Other clubs forums

8 minutes ago, thekimmyowl said:

It’s a bit weird how this thread has gone, an MK fan has come on and it’s turned into a moral compass issue which he is having to defend, the person was 7 years old when he chose his club, who are we to criticise, he loves his club just as we do.

keep doing what you do Saul, following your team obviously is a massive thing to you and your family, I wish you well after the 90 plus minutes today 

thank you mate, I appreciate that 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

39 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I get that.

It's those who were old enough at the time to realise what that club represents who you'd hope would have boycotted it.

For the younger generations, it's something they need to make a decision about once they're old enough to read up on it and understand.

I get that it's difficult to break ties with 'your' club, though, no matter how abhorrent their history may be.

Gi'ore.

If you grow up supporting your team you stick with it.

They should never have formed but they did and thats the FA's fault.

Edited by Quickly Kevin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Birstall Owl said:

@BetterCallSaulDo you think because of the catchment area that when the club moved they thought the crowds would be bigger? Problem I see is if you live in MK and support Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham, Chelsea, Man Utd , Liverpool etc you still are going to support these big clubs as that's the reason you support them in the first place a bit of glory.

I'm also from MK, although born in Yorkshire and a Sheffield family. MK was populated by people from London, and the North, so they already had teams, which they've passed on to the children, and now, their grandchildren. I know some adults that go to MK games but none that for whom they are their first team. That will change with the younger generation but its hard to imagine it ever being a real community club. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Gi'ore.

If you grow up supporting your team you stick with it.

They should never have formed but they did and thats the FA's fault.

Maybe so.

It's easy for me to look on from afar and say this, I get that.

I'm just not sure I could support that club once I understood how it came about, though. 

No matter how unfair that might seem to the Franchise FC fans, it's nothing compared to how unfair it felt to the Wimbledon fan I knew back in 2003, whose club had suddenly disappeared to another town, taking its history, its league status, and its name with it.

38 minutes ago, Old Woodbourn Owl said:

Talking of morals in football I overheard a Newcastle fan who was being berated for their owners human rights history joking it off by saying "I wouldn't mind them having public executions in Eldon Square as long as my team is doing well".

It would be a real moral conundrum if something similar happened at Wednesday, wouldn't it?

As much as we all love the club, could we honestly continue to actively support the club if we knew it were being funded by such a regime?

I really hope we never have to find out.

36 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

It would be a real moral conundrum if something similar happened at Wednesday, wouldn't it?

As much as we all love the club, could we honestly continue to actively support the club if we knew it were being funded by such a regime?

I really hope we never have to find out.

Absolutely. Imagine if we were owned by the state of Russia or someone integrally tied up to it.

Oh wait, that’s Chelsea.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

Absolutely. Imagine if we were owned by the state of Russia or someone integrally tied up to it.

Oh wait, that’s Chelsea.

Exactly.

They've known for years that their club was being funded by corruption.

Plenty have turned a blind eye to it, but I'm sure some haven't.

I'd like to think I'd have enough about me to draw a line in the sand if a Russian oligarch rocked up at Hillsborough, but you never know until it happens to your club, do you?

Been close to home family of Bin Laden, theres been drunk driver killers and rapist and only fans kicking off put a spanner in the works for these clubs employing them. American sport has had its share of murderers, but I digress what were we talking about. Cant go today as house full of positve covid folk some not so well, I bet the only time some of the posters on here have been positive is with covid. Will have a look on the MK forum tonight to see how upset us thrashing them has made them.UTO 

7 hours ago, Asio otus said:

Yea and deservedly so. Still at least we have a long history.

,........and given time so will MK. By then no one will care how they were formed.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I get that.

It's those who were old enough at the time to realise what that club represents who you'd hope would have boycotted it.

For the younger generations, it's something they need to make a decision about once they're old enough to read up on it and understand.

I get that it's difficult to break ties with 'your' club, though, no matter how abhorrent their history may be.

If you're bringing the moral argument into it, under Clueless we have cheated the system for years to the extent that we have been embargoed umpteen times and relegated through points deductions. 

So should we all take a moral stand and boycott the club?

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Guest Musttryharder
7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That's a weird hope

lol

Its a weird forum but I take your point.

Just now, Utah Owl said:

If you're bringing the moral argument into it, under Clueless we have cheated the system for years to the extent that we have been embargoed umpteen times and relegated through points deductions. 

So should we all take a moral stand and boycott the club?

I don't see overspending against P&S rules as being in the same bracket as uprooting a club from its traditional fanbase, plonking it 60 miles away, and allowing the 'new' club to retain the old one's league status.

It's all subjective, though.

Some fans have boycotted the club thanks to Chansiri's actions. 

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't see overspending against P&S rules as being in the same bracket as uprooting a club from its traditional fanbase, plonking it 60 miles away, and allowing the 'new' club to retain the old one's league status.

It's all subjective, though.

Some fans have boycotted the club thanks to Chansiri's actions. 

They cheated to get into the league.

We cheated to try and get into a higher league.

There is no difference,  we both cheated except MK didn't actually break any rules.

Just now, Utah Owl said:

They cheated to get into the league.

We cheated to try and get into a higher league.

There is no difference,  we both cheated except MK didn't actually break any rules.

Fair enough, if that's how you see it. I don't, but that's life.

Can't really be arsed to debate this right now - would rather celebrate a great win.

No point attacking BetterCallSaul, who seems a nice sort and a smart, level headed poster.

Doesn't mean you have to accept MK Dons either though - a club that simply shouldn’t exist and is a blight on the football league whilever they are in it. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

No point attacking BetterCallSaul, who seems a nice sort and a smart, level headed poster.

Doesn't mean you have to accept MK Dons either though - a club that simply shouldn’t exist and is a blight on the football league whilever they are in it. 

This.

7 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Maybe so.

It's easy for me to look on from afar and say this, I get that.

I'm just not sure I could support that club once I understood how it came about, though. 

No matter how unfair that might seem to the Franchise FC fans, it's nothing compared to how unfair it felt to the Wimbledon fan I knew back in 2003, whose club had suddenly disappeared to another town, taking its history, its league status, and its name with it.

Wimbledon was going bust 

if they was still in London they wouldn’t exist now. I understand moving a ground to MK was too far but they could get a ground anywhere and it wasn’t for trying 

They had a fairy tale rise to the top what was it in the 70s/ 80s but was mainly non league 

they couldn’t get a sustainable ground to survive so they moved or went bust 

Imagine someone like Sheffield FC or Hallam going crazy  and flying up to today’s premier league 

they would need a stadium now imagine they can only get a ground outside the city 

that would upset so many of their fans but they have to move or go bust what do you do?

MK as a new town with huge growth rates was a viable and sensible option for growth and survival and they can start growing now as a new generation comes through 

it might not have been morally accepted by some or the fans but they would have a club if they didn’t move so at least they had an option 

is it any less moral than being bought out by oversea billionaires using our traditional teams sport as a toy 

I don’t think so