HE’S OUR STRIKER HE’S OUR NUMBER NINE

7 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Doesn't have the stamina or work rate to lead the line for 90 minutes. He's one of the hardest working strikers in this division.

He has poor stamina? I've done a quick count, and 6 of his 15 goals have come after 60 minutes played... and that's just counting the games he's starting in. Read that again. More than a third of his total goals have come in the final third of games that he's started. After more than an hour of playing football.

Can you explain to the class how someone with such poor stamina scores more goals in the final third of a game than the first two thirds? Looking forward to hearing this one.

Simple. Just watch him.

The full game, not just the highlights.

He plays in bursts. The first 10-15 after kickoff, then a minute or two here and there of high intensity, with a lot of slow jogging in between while the other striker picks up the slack. He needs another player, usually Kamberi, Pato, or more recently NML to do this, always has. When he was playing with Berahino, Bannan did most of the chasing. That's why he couldn't play alone in the 4231. They do the running and he stays in the middle, usually in the D if were forward.

For 80 minutes of this game, there was no movement, no pressing, he was static.

That's why we couldn't find a pass all game and were stuck passing it round the back, and only got a breakthrough when NML started making breaks.

You can say many things about him, but, to allude to John Lennon, 'Hardest working in the league, he's not even the hardest working in the team'

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Simple. Just watch him.

The full game, not just the highlights.

He plays in bursts. The first 10-15 after kickoff, then a minute or two here and there of high intensity, with a lot of slow jogging in between while the other striker picks up the slack. He needs another player, usually Kamberi, Pato, or more recently NML to do this, always has. When he was playing with Berahino, Bannan did most of the chasing. That's why he couldn't play alone in the 4231. They do the running and he stays in the middle, usually in the D if were forward.

For 80 minutes of this game, there was no movement, no pressing, he was static.

That's why we couldn't find a pass all game and were stuck passing it round the back, and only got a breakthrough when NML started making breaks.

You can say many things about him, but, to allude to John Lennon, 'Hardest working in the league, he's not even the hardest working in the team'

But you do concede that if you break down his goals from games he starts, he scores the most in the final third. You accept this, right? 

The guy with crap stamina scores most of his goals at the end of the game. Nice logic fam.

1 minute ago, Quickly Kevin said:

What utter drivel.

It's all true.

That's why we were bloody close to losing v a team that had won one in 19.

Too many times this season we go on top, then teams mark up and we lose control. We're too one dimensional. If Fleetwood were a bit more switched on in the first couple of minutes and after the second goal, we'd have lost that game, as once they cut out the pass, we had nothing.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tewkesbury said:

It's all true.

That's why we were bloody close to losing v a team that had won one in 19.

Too many times this season we go on top, then teams mark up and we lose control. We're too one dimensional. If Fleetwood were a bit more switched on in the first couple of minutes and after the second goal, we'd have lost that game, as once they cut out the pass, we had nothing.

No its not.

You are embarassing yerself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

But you do concede that if you break down his goals from games he starts, he scores the most in the final third. You accept this, right? 

The guy with crap stamina scores most of his goals at the end of the game. Nice logic fam.

But to do this, he gives up on pressing, running, movement.

All the things your main striker should be doing, he needs someone else to do for him. Barry Bannan makes more runs and does more pressing than he does.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

Morning.

Great game, great goals from him.

However, everything I said tactically still stands and was magnified by that game.

I'm sure someone will get bored and go through my post history to check.

Lets start with the three goals.

Ball to Gregory in D. Check.

Byline cross. Check.

Defensive mistake. Check.

Now the game.

Gregory starts faster than anyone else.

We play at 100% for 10-15 minutes.

They mark up and stop the pass.

We drop to walking pace.

We have no answers and tap it around.

Stupid free kick on break leads to goal.

Static feont line, no movement.

No press at all from us.

Then the next thing.

The only thing that can save this formation is the pace and movement of NML and/or Windass.

They come on, the defence gets a bit stretched, we score.

The last goal, as I said, he switches on instantly, while everyone else is still shocked and gets another.

Believe it or not, I really like Gregory. I've said before. From the kickoff, there's nobody better in the league for 5-10 minutes. But he doesn't have the stamina or workrate to lead the line for 90 minutes. He's not a man that you build a side around. If we had kept him as a sub and used him fresh v tired defences for the last 20-30 minutes all season, he'd probably have scored 20. And we'd have walked the league.

I'm happy that we won, happy for Lee, my issue isn't with him, it's with DM and building a side around him.

But make no mistake, yesterday was another example of how to beat us and a better team would have.

You wanted Kamberi in for Gregory, in your team selection. How bizarre!!!

4 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

No its not.

You are embarassing yerself.

Yep, it is.

That's why we drop points vs crap teams all season. Mark us up and without pace or a bit of individual magic we have nothing.

Yesterday, Gregory provided it, but as I've said, we scored one open play goal in the 4 preceding and it was goal of the season.

We have one tactic, sometimes it works, yesterday it did, just. Do you think it'll work in the next 3 playoff games?

• Haha 2

Just now, Asio otus said:

You wanted Kamberi in for Gregory, in your team selection. How bizarre!!!

If my team selection had played, maybe we wouldn't have needed a hattrick as it would have played a different style.

On another note, I honestly think we've seen the last of Kamberi in a Wednesday shirt.

We'd have won the league if Windass played 40 games this season. You could see his quality last night in half an hour, playing in the hole and running at the defenders and linking up well with the centre mids and centre forwards. He's the partner we've been hoping to play alongside Gregory and i think if these two start the playoffs together we've got an unbelievable chance. Not bashing Berahino or Pato, they've both contributed massively, but Windass is the stand out to play with LG, you could see that last night

The hat-trick will give Gregory a massive confidence boast just at the right time. With Windass back, and hopefully his striking partner for the run in, we finally look to have a settled and quality front two.

What's not to like?

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, sage owl said:

I hope he's right 

It's a shame though, as he was the perfect foil for Gregory, providing all of the things that I've mentioned above that Gregory lacks with Windass out.

He seemed to have given up towards the end, but I hope he gets another loan into league one as he'd make a great striker for one of the lower pressing teams.

37 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

If my team selection had played, maybe we wouldn't have needed a hattrick as it would have played a different style.

On another note, I honestly think we've seen the last of Kamberi in a Wednesday shirt.

Nothing wrong with DMs team sélection, tactics or substitutions. Game won. Your choice to have left Gregory out of the side is unbelievably bizarre !!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Genuine question, how would your ‘different style’ have stopped the defensive error and standard poor defending of set pieces that led to their 2 goals which meant we needed 3? And what does that have to do with who is up top? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Nothing wrong with DMs team sélection, tactics or substitutions. Game won. Your choice to have left Gregory out of the side is unbelievably bizarre !!

You do realise this is a forum that has no bearing on anything, it was just idle thought.

Anyway, I'll explain.

Fleetwood prior to yesterday scored 18 set play goals, to only 33 open play.

So, to us, who have a great open play defence, we have 5 players, in Kamberi, Pato, Storey, Dunkley and Dean who are great defensively in the air. So one goal not getting conceded. It's also not going to be playing out from the back, so both their goals wouldn't have happened.

Fleetwood have also conceded 18 goals from set pieces, joint 4th with us. So big men for the win there.

It would also play a more open, direct game, with loads of movement and press from the front which has worked v every team we've played it against this season.

So, on the whole, probably would have won this game pretty easily.

• Haha 4