Happy Birthday to the man who’s made this season a success

Just now, Miffed said:

No.... This was far worse than when we have been relegated previously, and I think some supporters are too quick to forget that

Players not being paid,
Points deduction

Transfer embargo

There was a very real threat that we could have struggled this year and there was seriouus talk amongst the fan base that we might drop straight through this league and into oblivion.

At the conclusion of last season, if you had offered me a mid-table finish this year, I would have snatched your hands off

Considering what Moore has had to work with, I think its actually impressive that we are even within a shout of the playoffs

He's had to deal with a big clearout, rebuild a squad from frees and loans. They've needed time to gel and get used to a whole new style of play.

And lets not forget the poor bloke was out of action for quite a having caught covid twice.

Happy Birthday Darren.

Yeah but apart from all that we should go up this season because our wage bill and we're Wednesday and we have the big crowds etc

• Haha 5

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I would put forward the argument that this attitude is naive and a reason why we get so many meltdowns after a game if we have only one one nil even though we got three points

It's a self entitled unrealistic viewpoint in my opinion

When we were relegated we had serious serious issues, and putting together a brand new squad at the last minute and trying to succeed in this league was always going to be a massive task.

But some fans just disregard any obstacles, reasons, logic or understandable challenges and instead just say 'nahhh we should be automataically promoted because we're a massive club and our wage bill is highest'

It's naive

I don't always agree with you, but I do on this one. The club was banned from buying players due to the owner and his finances. It's difficult to go out and get players with your hands tied. I was not a fan of Moore in the early days, but he's grown as a manager and his tactics and player positioning has improved except for set-pieces. I hope we can finish the season being promoted. If we do Neil it will be a Well Done Mr. Moore. UTO!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, doubled123456 said:

I don't always agree with you, but I do on this one. The club was banned from buying players due to the owner and his finances. It's difficult to go out and get players with your hands tied. I was not a fan of Moore in the early days, but he's grown as a manager and his tactics and player positioning has improved except for set-pieces. I hope we can finish the season being promoted. If we do Neil it will be a Well Done Mr. Moore. UTO!

Bang on mate - well said

Owlstalk Shop

For me it’s been a success.

Of course that’s doesn’t mean I won’t be disappointed and rue missed opportunities if we don’t go up. 

But for me personally? I’m still unable to go to games, and as a long-standing season ticket holder that hurts. With that, plus crap football last season with players going through the motions and games behind closed doors, I really almost stopped caring because football stopped being enjoyable. 

This season, even though I’ve not stepped foot inside Hillsborough, I’ve found a spark with the club again. Forget the owner. But I’ve bought into this team and I’ve bought into Darren Moore’s long-term strategy. 

We’ve not been perfect. But I’ve seen genuine growth and exciting football, and that’s been a genuine pleasure to watch at times, albeit on my laptop and not at Hillsborough.

Happy Birthday Darren Moore - thanks for signing Marvin Johnson. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Fantastic manager -our best for many years.

Getting more from the squad than sum of its parts, and has rebuilt a way of playing and confidence after the utter disaster of last season.

well done and happy birthday gaffer.

• Like 2

Has also started to repair the relationship between club/players and the fans in a very positive way indeed

Little things that he and the players have done this season have gone a long long way to a positive atmosphere

Also - Chansiri giving him the space and time and letting Moore run things has paid off hugely

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I would put forward the argument that this attitude is very naive and a reason why we get so many meltdowns after a game if we have only one one nil even though we got three points

It's a self entitled unrealistic viewpoint in my opinion

When we were relegated we had serious serious issues, and putting together a brand new squad at the last minute and trying to succeed in this league was always going to be a massive task.

But some fans just disregard any obstacles, reasons, logic or understandable challenges and instead just say 'nahhh we should be automataically promoted because we're a massive club and our wage bill is highest'

It's naive

And a massive sense of unrealistic entitlement

I don't always agree with you that often Neil (eg curry sauce on fish and chips), but for me this is spot on.

We were in such a mess last season that I was genuinely worried for the club as a whole, for Moore to turn that around is a minor miracle imho.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

I don't always agree with you that often Neil (eg curry sauce on fish and chips), but for me this is spot on. 

If SWFC sold fish, chips and curry sauce in the ground we'd make that much money we could rival barcelona and Man United

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

21 minutes ago, GermanBird said:

Have you read about the EFL rule changes yet?

I'm sure that's what you have been waiting for

image.png.cf921d51b9a521fcb2533a9b2704bd26.png

Not read about those but they’d definitely help.

in general though, I’d expect the only squad with almost completely Championship standard players to win the division.

Especially when that manager is basically given the budget to get whichever free transfer or loan player he wants.

Furthermore, we would be in the automatic places if he’d signed more centre backs instead of wingers that now don’t fit into the style we’ve played all season.

How anybody can look at the actual facts and conclude any differently is a mystery to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4