Its why some still have doubts about Moore

On 25/04/2022 at 09:25, SiJ said:

You know, we do have a massive game on Tuesday night. 

Season defining. 

Whilst we are all frustrated with what happened on Saturday, perhaps we should live the full blown post-mortem/meltdowns until this season is done? 

I see similar comments and whilst there fair enough it’s a forum and people are just expressing their views 

None of what we say will make one iota of difference to our season.

Not about post-mortems 

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It's quite difficult to know where to start in terms of telling you why it's wrong, to be honest.

It just doesn't tally with what I'm seeing at all.

We look a far more coherent and consistent attacking threat with Gregory in the team than we do without him, as far as I can see.

Quite how having Gregory on the bench can somehow be responsible for how we play in the 70 or so minutes he's not even on the pitch is a new one on me - I'll just have to look out for it from here on in, I suppose.

As I said, it looks great, and against teams that let you, it will destroy them.

We will look better, our tactics are designed around Gregory, we play to his strengths, while minimising his weaknesses.

However, press hard, man mark Bannan and stop the ball to Gregory and we're easily countered, as we have no long option or pace to get in behind, so midfield is packed. This also means that when they do get the ball, it's easier to bang it back over the top as we're playing close together.

How many times have we lost the ball on the edge of the area, one ball over, then a stupid foul from Hutch or Mass to give them a free kick that's going straight into our box?

It's not our attack that's the issue when we play this way, it's our defence.

DM will play that way at every opportunity, even if he's only on for 20 minutes, the side is still set up to play that way, trained that week in that way, after all, it's our team tactic. The other way was a blip.

Credit to DM, he's tried to mitigate it as I said, NML, more long balls last game to try and open it up, however, we're too far down the path now to fundamentally change.

But he tried at the start of the season to build a team around a player that needs a specific playstyle and partner to be effective. 

He gambled everything on Gregory being good enough and Windass being fit enough to make it work.

Unfortunately, so far it hasn't. Maybe Windass coming back will save it, hope it does.

1 hour ago, Tewkesbury said:

As I said, it looks great, and against teams that let you, it will destroy them.

We will look better, our tactics are designed around Gregory, we play to his strengths, while minimising his weaknesses.

However, press hard, man mark Bannan and stop the ball to Gregory and we're easily countered, as we have no long option or pace to get in behind, so midfield is packed. This also means that when they do get the ball, it's easier to bang it back over the top as we're playing close together.

How many times have we lost the ball on the edge of the area, one ball over, then a stupid foul from Hutch or Mass to give them a free kick that's going straight into our box?

It's not our attack that's the issue when we play this way, it's our defence.

DM will play that way at every opportunity, even if he's only on for 20 minutes, the side is still set up to play that way, trained that week in that way, after all, it's our team tactic. The other way was a blip.

Credit to DM, he's tried to mitigate it as I said, NML, more long balls last game to try and open it up, however, we're too far down the path now to fundamentally change.

But he tried at the start of the season to build a team around a player that needs a specific playstyle and partner to be effective. 

He gambled everything on Gregory being good enough and Windass being fit enough to make it work.

Unfortunately, so far it hasn't. Maybe Windass coming back will save it, hope it does.

For all his flaws - when Kamberi has played we've picked up a lot of points.

We've tried eveyrthing else so far, might as well give him another run. 

Just now, TodwickOwl said:

For all his flaws - when Kamberi has played we've picked up a lot of points.

We've tried eveyrthing else so far, might as well give him another run. 

Kamberi is also our highest goalscorer in open play by goals/minute bar Windass.

Here's some fun stats.

First, goals/minute in open play.

Second, PPG when in the team.

Screenshot_20220426-123958_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20220426-113528_Brave.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bobness said:

Why do we still feel we need to keep apologising for Moore? Hasn't our squad proven itself? Don't we have arguably the best midfielder in the league on our books? People talk about Moore's rebuild as if we have a team full of nobodies pulling up trees every match.

Yes, Moore did a bloody good job with recruitment, but that doesn't mean he's doing a great job as a manager. On the basis of some excellent performances this season, I think Moore should've done better with this squad.

Half our squad got relegated with us from the Championship last season. So yes I guess that proves something about them.

The other half were players released by their previous clubs or loaned out because they were not wanted. So again I guess that proves something about them too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Half our squad got relegated with us from the Championship last season. So yes I guess that proves something about them.

The other half were players released by their previous clubs or loaned out because they were not wanted. So again I guess that proves something about them too.

They also won 7/8 games when the team picked itself and not playing neshball tactics.

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Are we really still doing the whole lose and its Moores fault but win and he gets no credit thing? 

This was about the squad proving itself.

However, I'll give him credit for winning those games when he couldn't play his normal style, but I'll also criticise him when he goes straight back to his normal style after the other style worked better.

Moore gets the blame because he picks the team and constantly changes it. He makes the substitutions takes Bannan off and we crumble. His team has looked defensively school boy like at many times leaveving huge gaps and the whole team look clueless many times during the season just looking at each other..... 

The players do have responsibility and have let us down at times too but the amount of times Moore has shot him self in the foot.... completely unnecessarily has been farcical. When ever has a team been in with a chance of promotion and so many supporters have little if any confidence in the manager....

• Like 1

Guest Musttryharder
19 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

YES PLEASE

Well said

The last few weeks have been just unbearable with people looking to snipe, cry and turn any result (even wins) into something to batter Darren Moore with

A week of pure support is exactly what I'd love to see

Will it happen?

Sadly not - there will be some out there who can't help but have a pop at Moore or even Bannan for that matter

Bonkers

In a season where we (hopefully) get promoted some fans have spent the whole season crying and moaning instead of enjoying it

Does my head in

Anyway - hope you're well and let's go wtih your plan this week as this week is the week to do it like you say

Hang about. The comments and the pops at Moore have been on this site ,OWLSTALK which represents a miniscule of the people who attend matches. Dont know about Twatter etc, but I dont witness much unrest at the actual games. Away following, home attendanxes show the support Wednesday get.

heated surrport.

Guest Musttryharder
1 minute ago, Musttryharder said:

Hang about. The comments and the pops at Moore have been on this site ,OWLSTALK which represents a miniscule of the people who attend matches. Dont know about Twatter etc, but I dont witness much unrest at the actual games. Away following, home attendanxes show the support Wednesday get.

heated surrport.

Dont know where the 'heated surrport' came from on my response.

Moore made a shaky start, then to some degree stumbled upon a formation that seemed to work for us despite having recruited for something completely different. We’ve had a few really good performances, strung a couple of decent runs together and yes there have been some mitigating factors, injuries once again have haunted us to some degree. He may point to bad luck at times but I’d argue those are situations we largely bought upon ourselves.

Personally, I just can’t see past the unforced errors in general play and the set piece debacle. Time after time we’ve handed the opposition the initiative in a game without them having to do an ounce of work for it. We have one of the best squads in this league, hands down some of the best individuals and yet the reason we are where we are is this continued and unaddressed theme of shooting ourselves in the foot........countless times.

Moore has failed to address some basic defensive shortcomings for an entire season, it’s unforgivable and it exhibits a clear lack of technical and tactical ability.

I began the season with a view that top 6 could be considered success but with the benefit of hindsight it’s clearly a poor league and we will have underachieved to miss out on a top two spot given how many times we’ve lead in games and let points slip through our fingers cheaply. Now, I think you could make a strong case to argue only promotion should save him and anything less probably won’t have been good enough.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1