson
    • Gregory
    • Windass
    • Mendez-Laing
    • Dunkley

BPF - 6 - Had nothing to do other than pick the ball out of the net. They had two shots, and scored two goals. Could he have done better with the 1st?

Storey - 5 - Awful moment for him for the 1st goal, which totally knocked the stuffing out of us after a bright start. 

Hutchinson - 6 - Did alright, defended when he needed to. Lost his head in the 2nd half when things weren't going for us, and gave a couple of needless free kicks away.

Palmer - 6 - Didn't do too much wrong, but equally offered very little also. Unbalances us due to his reliance of his right foot in the LCB position, and too far fails to support and utilise space in front of him.

Hunt - 7 - Nice assist for Gregory's 1st goal, and put him in again a couple minutes later with a similar type of ball. Quieter in the 2nd half, but put in a shift again.

Johnson - 7 - Thought he and Bannan were our best players in the 1st half. They linked up superbly, and got in behind on a few occasions. Even in the 2nd half before his withdrawal, I felt he was the most likely source of creation. Surprised he was substituted, but tbf, NML caused them issues also.

Luongo - 7 - Much better performance than Saturday, and enabled us to control the game for large periods. Great run and assist for the crucial 2nd goal.

Byers - 6 - Another quiet game. Little effect on proceedings. 

Bannan - 8 - Once again, he was the main source of creativity and drive. Linked up well with Johnson, and constantly probed away.

Paterson - 6 - Caused Fleetwood problems early on, but doesn't offer much of a threat. That said, probably takes a lot of the burden of Gregory to allow him to get into goal-scoring positions.

Gregory - 9 - One of the most important hat-tricks in the club's recent history. Three different goals, epitomised by his willingness to graft and put in the hard yards. Showed strength and composure for the 1st, a bravery and poachers instinct for the 2nd, and determination & a clinical finish for his 3rd. A genuine match-winning, potential playoff clinching performance. 

Mendez-Laing - 7 - Positive contribution, and his added pace gave Fleetwood's RWB a real headache

Windass - 6 - Little contribution, bar a couple of snatched efforts.

Dunkley - N/A - No mark, but he came on and did his job to perfection. Won every single header, and cleared every ball that came his way.

Overall ...

First off, another team selection where I was frankly baffled by, and it seemed another unnecessary plethora of changes that really didn't yield any benefit to performance, but we got away with it (again).

Last night, around the 60 minute mark, was the first time for a fair old while, I had serious doubts about our ability to make the playoffs. But, fair play to the players, they managed to dig deep, find that spark and turn, what would have been a catastrophic defeat, into a crucial victory.

Started the game brilliantly. Bannan & Johnson caused Fleetwood a whole host of issues down their right hand side, and after going ahead so early on, it looked like we'd have a pretty comfortable night against a very poor outfit.

Then, as we so often have done in, we've gifted them a path back into the game, lost all momentum and control, and then conceded a soft goal from another set piece. It's Wednesday...it was never going to be easy.

2nd half, we saw loads of the ball, but I felt our defenders were too ponderous and cowardly in possession (granted, the pitch didn't make things easy), and Fleetwood didn't have to work all that hard to defend against us. But, a bit of quality from Luongo, and Gregory's tenancity got us back into the game, and the winner swiftly followed.

In the end, once we got our noses in front, Fleetwood were never going to cause us any trouble... they were the worst side I've seen this season by a long, long way, and we saw the game out as comfortably as possible.

Huge result... but, only half a job done. But, if you'd have given us the opportunity to win a home game to guarantee our playoff position at the start of August, I'm sure we'd have all taken that.

• Like 1

Thanks to the 18 of you who voted, final scores are:

Fleetwood vs SWFC, 26th April 2022

Peacock-Farrell: 6.0

Storey: 5.6

Hutchinson: 6.6

Palmer: 6.4

Hunt: 6.7

Johnson: 5.8

Luongo: 7.1

Bannan: 8.0

Byers: 6.2

Gregory: 9.7 - MoM

Paterson: 6.3

Mendez-Laing: 7.4

Windass: 6.1

Dunkley: 7.0

Team Rating: 6.76

• Thanks 3

On 28/04/2022 at 04:38, Emerson Thome said:

Thanks to the 18 of you who voted, final scores are:

Fleetwood vs SWFC, 26th April 2022

Peacock-Farrell: 6.0

Storey: 5.6

Hutchinson: 6.6

Palmer: 6.4

Hunt: 6.7

Johnson: 5.8

Luongo: 7.1

Bannan: 8.0

Byers: 6.2

Gregory: 9.7 - MoM

Paterson: 6.3

Mendez-Laing: 7.4

Windass: 6.1

Dunkley: 7.0

Team Rating: 6.76

Apologies once more I'm sad to say. Of the hi-lites I thought plugs points and timing was out. Generally we performed 5's and 6's but first 15 minutes performed at 8's same as seeing the game out. Gregory sealed his MOTM with his 30 second burst to complete his hat-trick.

But no recriminations as the win meant everything !

Thanks ET.