Happy Birthday to the man who’s made this season a success

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Has also started to repair the relationship between club/players and the fans in a very positive way indeed

Little things that he and the players have done this season have gone a long long way to a positive atmosphere

Also - Chansiri giving him the space and time and letting Moore run things has paid off hugely

Wow...we're on a roll, two out of two!

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah but apart from all that we should go up this season because our wage bill and we're Wednesday and we have the big crowds etc

Mainly because we have the best players.

The only reason we aren’t top 2 is because of an unbalanced squad - especially for the 3-5-2 we’ve played most of the season.

If we’d signed two centre backs instead of Shodipo, Green and Corbeanu we’d already be up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Mainly because we have the best players.

The only reason we aren’t top 2 is because of an unbalanced squad - especially for the 3-5-2 we’ve played most of the season.

If we’d signed two centre backs instead of Shodipo, Green and Corbeanu we’d already be up.

I do hear what you're saying and what you're saying does hold some truth, but when Moore took over we were in an absolutely catatonic state and looked like we'd slide straight down through to the league below no matter who we signed

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

32 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I would put forward the argument that this attitude is very naive and a reason why we get so many meltdowns after a game if we have only one one nil even though we got three points

It's a self entitled unrealistic viewpoint in my opinion

When we were relegated we had serious serious issues, and putting together a brand new squad at the last minute and trying to succeed in this league was always going to be a massive task.

But some fans just disregard any obstacles, reasons, logic or understandable challenges and instead just say 'nahhh we should be automataically promoted because we're a massive club and our wage bill is highest'

It's naive

And a massive sense of unrealistic entitlement

It wasn’t a brand new squad though was it?

Dawson

Wildsmith

Iorfa

Dunkley

Palmer

Luongo

Bannan

Dele Bashiru

Patterson

Windass

We had a good base that was strong straight through the spine.

He was then given a budget where he could get any free or loan he wanted.

It is unarguable that if he’d have signed players to fit the formation he’d end up playing most of the season we’d have gone up.

The ONLY reason we are not in the top 2 is because of dropped points due to a lack of centre backs.

The stats prove it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I do hear what you're saying and what you're saying does hold some truth, but when Moore took over we were in an absolutely catatonic state and looked like we'd slide straight down through to the league below no matter who we signed

No we didn’t!!!

You cannot possibly get relegated from this division with players like Bannan and Luongo - it’s not remotely possible.

This is just nonsense.

I take the point about rebuilding the squad but that is completely negated when the manager can then spend on wages what most rivals couldn’t even contemplate.

Wigan have had 27 players come in 

22 players go out and their manager got the job one week before the season  started and played more games than us 

Don't forget we was out of all the cups before the new year 

So the excuse of players gelling is just that a excuse 

Can't blame injuries on defenders either 

Poor management relying on crocks at the back 

Was easy to spot that iorfa,dunkley and Hutchinson was going to spend time out injured 

then there was the stupid tactics

Promotion through the playoffs is the minimum requirement, anything less is a fail 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

It's always the same fans who are:

If we don't immediately get promoted it's a failure

We should have scored more goals
Bannan is the problem - everything goes through him

Players should be able to play three games a week

Flares and running on the pitch aren't a problem so stop discussing it

Moore shouldn't have been relegated even though he was in hospital with Covid and double pneumonia

Get Westwood back
Nuhiu was a donkey

Hutchinson is god

etc etc

They're always the ones having massive massive massive meltdowns after every game regardless of performance, score or result

lol

(ps - you can also tell from their posts that they're absolutely frothing at the mouth ready to slate Moore if we don't get promoted - they just can't wait for it)

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

37 minutes ago, Miffed said:

No.... This was far worse than when we have been relegated previously, and I think some supporters are too quick to forget that

Players not being paid,
Points deduction

Transfer embargo

There was a very real threat that we could have struggled this year and there was seriouus talk amongst the fan base that we might drop straight through this league and into oblivion.

At the conclusion of last season, if you had offered me a mid-table finish this year, I would have snatched your hands off

Considering what Moore has had to work with, I think its actually impressive that we are even within a shout of the playoffs

He's had to deal with a big clearout, rebuild a squad from frees and loans. They've needed time to gel and get used to a whole new style of play.

And lets not forget the poor bloke was out of action having caught covid twice.

Happy Birthday Darren.

During the latter end of what was the debacle of last season, I was of the view we could easily go straight through this division. Such was the atmosphere of incompetence around the club. I'm delighted to be wrong and well done and happy birthday Darren. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

The only reason we aren't top two is because Gibson, Dunkley, Iorfa, Hutchinson, Luongo, Adeniran, Windass, Mendez Laing, Shadipo, Sow and the Arsenal loanee have all been injured/are injured at various times this season.  If Moore hadn't signed a large squad we would have been mid table at best.

• Love 2
  • Thanks 1

At the time of that pathetic capitulation in the FA cup game at Plymouth in January, if you’d said we would end up challenging hard for the play offs and even have an outside chance of automatic, there would have been mass hilarity. 

So, credit where it’s due to Darren Moore, his staff and the players for turning around what was looking like a totally embarrassing season and happy birthday big man. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Success is completely subjective and should quite rightly adapt to the environment. Last May I would've been happy with us not getting a double relegation. Last September I was expecting/hoping we'd sneak 6th place but now I'm expecting us to make a run at the top 2 and cement ourselves in 3rd/4th at worst. I'm not the person I was last May so why should I expect the same things. 

• Love 1

At no point last summer did I ever think we would go straight through L1 into L2. We simply already had too many good players still at the club for that to happen. Once we signed all those new players, it was a no brainer. I felt we would and should  challenge for promotion, which is how it’s turned out. 

There's been trouble and consternation with the players getting used to each other, injuries and yes, Darren Moore learning on the job. Most of us are happy with the situation we find ourselves in right now and we really should not be failing to at least make the play offs from this position. 

18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's always the same fans who are:

If we don't immediately get promoted it's a failure

We should have scored more goals
Bannan is the problem - everything goes through him

Players should be able to play three games a week

Flares and running on the pitch aren't a problem so stop discussing it

Moore shouldn't have been relegated even though he was in hospital with Covid and double pneumonia

Get Westwood back
Nuhiu was a donkey

Hutchinson is god

etc etc

They're always the ones having massive massive massive meltdowns after every game regardless of performance, score or result

lol

(ps - you can also tell from their posts that they're absolutely frothing at the mouth ready to slate Moore if we don't get promoted - they just can't wait for it)

Not true.

Look back and I’ve been one telling people to calm down and not overreact.

After the Oxford match, I was telling people we could still easily get in the play offs and I was laughed off the site. After the Gillingham match I started a thread telling everybody to calm down and not overreact.

I am not knee jerk from one week to another.

My opinion is that the only Championship standard squad in the league should get promoted and it has been throughout.

I’ve had abuse all season when I kept saying we were underperforming although most of those people have changed their tune as we’ve amassed 39 points from

the last 17 matches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1