Jump to content

Would you be happy with a stadium like MK Dons style?


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Wasn’t it said before that this would be ridiculously expensive if we also wanted to take out the Kop pillars (like the World Cup plans). 
 

Im sure it was said before that it would be cheaper to move than to redevelop the Kop to bring it up to modern day standards.

 

Could do it in a weekend a few barrows n spades a team of lads, no sweat.

 

I'm talking about levelling the Kop and starting again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Wasn’t it said before that this would be ridiculously expensive if we also wanted to take out the Kop pillars (like the World Cup plans). 
 

Im sure it was said before that it would be cheaper to move than to redevelop the Kop to bring it up to modern day standards.

 

The Kop bank was built up by supporters fetching material from home many years ago.

 

If we all take a bucketload home after every match, it'll soon whittle down.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Their stadiums are also not associated with fatalities. 
 

But yes. We have no room. The Kop is built on an angled grassy hill. There’s just about enough room either side of it for two small car parks and a ‘’megastore’’. Other than that there’s no space to work with.

 

If we were to suddenly become Uber successful then I’d maybe look at some redevelopment plans. Without that, I think it would be cheaper to just build elsewhere.

Yup 💯 % in agreement 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Django said:

The stadium looks ok from the terraces. 
 

However the facilities are abysmal, I’m not just talking about for the fans either, the dressing rooms are tiny, the away one especially so, the officials one still has a portable tv from the 90’s on a bracket screwed to the wall. The tunnel is that narrow both sides can’t enter the pitch at the same time 

 

A couple of years back I was told that both chesterfield and Rotherham generate more money from their stadiums on non match day than we do

 

Time to move 

 

 

 

But why can't we do this while redeveloping Hillsborough?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hallam_stallion said:

But they both have ample land around the stadium to make it work.

 

We have zero land around the stadium and even less parking.

 

Longer term moving is the only option if we ever want to seriously move forward on and off the pitch.

 

Liverpool have been buying up terrace houses around there stadium for years so they could extend.

Very similar set up to Hillsborough really for room around the ground.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Refurb, start at the west stand. Plenty of room behind there for expansion. As it is the ground holds just shy of 40K, so really no need to go further than that.

 

Step 1 - You could clear and then rebuild the entire West end of the ground with modern concourses etc. and a capacity of 10 to 12K.

 

Step 2 - You then do the Kop end. Rebuild as a modern two tier stand again 10 to 12K capacity.

 

Step 3 - North stand either needs a major refurb or dare I say (given it is son iconic) a total refurb

 

Final Step - South stand refurb.

 

You could have a modern stadium with 40 to 45K capacity easy.

 

Only other alternative is a new ground probably somewhere near old Sheffield Airport.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Do we want a stadium which isn’t as good as the one we have. Tough question.

Define good?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

Liverpool have made a fantastic job of rebuilding Anfield, which is very similar in its location to Hillsborough. Massive park nearby, loads of old houses surrounding it. Main road running directly behind the Kop. No river though! 
 

Man Utd have decided to do the same with Old Trafford, rather than build an IKEA stadium. 

 

There's no road behind the Anfield Road end now. They're  redeveloping that stand and extending it over the road. That area is still a poo hole though.

 

Man Utd have wanted to redevelop the main east stand.for a while but can't  because of the railway line behind it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Waddle93 said:

 

Liverpool have been buying up terrace houses around there stadium for years so they could extend.

Very similar set up to Hillsborough really for room around the ground.

 

Keeping hearing rumours no doubt pushed by Man United fans that the owners have been "persuaded" to leave by the fans.  Probably a load of rubbish, loveable scousers wouldn't do anything so bad as that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Define good?

1.

to be desired or approved of.

"it's good that he's back to his old self"

2.

having the required qualities; of a high standard.

