Happy Birthday to the man who’s made this season a success

Just now, @owlstalk said:

That doesn't mean anything without context though

Of course it does, he is the best player in the division by far, and will also be one of the highest earners, Wycombe couldn't afford him (we probably can't either but that's a different story), you get what you pay for (or borrow for).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

If SWFC sold fish, chips and curry sauce in the ground we'd make that much money we could rival barcelona and Man United

If they sold anything vaguely resembling food it’d make em money. 

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Made plenty of progress though! 

Progress that a lot of the posters saying we should walk the league said was impossible and we'd go through the league and be relegation fodder...check the pre-season post of where we'd finish

• Like 1

Don't know how anyone can say it hasn't been both a success and a pleasing surprise that we are actually competing. 

We had no team, could only sign loans and frees, yet in spite of all that (and with the help of a good mid term window) Moore has crafted a side that looks like a proper team, plays decent football and wins.

With all the changes that took place it was always going to take time for things to gel and the second half of the season they certainly have.

Even if we don't make it this season there is plenty of cause for optimism going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Not read about those but they’d definitely help.

in general though, I’d expect the only squad with almost completely Championship standard players to win the division.

Especially when that manager is basically given the budget to get whichever free transfer or loan player he wants.

Furthermore, we would be in the automatic places if he’d signed more centre backs instead of wingers that now don’t fit into the style we’ve played all season.

How anybody can look at the actual facts and conclude any differently is a mystery to me.

'Success' has many faces.....FAILURE only one.......this season in my view should have seen us get automatic promotion.....Rotherham have sat there most of the season,and even with appalling form pre & post Wembley ...STILL sit in a Auto promotion spot,with a game in hand on MK Dons...

Thus i will reserve judgement on agreeing with the OP....until season end....Will we snatch victory from the jaws of defeat?.....Is it REALLY a claim for success to achieve 3rd,4th,5th,6th place in Div 3?....irrespective of a 25% chance of pot luck through the 'Play Offs'? & UTTER DESPAIR if not...?

as we used to say in the Army   WAIT OUT.. AND hAPPY bIRTHDAY

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, parajack said:

Is it REALLY a claim for success to achieve 3rd,4th,5th,6th place in Div 3?

Not if you're deluded enough to think we should be at the top end of the Championship or in the Prem but, if the straightjacket fits lol

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

For me it’s been a success.

Of course that’s doesn’t mean I won’t be disappointed and rue missed opportunities if we don’t go up. 

But for me personally? I’m still unable to go to games, and as a long-standing season ticket holder that hurts. With that, plus crap football last season with players going through the motions and games behind closed doors, I really almost stopped caring because football stopped being enjoyable. 

This season, even though I’ve not stepped foot inside Hillsborough, I’ve found a spark with the club again. Forget the owner. But I’ve bought into this team and I’ve bought into Darren Moore’s long-term strategy. 

We’ve not been perfect. But I’ve seen genuine growth and exciting football, and that’s been a genuine pleasure to watch at times, albeit on my laptop and not at Hillsborough.

Happy Birthday Darren Moore - thanks for signing Marvin Johnson. 

Echo every word of this - including the personal circumstances, I'm a long-standing ST holder but haven't been able to go to many games this season.

Last season was tortuous, I disengaged for half of it and only really tuned back into the club out of desperation for us to find a way to stay up - only to experience the disappointment us Wednesdayites know all too well.

But thanks in no small part to Darren and the work he's put in, I genuinely feel back in touch with the club, despite the fact that Pompey will only be my fifth game of the season.

His positivity is absolutely infectious, both for the fans and players. He's come into a club in a mess, assembled a new squad and since the turn of the year has instilled a true winning mentality that I genuinely think might carry us all the way to promotion - and if it doesn't, I won't be hounding him out, I'll be right behind him for another tilt at it next season.

Happy Birthday Darren

• Like 2
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

Not if you're deluded enough to think we should be at the top end of the Championship or in the Prem but, if the straightjacket fits lol

Mate,why not critique or debate what i have posted,rather than something I have niether said OR implied?.....Is it really delusional to have the view we should have done at least as well as Rotherham?...or just a different view to your own?(and those who share your view that DM has done ok?)

I have said i dont think its an achievement to finish 3,4,5, or 6th in Div 3...(with the squad,mainly Championship players,and prob largest wages budget in L1)I feel we should have done much better....

Some agree,some dont......no mention of the PL OR the Championship in my post...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, parajack said:

Mate,why not critique or debate what i have posted,rather than something I have niether said OR implied?.....Is it really delusional to have the view we should have done at least as well as Rotherham?...or just a different view to your own?(and those who share your view that DM has done ok?)

I have said i dont think its an achievement to finish 3,4,5, or 6th in Div 3...(with the squad,mainly Championship players,and prob largest wages budget in L1)I feel we should have done much better....

Some agree,some dont......no mention of the PL OR the Championship in my post...

Let's just wait till the end of the season, till we give Rotherham any more praise. I don't want to immagine your posts, if we had a form table like this right now

image.png

Edited by GermanBird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

This definitely explains all your utterly utterly bizarre rants all season and getting angrymad if we dont' smash ten goals in every game home and away

Totally uncalled for and personal,my view is well,simply my view.....You should know better.....post not the person posting I dont sit here raging behind my keyboard.....describing views you disagree with as 'rants' is just labelling.....

My critique of our manager started last year with my dislike of his tactics, and playing it out........'style'...  we have run of impressive results and performances and a few lucky ones.....took us to the brink of promotion......DM deserves credit for that and i have said such......but i hope its not too late   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Let's just wait till the end of the season, till we give Rotherham any more praise. I don't want to immagine your posts, if we had a form table like this right now

image.png

Another post about things i havnt said......

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I would put forward the argument that this attitude is very naive and a reason why we get so many meltdowns after a game if we have only one one nil even though we got three points

It's a self entitled unrealistic viewpoint in my opinion

When we were relegated we had serious serious issues, and putting together a brand new squad at the last minute and trying to succeed in this league was always going to be a massive task.

But some fans just disregard any obstacles, reasons, logic or understandable challenges and instead just say 'nahhh we should be automataically promoted because we're a massive club and our wage bill is highest'

It's naive

And a massive sense of unrealistic entitlement

It's why we get fans confused why we didn't stay up in the Championship despite transfer embargos, fines, manager in hospital fighting for his life, players not getting paid etc

And it's why we get meltdowns from the same small group of fans if we don't smash every team ten nil

100% agree with you.

We are out of FFP, that in it's self is a success, but the way Moore has managed the squad through all it's difficulties this season show's the potential he has to begin the long haul, back with us.

Just need Mr Chansiri to stick with the plan.