Are we almost in the playoffs..

5 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

So there are only a few games left, it looks like it will be a tough battle, but will it be...

The contenders...

Plymouth

Only 3 games remaining one less than both Wednesday and Sunderland..  Although they are 2 points in front.

There remaining games are:

vs Sunderland

vs Wigan

vs MK Dons.

All three of their games are going to be difficult affairs with a crucial game against Sunderland that could help decide the playoff outcome and then two against teams in the top 3 current positions.  With a faltering form it could go either way for them.

Sheff Wed

Our own position, we have one more game in hand over both plymouth and Wycombe..

Games remaining are:

vs Crewe

vs Wycombe

vs Fleetwood

vs Portsmouth

On current form there are surely points to be picked up and an important game against Wycombe, Both Crewe already relegated with nothing to lose and Fleetwood who are battling for survival are potential banana skins but also probably arguably the easiest remaining games of the playoff hopefuls.

Wycombe

Like Wednesday are on decent form however are matched on points with Wednesday and Sunderland but have played an extra game.

Their games remaining are:

vs Wimbledon

vs Sheff Wed

vs Burton

Like Wednesday they have two very winnable games so will be looking at the Sheff Wed match as a cup final and a must win while avoiding and banana skins, the game being at home should give them the advantage and if they beat Sheff Wed will be a hot contender.

Sunderland

Only currently sitting out of the playoffs on goal difference they are on a hot streak of form and with a game in hand over both Wycombe and Plymouth will be hoping they can keep their form going..

Their games remaining are:

vs Plymouth

vs Cambridge

vs Rotherham

vs Morecombe

Given their run in of games they will see the Plymouth game as a must win match that could really decide the outcome of the playoff race, a tough tie against Rotherham although with home advantage could still see them collect all the points with Rotherhams form having dipped.

When you look at the contenders, I actually think Plymouth have arguably the most difficult job despite currently leading the pack of four, a loss against Sunderland could see them swallowed up and spat out, with their remaining two games both difficult affairs.   For us it will be crucial those tired legs after tonight's great win do not come through when we play Crewe is a must and then a 6 pointer against Wycombe gives us one chance to potentially secure our playoff place, if not it will be a case of dusting ourselves off and getting results in the final two games...  But for me the Crewe game at home is just a must win to help us ease into the playoffs, if we lose then the Wycombe game becomes extremely important, I think though we have the most chances and the best run in of all the teams...  If the players keep playing like they did tonight we should be ok, but then it is Wednesday so anything can happen..

Many were saying Plymouth were certainties a few weeks ago ignoring their awful run in now they could easily fall out of top 6 in few days time.

We need to beat Crewe and then a draw at Wycombe and should get in 4th or 5th 

• Like 2

Rotherham have got a tricky few games, too, (Burton (A), Oxford (H), Sunderland (A) and away at Gillingham on the last day) and surely can't be ruled out of dropping into the play-off places.

Based on their performance today, they would struggle against the legendary Park Hotel Tap Room side of 1976.

Although MK Dons (did they lose tonight?) have played a game more than Rotherham, I'd expect them to take the second automatic place. Besides, I reckon we'd have a better time against Rotherham in the play-off than MK Dons.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Rotherham have got a tricky few games, too, (Burton (A), Oxford (H), Sunderland (A) and away at Gillingham on the last day) and surely can't be ruled out of dropping into the play-off places.

Based on their performance today, they would struggle against the legendary Park Hotel Tap Room side of 1976.

Although MK Dons (did they lose tonight?) have played a game more than Rotherham, I'd expect them to take the second automatic place. Besides, I reckon we'd have a better time against Rotherham in the play-off than MK Dons.

I did consider them but when you then consider they are 7 points ahead of Wycombe that can only get 9 more points and they also have the game in hand, I really don't think its realistic them dropping out of the playoffs, especially when there are quite a few head to head games of teams in and around the playoffs, mathematically it might be possible maybe (Not done all the math) but realistically they would have to lose all their remaining games, Wycombe would have to win all of theirs and then other results would also have to play out perfectly for them to drop out...   Just not likely at all..

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

Just shows how competitive the league has been this season. If we finish top 6 then I wouldn’t feel mega confident against any of those sides… but on the flip side, I bet none of them will want to play us either!

Totally agree I am not sure there will be a favourite going into the playoffs...  Any of the four teams that end up in the playoffs could win it..  The game tonight I think actually could have gone either way, although I think we played great we have seen in the past our finishing has not been as clinical as it was in the first 30mins, if we had got only 1 or 2 of those goals I think MK could have easily come away with 1 or even 3 points, it is nice to see us win away from home though..  Darren Moore has done fantastic if he can keep us in the playoffs, anything else is a bonus given this year for me was a rebuild and stabilise year...  And especially when you consider our top striker has basically been out virtually the entire season, although there could still be a twist if we make it to the playoffs, it would be so sweet if he made the difference..

• Like 1

Just now, catdog1121 said:

Totally agree I am not sure there will be a favourite going into the playoffs...  Any of the four teams that end up in the playoffs could win it..  The game tonight I think actually could have gone either way, although I think we played great we have seen in the past our finishing has not been as clinical as it was in the first 30mins, if we had got only 1 or 2 of those goals I think MK could have easily come away with 1 or even 3 points, it is nice to see us win away from home though..  Darren Moore has done fantastic if he can keep us in the playoffs, anything else is a bonus given this year for me was a rebuild and stabilise year...  And especially when you consider our top striker has basically been out virtually the entire season, although there could still be a twist if we make it to the playoffs, it would be so sweet if he made the difference..

I think your discounting the name "Sheffield Wednesday"...

If we get into the playoffs, everyone will expect us to be favourites, especially after we smashed MKII Don's tonight after they had a fifteen (15) game winning streak.

We just have to deliver the same football in the first half hour in each of the three games in the playoffs, and we've got a reasonable chance. (And the remaining League games to qualify for said playoffs)

My thoughts this week were that we needed to win tonight to make it, and therefore thought we were up against it. My fear was going to Wycombe having to win, Ainsworth is very good at turning games like that into dour 0-0s, apparently both games against Rotherham this season were absolute shockers. Hopefully, we can go into that game now with a draw being good enough for us. 

Ideal scenario for me is a 4th place finish, Plymouth in the semis and Wycombe in the final. I just can't face the idea of playing Sunderland in the final, that would be ridiculous at this level, you could probably sell 100k tickets if Wembley had the capacity. 

Until automatic is mathematically impossible I'm gonna keep one eye on it. Pressure does funny things to teams, look how mk and Wigan have gone on today for a start. If, and it's a huge if, but if we win our remaining games then for me it's automatics. Having watched what I watched tonight I'll believe anything is possible and I'm buzzing still. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, latemodelchild said:

Until automatic is mathematically impossible I'm gonna keep one eye on it. Pressure does funny things to teams, look how mk and Wigan have gone on today for a start. If, and it's a huge if, but if we win our remaining games then for me it's automatics. Having watched what I watched tonight I'll believe anything is possible and I'm buzzing still. 

Basically would need Rotherham to not beat Burton, and then lose to Sunderland and Oxford. Possible on their form. And we’d need to win them all. Plus MK Dons 4 points from 3 games. The goal difference could have made a difference tonight too for that but the late goal conceded might cost us.

Just taking it game by game and see if it opens up.

41 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Just shows how competitive the league has been this season. If we finish top 6 then I wouldn’t feel mega confident against any of those sides… but on the flip side, I bet none of them will want to play us either!

Why not? We’ve beaten all of them except Wycombe. MK Dons are third and looked bang average. Don’t fear any of them.