It’s the inconsistency that gets me. Dunkley booked for his first tackle. The number 3 got at least 3 cynical fouls on Mendez-Laing before even being spoken to.

The injury time was pathetic too. Just a week on from enduring 12 minutes at MK, the bloke couldn’t wait to blow up despite what seemed like every wycombe player needing treatment in the second half. Not that I think it would’ve made much difference given how poor we were after conceding.

We’ve only ourselves to blame after failing, yet again to beat a big physical side. 

• Like 3

Just now, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Agree the ref generally was good and let game flow, also added plenty of time in at the end due to their time wasting.

But the two BIG calls he had to make he got wrong.  See it all the time standard in of referees is worst it's been in my lifetime. 

Thought there should have been even more time added on. Was listening to their commentary on the feed and they were also saying that it's minimum 7 mins and definitely likely to be more as they time wasted even more during the 7 mins. Then the reff ended up blowing about 5 seconds before 7 mins when we were attacking. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wiggy said:

It’s the inconsistency that gets me. Dunkley booked for his first tackle. The number 3 got at least 3 cynical fouls on Mendez-Laing before even being spoken to.

The injury time was pathetic too. Just a week on from enduring 12 minutes at MK, the bloke couldn’t wait to blow up despite what seemed like every wycombe player needing treatment in the second half. Not that I think it would’ve made much difference given how poor we were after conceding.

We’ve only ourselves to blame after failing, yet again to beat a big physical side. 

How do you reach that conclusion?

Yesterday was always likely to be a very tight affair, with any marginal gains being significant.

For the ref to chalk off a perfectly good goal which would have given us the lead and allowed us to keep things tight and look to pick off Wycombe on the counter, we can blame him, too.

It was a pivotal decision.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The only way I can see it not being given is if the ref missed the incident and only started looking at it at the very last moment, as Dunkley and their defender wrestled with each other.

But surely the assistant referee was watching?

Looking at the replay the ref points towards the centre of the goal, so I'm not sure he even saw Dunkley's tussle.

I assume it was a supposed foul on the GK, which I really can't see.

Unless he did see Dunks and was indicating a penalty and then changed his mind.

Christ knows, but it was a poor decision for sure.

I really wish referees were ablidged to attend a post match press conference so they could explain their actions. Their untouchable and unaccountable position really annoys me.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Willie Henderson said:

Looking at the replay the ref points towards the centre of the goal, so I'm not sure he even saw Dunkley's tussle.

I assume it was a supposed foul on the GK, which I really can't see.

Unless he did see Dunks and was indicating a penalty and then changed his mind.

Christ knows, but it was a poor decision for sure.

I really wish referees were ablidged to attend a post match press conference so they could explain their actions. Their untouchable and unaccountable position really annoys me.

To be honest think ref was concentrating on the melee around the keeper and not looking at the Dunkley tussle, then when ball goes to back post he catches end of their grapple and gives foul to give benefit of doubt to the defender.  

• Like 1

We thought the refs were bad in the Championship but the ones who perform badly at that level get relegated to League 1.

Poor officiating is an inevitable consequence of relegation and that one is on the chairman.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

How do you reach that conclusion?

Yesterday was always likely to be a very tight affair, with any marginal gains being significant.

For the ref to chalk off a perfectly good goal which would have given us the lead and allowed us to keep things tight and look to pick off Wycombe on the counter, we can blame him, too.

It was a pivotal decision.

Yes, not denying it was pivotal. But how many times did we work the goal keeper over 90 minutes.

We offered next to nothing after they scored. The game became scrappy and we had no answer.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Tarquin said:

This ref has been in my "little book" of infamy ever since the 17/04/2017 away at QPR . The reason was that he saw Clint Hill sythe down Sougue who would have been clean through on goal and didn`t even give a foul . Sougue went off to Hospital whilst  the ref proceeded to give no penalty when Joau  was about to shoot in the area and found he only had one leg to stand on .

The real choker for me though is to find out later that he lived in Battersea, he could have got to the match by bus or tube. In those days it was , I believe, the rule that you couldn`t referee in the same FA area as the one you lived in . Now its governed by who they supported. 

He did nowt yesterday to improve my opinion of him 

Same guy eh? That Hill foul remains one of the worst refereeing decision I've ever witnessed... I still get angry thinking about it!!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, ANDY said:

someone said the ref initially signalled a goal but the assistant saw a “foul”.  

They were down by the corner flag, they couldn't possibly have seen a foul at the far post with at least a dozen players in the way. The ref had a clear view. 

Laughable decision but the squad just have to let it go and move on unfortunately. Full focus on Tuesday and no distractions, no excuses. A very clear-cut job to do and we must let nothing stand in our way.

Need to be getting ourselves in a position where even a crap referee can’t really make the difference because we’re already two or three goals clear.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Agree the ref generally was good and let game flow, also added plenty of time in at the end due to their time wasting.

But the two BIG calls he had to make he got wrong.  See it all the time standard in of referees is worst it's been in my lifetime. 

Agree. Yes, that's the difference in the standard of refereeing at this level, the ability to get the big decisions right. 

That said, some of the referees this season have been embarrassingly bad. 

11 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree. Yes, that's the difference in the standard of refereeing at this level, the ability to get the big decisions right. 

That said, some of the referees this season have been embarrassingly bad. 

End of day if you're good enough then referees performance is irrelevant. Our big players underperformed yesterday and created sod all in final 3rd. 

• Like 4

I think the refs haven’t been too bad compared to the Championship.

There will always be bad decisions and arguably biased refs, but it’s not something that has massively stood out for me this season.

Biggest grumble with refs I’ve had is not clamping down in time wasting and not adding enough time on.

However, the disallowed goal yesterday was an appalling decision.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

End of day if you're good enough then referees performance is irrelevant. Our big players underperformed yesterday and created sod all in final 3rd. 

Spot on. 

We are definitely a club that would benefit from VAR over the course of a season

For too many years now lots of ref’s have been borderline criminal against us

And the ‘it evens itself out over a season’ argument doesn’t stack up

Its not even close to evening itself out.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

But we were good enough to take a deserved 0-1 lead and yet we lost 1-0.

Yes, we should have done better in the rest of the game, but it was always going to be a tight game. Having the lead incorrectly taken from us was quite significant, really.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

But we were good enough to take a deserved 0-1 lead and yet we lost 1-0.

Yes, we should have done better in the rest of the game, but it was always going to be a tight game. Having the lead incorrectly taken from us was quite significant, really.

Just seen the highlights for first time and yet again we were robbed by a crooked ref

So many times we get decisions against us when it’s OUR player who is being fouled

Some refs are bent 

The awful decision are infuriating but for me it's still better than the absolute farce that is VAR. 

I would take the odd awful decision, even if it loses us the match over having goals disallowed because someones toenail was offside 

Whilst i agree with the thrust of this thread in that the standard of Reffing inn this league is generally abysmal looking at the Dunkley disallowed goal i don't think it was incompetence i think it was cowardice 

He chose to give the easiest decision to give, which was a foul to the home side. Refs have been doing it since football began 

Looking at it, obviously with blue and white ( or rather pink and black ) specs, it looked to me that Dunkley was more sinned against than sinning but he was also pulling their player giving the Ref the easy option 

I think it was a poor decision and the goal should have stood but i'd bet a weeks money that when his assessor looks at it he won't be marked down because there was "enough" 6 of one half a dozen of the other going on for them to defend it 

• Like 3