HE’S OUR STRIKER HE’S OUR NUMBER NINE

If your striker is chasing the ball down/players down all over the place, then surely he's not going to be in the right place where you need him/want him - in front of goal when a chance comes about. To be fair, if he is doing it in spells, fair enough, every player will need to catch their breath at some point so pass the player on to the next man and they can take on the chase.

If he's scoring goals in the last third of games then, clearly, he is still effective and still offering something to the team.

We can all say, I'd have played this formation with a certain approach after a game and say we would have won that easy compared to the way DM set up, truth is, we don't know if we would. Plenty of managers have set up a certain way in a game and it has gone wrong for whatever reason, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Saying we should have taken approach x, y or z we'd have walked it, you can't 100% say would have worked, there is no way to test that.

Back to the Gregory point - I'm not comparing them as players, but if someone can get a hat-trick from doing very little in a game then so be it, look at Romario. Literally he'd spend plenty of games doing naff all, no chasing, little running and bang, he'd score a goal or 3 and game over. It's not always about a player running around a lot, sometimes it is just about doing what you need to - scoring goals.

2 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

This is why I never post just before or on the evening of a match. 

I think you'll find, everything I posted today was in reply, making a point that I've been making since October, so it's not a new thing that I brought up just after a win.

It was you who brought up a post from before the match, and asked a question, which I answered.

You could, instead of making random posts about being negative, refute my answers, thus leading to a discussion about the relative merits or downfalls of football tactics and selections which is what I though a football forum was for.

I've been open in my views from the start, and welcome any discussion on why I'm wrong, I even usually put at the end that I hope I'm wrong but it's been pretty accurate so far.

Your views on DM are well known.

So even after a win you find a way to have a go at him 

DM has done an excellent job and deserves credit but some people for a variety of reasons cant bring themselves to acknowledge that.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Your views on DM are well known.

So even after a win you find a way to have a go at him 

DM has done an excellent job and deserves credit but some people for a variety of reasons cant bring themselves to acknowledge that.

Yes, but my point was, I didn't take the initiative to come on here after a win and be negative, others took the initiative to involve me in the conversation, you included.

I don't know why, internet points or summat, or to prove me wrong. Never mind.

However, as I've said, we have had the same tactical issues since October, and the fact that they still ring true even now says I may actually be on to something. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Yes, but my point was, I didn't take the initiative to come on here after a win and be negative, others took the initiative to involve me in the conversation, you included.

I don't know why, internet points or summat, or to prove me wrong. Never mind.

However, as I've said, we have had the same tactical issues since October, and the fact that they still ring true even now says I may actually be on to something. 

What tactical issues have we had?

Since the end of October we've - P30 W18 D6 L6 - 60 points, great form I'm sure even you would agree?

20 minutes ago, owl84 said:

What tactical issues have we had?

Since the end of October we've - P30 W18 D6 L6 - 60 points, great form I'm sure even you would agree?

The same tactical issurs that have plagued us all season.

No movement, getting caught in posession, giving away stupid free kicks.

The ones that almost lost us the game yesterday.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

The same tactical issurs that have plagued us all season.

No movement, getting caught in posession, giving away stupid free kicks.

The ones that almost lost us the game yesterday.

But they didn't and they haven't all season once we hit end of October and got a settled squad and tactics we've been brilliant.

Just now, owl84 said:

But they didn't and they haven't all season once we hit end of October and got a settled squad and tactics we've been brilliant.

Take away the bit in the middle, where we had to change the tactics due to injuries, and we're nowhere near the playoffs.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Take away the bit in the middle, where we had to change the tactics due to injuries, and we're nowhere near the playoffs.

You can't take any bit away. 

The season is viewed as a whole. 

So to recap our fans think:

Darren Moore is rubbish and has been doing it all wrong all season

Barry Bannan is rubbish and we should get rid because all our play goes through him and we'll be better when we're gone

Gregory shouldn't be on the pitch either because we don't win enough when he plays

Meanwhile we're sitting in a playoff spot, Darren Moore's tactics have got us 82 points and with the team firing on all cylinders with Bannan and Gregory playing and Bannan winning player of the year and Gregory our highest scorer in 10 years+

lol

You gotta laugh at this nonsense

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So to recap our fans think:

Darren Moore is rubbish and has been doing it all wrong all season

Barry Bannan is rubbish and we should get rid because all our play goes through him and we'll be better when we're gone

Gregory shouldn't be on the pitch either because we don't win enough when he plays

Meanwhile we're sitting in a playoff spot, Darren Moore's tactics have got us 82 points and with the team firing on all cylinders with Bannan and Gregory playing and Bannan winning player of the year and Gregory our highest scorer in 10 years+

lol

You gotta laugh at this nonsense

I do!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tewkesbury said:

You do realise this is a forum that has no bearing on anything, it was just idle thought.

Anyway, I'll explain.

Fleetwood prior to yesterday scored 18 set play goals, to only 33 open play.

So, to us, who have a great open play defence, we have 5 players, in Kamberi, Pato, Storey, Dunkley and Dean who are great defensively in the air. So one goal not getting conceded. It's also not going to be playing out from the back, so both their goals wouldn't have happened.

Fleetwood have also conceded 18 goals from set pieces, joint 4th with us. So big men for the win there.

It would also play a more open, direct game, with loads of movement and press from the front which has worked v every team we've played it against this season.

So, on the whole, probably would have won this game pretty easily.

Kamberi isn't "great defensively in the air ".

Even his mother or his agent wouldn't class him above average at anything connected with football. 

That said while he's our player he'll have my full support. 

9 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Kamberi isn't "great defensively in the air ".

Even his mother or his agent wouldn't class him above average at anything connected with football. 

That said while he's our player he'll have my full support. 

You can say what you want about Kamberi, but he was great defensively, both from the front and in our area.

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

You can say what you want about Kamberi, but he was great defensively, both from the front and in our area.

It may have been his best attribute but he was nowhere near great at anything. He ran about a lot that was all , any fit young bloke could have done what he has done for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sage owl said:

It may have been his best attribute but he was nowhere near great at anything. He ran about a lot that was all , any fit young bloke could have done what he has done for us. 

He was pretty much the biggest indicator of a good defence.

Here's goals against per 90 minutes.

When he plays, we concede less.

Screenshot_20220427-163820_Brave.jpg

10 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

He was pretty much the biggest indicator of a good defence.

Here's goals against per 90 minutes.

When he plays, we concede less.

Screenshot_20220427-163820_Brave.jpg

Mate you believe what you want I'll believe my eyes and my experience of watching and playing football. 

He's an extremely poor footballer and will still be even if he scores the winner in the play off final.