"a good restaurant"

 

You could have googled that yourself, although i'm surprised you don't know what it means.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well for a football Stadium I would define good as follows:

 

1. Good transport links, road, rail, tram busses etc.

2. Adequate parking

3. Adequate facilities on stadium concourses

4. Decent size seats and legroom

5. Uninterrupted views of the pitch no matter where you are sat

6. Plenty to do in vicinity of ground before and after game

7. Alternative uses for stadium and facilities when not in use for football 

  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Waddle93 said:

 

Liverpool have been buying up terrace houses around there stadium for years so they could extend.

Very similar set up to Hillsborough really for room around the ground.

Yep. If anything, Anfield was more hemmed in by houses than Hillsborough. I think they bought entire streets to enable the Anfield Road and Kemlyn Road rebuilds. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/04/2022 at 21:15, Gregory fee said:

I think the facilities are amazing at mk dons but Nothing compares to a old school stadium with bags of character I hate how most of these soup bowl stadiums are built in industrial estates out of town have no character I love hillsborough I think the old school grounds are so much better 

To be fair the thread is about the design.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

Well for a football Stadium I would define good as follows:

 

1. Good transport links, road, rail, tram busses etc.

2. Adequate parking

3. Adequate facilities on stadium concourses

4. Decent size seats and legroom

5. Uninterrupted views of the pitch no matter where you are sat

6. Plenty to do in vicinity of ground before and after game

7. Alternative uses for stadium and facilities when not in use for football 

You are correct.


Pretty much rules Hillsborough out on every point. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SDS Owl said:

You are correct.


Pretty much rules Hillsborough out on every point. 

1. Only think missing is rail link and if  Stocksbridge line gets reopened for passengers that's solved.

 

2. Parking around Hillsborough isn't too bad courtesy of Owlerton stadium.

 

3. Look a couple of posts above where I said about redevelopment of Hillsborough which would deal with internal facilities 

 

4. As per 3 above

 

5. As per 3 above

 

6. Plenty to so around Hillsborough but we really missed a trick by not buying Wednesdayite car park which could have been developed for car parking, fan zone, restaurants cinema etc.

 

7. As per 6 above

 

Genuine question, you seem to think there is no potential for bringing Hillsborough properly up to date.

 

Why? What is your reasoning?

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I were rich enough and indeed foolish enough to buy Wednesday I’d definitely keep the existing ground. Yes the Lep needs flooring and something new building and ideally the Kop needs a roof that doesn’t have pillars but both the south and north stands are a good size and some updated facilities on them and the Kop would make them good enough for people to visit for a couple of hours every fortnight. I’d be spending money on my training facilities/ academy and players.

 

The MKD stadium is nice enough but not for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

1. Only think missing is rail link and if  Stocksbridge line gets reopened for passengers that's solved.

 

2. Parking around Hillsborough isn't too bad courtesy of Owlerton stadium.

 

3. Look a couple of posts above where I said about redevelopment of Hillsborough which would deal with internal facilities 

 

4. As per 3 above

 

5. As per 3 above

 

6. Plenty to so around Hillsborough but we really missed a trick by not buying Wednesdayite car park which could have been developed for car parking, fan zone, restaurants cinema etc.

 

7. As per 6 above

 

Genuine question, you seem to think there is no potential for bringing Hillsborough properly up to date.

 

Why? What is your reasoning?

To be fair your post about redevelopment contains no context.
 

Redevelop the West Stand to a 10k/12k capacity, how? You talk about a 40k/45k capacity so a quarter of the crowd in the West stand? 
 

Rebuild the Kop…..Design? Space? Surely no one believes we could block one of the main roads into the city are they? 

 

Redevelop the North when it literally backs on the peoples homes. So how does that work? 
 

Again, just redevelop the South without any context?

 

Parking is horrific. When did you last try and park at Hillsborough? As for public transport, have you tried the catch the one tram every 20 minutes after a decently attended game recently? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

 

Could do it in a weekend a few barrows n spades a team of lads, no sweat.

 

I'm talking about levelling the Kop and starting again

That’s the only way to do the kop but have it in 2 tiers. West would have to be done from scratch too, North needs a dedicated pointing area and we need heated seats in the South.

cost? Dunno and no idea if cheaper than moving away

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...