Are we almost in the playoffs..

last nights result after throwing away 2 points at bolton was huge absolutely huge.  we need to beat crewe by at least 3 or 4 that will improve goal diff even more . do that then wycombe can just be a draw where we might have had to beat them if not.  this season has still lots more twists and slides to come . i think its important to try to finish 4th as playing home 2nd is an advantage . a wycombe or sunderland etc in a 2nd leg would be an extremely hard task . im still hoping for rotherham in the playoffs , mk dons are by far the best team in the league we have played so finishing 6th would involve another game there if they cant overhall rotherham which now isnt likely .  

so a 4th place is what we need to aim for its very doable .

8 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

Because both of the MK goals were well taken with no luck involved, one of ours was a miss catch by the keeper, and the other was an amazing lob that 9 out of 10 times you dont get on target or the keeper gets back in time, my point was this season we have showed at times that we have not been clinical infront of goal, and had we not been so clinical then it could have been a different game...  My point was that even though we beat them if we play them in the playoffs I still think it could easily go either way..

One their goals was scored by a mistake by one or two defenders and the other goal was given away by a silly foul.  Every single club in the league could be more clinical in front of goal. 

The point of the game is to be clinical, we were more clinical than they were.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

Because both of the MK goals were well taken with no luck involved, one of ours was a miss catch by the keeper, and the other was an amazing lob that 9 out of 10 times you dont get on target or the keeper gets back in time, my point was this season we have showed at times that we have not been clinical infront of goal, and had we not been so clinical then it could have been a different game...  My point was that even though we beat them if we play them in the playoffs I still think it could easily go either way..

What a bizarre way to look at it. 

You can put all goals down to luck if you spin it enough. MK’s first was our mistake and if Palmers shoulder wasn’t in the way it gets cleared off the line? If we don’t give the free kick away in the first place then Twine doesn’t have the opportunity to score the free kick? Or if BPF was stood an inch to the right he probs gets a hand on it?

‘If we hadn’t have been so clinical it would have been a different game…’

But we were clinical? 

We've beaten them twice now. We also beat Wigan twice. I think it’s okay to admit that we’re actually a good team and can cause threats to those around us..

• Like 2

I've not given up on automatic even though it is highly unlikely, definitely would have to win all 4 games. 

9 points will be enough to get in play offs, 7 points probably enough if one of wins was against Wycombe. 

• Like 1

Must win v Crewe (and should). Ensure we then get a draw at Wycombe and we’ll be more or less there with us just needing a win from the last 2 games.

I wouldn’t fancy Plymouth’s fixtures at all! I think Wycombe will be fine so last spot between Plymouth / Sunderland - big game that for both them tomorrow!

Not sure if I'm being greedy but I want us to get either 3rd or 4th (3rd probably beyond us) - playing the second playoff game at home would be a huge advantage for us with a sellout crowd / our home form! 

3 minutes ago, flash said:

Not sure if I'm being greedy but I want us to get either 3rd or 4th (3rd probably beyond us) - playing the second playoff game at home would be a huge advantage for us with a sellout crowd / our home form! 

Although history shows of our 3 play off appearances we got to the final twice when playing the first leg at home

Home in 2nd leg didn’t work out so well for us last time, although largely due to negative tactics in the away leg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

One their goals was scored by a mistake by one or two defenders and the other goal was given away by a silly foul.  Every single club in the league could be more clinical in front of goal. 

The point of the game is to be clinical, we were more clinical than they were.  

I get the feeling you are debating with a glass half empty kind of guy !

if we hadn't scored they would have beaten us ......who'd have thunk it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marro said:

Just got to take one game at a time.  

Just a pity we did not click into life earlier in the season and we could have been going for automatic promotion.

It is a bit of a lottery for any team in and around the playoff spots including us.  A dip in form,  injury to a key player or outrageous misfortune can turn you from a play off team to an also ran.  So hard to predict how it will pan out.  Just hope it all turns out reyt!

Cross your fingers, have a few stiff drinks and try and enjoy the ride! UTO

Spot on

• Like 1

11 hours ago, catdog1121 said:

Totally agree I am not sure there will be a favourite going into the playoffs...  Any of the four teams that end up in the playoffs could win it..  The game tonight I think actually could have gone either way, although I think we played great we have seen in the past our finishing has not been as clinical as it was in the first 30mins, if we had got only 1 or 2 of those goals I think MK could have easily come away with 1 or even 3 points, it is nice to see us win away from home though..  Darren Moore has done fantastic if he can keep us in the playoffs, anything else is a bonus given this year for me was a rebuild and stabilise year...  And especially when you consider our top striker has basically been out virtually the entire season, although there could still be a twist if we make it to the playoffs, it would be so sweet if he made the difference..

& if we hadn’t scored any of them goals we mightve lost 2 0 

• Like 1

Still think 80 will be enough (probably 80 and a good goal difference)  Teams around us playing each other . They can’t all win . I didn’t think we’d win yesterday so that was a relief tbh .

Win crewe Tuesday and hopefully results go our way Monday so we’re in a good place going into the weekend 

Just now, bladeshater said:

Every team in the league could look back at ifs and buts

Oh i get that.... we have had several games where we have done this during the season... but as this is within a week i think its relevant as we could potentially get 10/12 points in the next 4 and miss out by a point or two on the autos which you think we should have got last weel.

Against the top three clubs - Wigan, Rotherham and MK Dons, we’ve had 5 wins out of the 6 fixtures, so we are capable of getting results against the Division’s best sides.

We should now make the play offs IMHO, but this is Wednesday we’re talking about, so disappointment is always on the cards.

Nearly there now. Beat Crewe and get a draw at Wycombe, then one win from the last 2 will be good enough at the moment. Could turn out that a couple of draws in the last 2 will be good enough.

It's important though not to lose at Wycombe.

It's mad how many points it will take to make the play offs and somebody will probably miss out with 81/82 points.

Compared to the other divisions and the points range of the teams currently in the play off spots. League 1 is far more competitive at the top.

League 1  76-83 pts

League 2  67-70 pts

Champ.     65-70 pts