Darren Moore second only to Big Ron

Great man manager, seems like current players want to play, and play well for him. Also appears to attract players here. And some of those have struggled at other clubs seem to have found form again under him - eg. NML and Berahino. Just imagine the players he might be able to attract if we were a championship side again.

He does seem to have been a bit of a slow burner with a lot of tinkering until he got the right formula. This is the reason we aren't already in autos. But then again, some of the best managers were slow burners eg. SAF. My only gripe is sometimes he makes baffling team selections and tactics. This is becoming rarer now though.

47 minutes ago, Luke said:

Think it's a bit of a false stat 

You need to take on board what division they was managing in 

A manager is bound to do better in league 1 than a manager is going to do in the Championship or Premier league 

You can only compare Moore to our league one managers atm 

Don't totally disagree but I think you also have to compare the respective resources and working conditions too.

4 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

How many did we get when Sturrock got us up?

72, finished 5th.  80 would have been enough for automatic promotion (Hull in 2nd got 86 but 3rd place had 79), yet here we are on 79 with 3 games to go and not even assured of being in the play offs.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, alanharper said:

72, finished 5th.  80 would have been enough for automatic promotion (Hull in 2nd got 86 but 3rd place had 79), yet here we are on 79 with 3 games to go and not even assured of being in the play offs.

Surely we would've needed 87 for Automatic 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Think it's a bit of a false stat 

You need to take on board what division they was managing in 

A manager is bound to do better in league 1 than a manager is going to do in the Championship or Premier league 

You can only compare Moore to our league one managers atm 

I wonder how many of those managers in the higher leagues had money to spend rather than craft together a team on freebies and loans 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Minesapint said:

I wonder how many of those managers in the higher leagues had money to spend rather than craft together a team on freebies and loans 

OK put it this way 

Would moore have done the double over united and got us to 8th in the Championship like we did under laws with the players he had 

Not a chance in hell 

Edited by Luke
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Luke said:

OK put it this way 

Would moore have done the double over united and got us to 8th in the Championship like we did under laws with the players he had 

Not a chance in hell 

How the Hell do you reach that conclusion?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jim said:

I said very early in Moore’s reign that he reminded me a bit of Big Ron. Man management skills, recruitment, style of play, managed WBA etc. 

I think he’ll be a very good manager for us, the experts on here don’t but then again they rated Monk 😂😂😂😂😂

What do you mean by man management skills exactly? You referring to the regular rotation to keep players happy? 

17 minutes ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Gut instinct, wet finger in the air, reading tea leaves, examining sheep's  entrails or maybe just crystal ball?

All of the above!

11 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Can you compared different leagues.

thats like saying the Dave Jones side of 2011/12 was better than the team of 92/93 because they got more points. Yet in 93 we got to 2 cup finals, ended up in Europe and were the 7th best team in the country compared to Dave Jones team that ended up the 46th best team in the country  (2nd in Division 3)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

What do you mean by man management skills exactly? You referring to the regular rotation to keep players happy? 

No players frozen out. Players seem happy. That’s good man management is it not?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Minesapint said:

Not sure what it is that people don’t get about L1. We don’t need to spend any money, nobody spends money buying players in this division.

Our team of freebies and loans is by far and away the highest paid squad in the league.

• Like 1