These late goals then - how bad is it really?

Guest Willow Owl

So in first 15 games it happened 5 times, 1 in 3 games.

Since then 3 times in 28 games, 1 in 9. 
Tells me that we had a problem earlier in the season. Probably due to 14 new players, individual errors and no centre halves (injuries) for long  periods.

We no longer have that problem as the stats prove.

We have 17 clean sheets as well, only 1 team ( Wigan ) has lost less games.

As an example Oxford have 9 clean sheets and have lost 13 games.

Stats can be interpreted to suit an argument and every club can point to things that have gone against them.

End of the day we are 4th with 3 games to go, with a massive improvement as the season as gone on. 

Let’s be positive chaps !

I think it is a number of factors, when viewed over the 3 year period.

1. the biggest issue is mentality. We have had a fragility about us for some time now, which creates panic and players start making errors that lead to goals.

2. the above is due to the lack of true leaders at centre half. Loovens was a true leader and he would marshall the team through that final few minutes, both leading by example, demanding performance from the rest of the team and his mastery of the dark arts etc. Dean is a similar calibre player. Pearson, etc. Lees, Iorfa, Palmer, etc while good players, lack this leadership. Bannan doesn’t have it either, his frustration tends to be more of a problem than the solution. Bottom line, we need true leaders at the back in the last 10 minutes.

3. fitness and the age of our squad must be an issue, but I see it as minor compared to the above two. Our fitness has been strong over recent months, I don’t believe we are inferior to our opponents in this league.

4. recent managers and their preference to defend instead of attack. Oxford do so well because they’re principal is the best form of defence is attack. The Rotherham goal last season has hindered us, because we were doing the right thing, trying to win the game. The freaky goal they scored is the absolute exception imo. If we continue to attack to the end, yes we would concede, but the balance would tip well in our favour I believe.

Anyway, as the evidence shows, we have transformed over the last 30+ games. I believe this is behind us and if we do not go up automatically, we will score more late goals than we concede in the playoffs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Luke said:

I blame it on tactics 

Except carlos first season in the last 20 years every manager has been defence first and try and hold onto a lead ,rather than have confidence in going for another goal 

Taking gregory off tuesday night was a example of that 

Might be better to think first before bashing away on that Fisher price keyboard..

• Like 1

What does it prove though?  Why does it matter if we let in goals between 25-35 mins or 50-60 mins, why does everyone get upset when we let them in the last 10 mins?  The secret is to stop letting goals in across the whole 90 mins.  

Just more dramatic in the last 10 mins.   Or have I completely missed the point?