HE’S OUR STRIKER HE’S OUR NUMBER NINE

56 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

We'd have won the league if Windass played 40 games this season. You could see his quality last night in half an hour, playing in the hole and running at the defenders and linking up well with the centre mids and centre forwards. He's the partner we've been hoping to play alongside Gregory and i think if these two start the playoffs together we've got an unbelievable chance. Not bashing Berahino or Pato, they've both contributed massively, but Windass is the stand out to play with LG, you could see that last night

Yep. From the glimpses we’ve seen of those two together, they’re by far our best partnership.

Edited by SallyCinnamon

15 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Genuine question, how would your ‘different style’ have stopped the defensive error and standard poor defending of set pieces that led to their 2 goals which meant we needed 3? And what does that have to do with who is up top? 

Kamberi and Pato pressing hard with a more direct style stops the counters that always seem to end up with a dodgy foul in midfield as we're playing further up, less likely to be caught in possession as were not tapping it around midfield and their defence don't have time to pick out the pass.

Kamberi and Pato are the best we have for defensive set peices, Kamberi's cleared loads this season, including one where he hoofed it then got under his own clearance while everyone else was still standing round.

As we have movement up front the long ball is back on as the threat of getting in behind is back too, so no playing it out feom the back.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

Morning.

Great game, great goals from him.

However, everything I said tactically still stands and was magnified by that game.

I'm sure someone will get bored and go through my post history to check.

Lets start with the three goals.

Ball to Gregory in D. Check.

Byline cross. Check.

Defensive mistake. Check.

Now the game.

Gregory starts faster than anyone else.

We play at 100% for 10-15 minutes.

They mark up and stop the pass.

We drop to walking pace.

We have no answers and tap it around.

Stupid free kick on break leads to goal.

Static feont line, no movement.

No press at all from us.

Then the next thing.

The only thing that can save this formation is the pace and movement of NML and/or Windass.

They come on, the defence gets a bit stretched, we score.

The last goal, as I said, he switches on instantly, while everyone else is still shocked and gets another.

Believe it or not, I really like Gregory. I've said before. From the kickoff, there's nobody better in the league for 5-10 minutes. But he doesn't have the stamina or workrate to lead the line for 90 minutes. He's not a man that you build a side around. If we had kept him as a sub and used him fresh v tired defences for the last 20-30 minutes all season, he'd probably have scored 20. And we'd have walked the league.

I'm happy that we won, happy for Lee, my issue isn't with him, it's with DM and building a side around him.

But make no mistake, yesterday was another example of how to beat us and a better team would have.

Just enjoy the win mate x

13 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Kamberi and Pato pressing hard with a more direct style stops the counters that always seem to end up with a dodgy foul in midfield as we're playing further up, less likely to be caught in possession as were not tapping it around midfield and their defence don't have time to pick out the pass.

Kamberi and Pato are the best we have for defensive set peices, Kamberi's cleared loads this season, including one where he hoofed it then got under his own clearance while everyone else was still standing round.

As we have movement up front the long ball is back on as the threat of getting in behind is back too, so no playing it out feom the back.

How many goals are the Patto/ Kamberi combo going to score? I’ve seen every game bar three this season (either live or on ifollow) and even though I like Patterson and can see Kamberi has a role I can’t even begin to imagine that they would score enough goals or create enough chances between them to see us in top six. 

I admire your commitment to the point you are arguing but it just doesn’t reflect the reality of what I have seen this season. Which is Gregory is an essential and influential player for us and has deserved his starting place very time I’ve seen him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

How many goals are the Patto/ Kamberi combo going to score? I’ve seen every game bar three this season (either live or on ifollow) and even though I like Patterson and can see Kamberi has a role I can’t even begin to imagine that they would score enough goals or create enough chances between them to see us in top six. 

I admire your commitment to the point you are arguing but it just doesn’t reflect the reality of what I have seen this season. Which is Gregory is an essential and influential player for us and has deserved his starting place very time I’ve seen him. 

They don't have to score.

It's a team game. As long as the team score more than the opposition then it's all good. If you don't concede you only need one per game.

Anyway, as I've said before, my ideal would be Kamberi for 60-70 minutes then a fresh Gregory coming on to terrorise a tired defence. 

We'd have walked the league with that.

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

You do realise this is a forum that has no bearing on anything, it was just idle thought.

Anyway, I'll explain.

Fleetwood prior to yesterday scored 18 set play goals, to only 33 open play.

So, to us, who have a great open play defence, we have 5 players, in Kamberi, Pato, Storey, Dunkley and Dean who are great defensively in the air. So one goal not getting conceded. It's also not going to be playing out from the back, so both their goals wouldn't have happened.

Fleetwood have also conceded 18 goals from set pieces, joint 4th with us. So big men for the win there.

It would also play a more open, direct game, with loads of movement and press from the front which has worked v every team we've played it against this season.

So, on the whole, probably would have won this game pretty easily.

Let it go , for goodness sake.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Oh, I did. Always do.

It's why I never come on here straight before or after a game.

Just replying to a couple of invites to this thread from folks post game.

Nights like last night are few and far between when your a Wednesday fan … Everyone knows we are far from the finished article

but last night I went from sheer frustration to sheer ecstasy in 96 mins 😂

Great nights sleep…..Great banter at work….Just enjoy it when we can …it doesn’t happen enough !!!

Anyway …Roll on Saturday..WAWAW 

45 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

You asked, I replied.

I think it's you who needs to let it go, friend.

Your the one on a negative after we win.

Your the one constantly finding something to whinge.

I am absoluteLee delighted. Well done DM. 

2 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Your the one on a negative after we win.

Your the one constantly finding something to whinge.

I am absoluteLee delighted. Well done DM. 

This is why I never post just before or on the evening of a match. 

I think you'll find, everything I posted today was in reply, making a point that I've been making since October, so it's not a new thing that I brought up just after a win.

It was you who brought up a post from before the match, and asked a question, which I answered.

You could, instead of making random posts about being negative, refute my answers, thus leading to a discussion about the relative merits or downfalls of football tactics and selections which is what I though a football forum was for.

I've been open in my views from the start, and welcome any discussion on why I'm wrong, I even usually put at the end that I hope I'm wrong but it's been pretty accurate so far.

• Haha 1

Just now, theowlsman said:

I'm nominating the Blade an honorary Owl for life.

Any objections?

He IS NOT A BLADE!!!

I know that he comes from a blade family and surely supported them in his youth, but he's surely no Blade anymore!!!

Would you trust a Blade to play for us in the playoffs?

1 minute ago, GermanBird said:

He IS NOT A BLADE!!!

I know that he comes from a blade family and surely supported them in his youth, but he's surely no Blade anymore!!!

Would you trust a Blade to play for us in the playoffs?

No objections then? lol