Other clubs forums

I wonder how long it’ll take for people to let go of the way MK Dons we’re formed. I mean, most people don’t think of Utd were formed by Wednesday’s chairman in order to keep a stadium (that we’d moved out of) going.

I suspect it’s a generational thing. People like me (in their 50s) still remember how Wimbledon were shafted. Those feelings in me are being moderated by personal experience of Milton Keynes as a place and thinking I don’t see why they shouldn’t have their own football club. It’s just a shame how they usurped another club on their way to getting one.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Wimbledon was going bust 

if they was still in London they wouldn’t exist now. I understand moving a ground to MK was too far but they could get a ground anywhere and it wasn’t for trying 

They had a fairy tale rise to the top what was it in the 70s/ 80s but was mainly non league 

they couldn’t get a sustainable ground to survive so they moved or went bust 

Imagine someone like Sheffield FC or Hallam going crazy  and flying up to today’s premier league 

they would need a stadium now imagine they can only get a ground outside the city 

that would upset so many of their fans but they have to move or go bust what do you do?

MK as a new town with huge growth rates was a viable and sensible option for growth and survival and they can start growing now as a new generation comes through 

it might not have been morally accepted by some or the fans but they would have a club if they didn’t move so at least they had an option 

is it any less moral than being bought out by oversea billionaires using our traditional teams sport as a toy 

I don’t think so 

http://truthaboutfranchisefc.blogspot.com/2013/11/wimbledon-fc-finances-liquidation-lies.html?m=1

11 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

hello pal, this isn’t a dig, genuine question. Why do you think your better players are better than our better players? If that was the case wouldn’t you be higher than us in the table? I think you’re right about experience, we also have one of the youngest teams in the league and I wouldn’t put it past us “bottling it” 

I also think we’re better away than we are at home, but we are 15 unbeaten and have every right to feel confident! Though saying that, I think the occasion might get to us and we’ll lose 2-1. I don’t think we are the sort of team to score lots of goals. 

safe journey down, hopefully it’ll be a great game! 

@BetterCallSaulIf you need anymore enlightenment, you know where I am pal.

Ridiculous really when we go on about morals in football. When it comes to dodgy owners, dealings and players the simple truth is that 99% of us conveniently park our morals as far as our own clubs are concerned. 

In that respect we are all hypocrites.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I did use to have more sympathy for AFC Wimbledon fans, but when the club utterly shafted Kingstonian and basically evicted them miles from home without seeing the hypocrisy, I decided I was fine with MK having the team. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Ridiculous really when we go on about morals in football. When it comes to dodgy owners, dealings and players the simple truth is that 99% of us conveniently park our morals as far as our own clubs are concerned. 

In that respect we are all hypocrites.

Absolutely!

This is nearly 10 years old but sums it up perfectly (as long as you're winning!!)

https://thesunshineroom.com/2013/05/30/bullshit-rodeo/

On 16/04/2022 at 00:56, Quickly Kevin said:

Yeah dont think Salford are a comparison to chuck in. Although AFC did it right for me in regards to forming a club and starting non league. MK will be a franchise to me and Ill always dislike em. 

But if you supported MK since you are 7 not much you can do! And its better than supporting a PL club.

More hostility to the big bucks Prem clubs and their attempts to close the door, than a club like MK Dons who had to grow from the basement.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not sure what that’s meant to mean 

the article is saying that Wimbledon ran at a loss of over 300,000k in their last 6 years 

it also shows these increasing where it’s last two years the loss was 7.6million which was the 99/00 season 

imagine what that revenue would look like in today’s football finance world 

that only proves to me the desperate need they had for a stadium of their own 

we’ve seen over the years the power of what a modern functional stadium does to clubs finances 

it’s why clubs up and down the country have been and still are building new ones 

no way would Wimbledon be trading today if they didn’t move with their situation 

27 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Not sure what that’s meant to mean 

the article is saying that Wimbledon ran at a loss of over 300,000k in their last 6 years 

it also shows these increasing where it’s last two years the loss was 7.6million which was the 99/00 season 

imagine what that revenue would look like in today’s football finance world 

that only proves to me the desperate need they had for a stadium of their own 

we’ve seen over the years the power of what a modern functional stadium does to clubs finances 

it’s why clubs up and down the country have been and still are building new ones 

no way would Wimbledon be trading today if they didn’t move with their situation 

It's saying that Wimbledon's losses weren't especially bad until the Norwegian owners took full control, and, tempted by the approaches from Winkelman, (willfully?) allowed the club to become a basket case.

As the article says: "The figures prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if the owners had sold players, cancelled contracts and budgeted sensibly for life outside the top division, then the club could have continued to operate. The owners chose not to do that, but instead devoted all their efforts to trying to secure the MK move.

"The only thing the club needed saving from was two owners hell bent on moving it to Milton Keynes, when it could have gone back to being financially viable in London.

"...be under no illusions, without Winkelman and the MK consortium there could and should still be a Wimbledon FC playing in London."

For me and many other football fans, the very notion of uprooting a football club and moving it to a different part of the country is anathema, and something which should never have been allowed to happen.

Plenty of lower league clubs have survived in London during the time period we're talking about, and I have no doubt that Wimbledon could have found a way, too.

Heck, surely the very fact that we played AFC Wimbledon just a few weeks ago is testament to that?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Plenty of lower league clubs have survived in London during the time period we're talking about, and I have no doubt that Wimbledon could have found a way, too.

Heck, surely the very fact that we played AFC Wimbledon just a few weeks ago is testament to that?

Have you seen the Corinthian FC documentary - amazing and very heartwarming.

• Thanks 1

Guest Andy W
On 16/04/2022 at 00:55, SDS Owl said:

Live and breathe the club? Really?

I’ve seen Wednesday over 1,000 times but it’s literally just something to do at weekends. Family, friends and relationships are far, far more important than a game of football. 

Well said my friend....in the general run of things has 0 importance.

I think Desmond Lynam called sport Glorious Trivia..perfect description.

Family and health a trillion times more important