Other clubs forums

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The highest estimates I've seen for Wimbledon fans who follow Franchise FC are in the low hundreds. The vast majority of their supporters felt disenfranchised and that their club no longer existed. In fact, worse than that, their club, their history, their league standing, and part of their name had been stolen from them and moved 60 miles up the road.

It may not seem 'that deep really' to you, but it did to many, many football fans in this country.

What happened was out of fans' hands, but supporting and funding Franchise FC isn't. That's on them.

But it’s not the fans fault? 

I sympathise with those Wimbledon fans. But I don’t blame the now MK fans who decided to go watch their new local team. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

But it’s not the fans fault? 

I sympathise with those Wimbledon fans. But I don’t blame the now MK fans who decided to go watch their new local team. 

Fine.

I do.

🤷‍♂️

They knew what had happened and decided to lend their support to the project.

Second generation supporters who've known nothing else, I appreciate it's a harder decision to make.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Fine.

I do.

🤷‍♂️

They knew what had happened and decided to lend their support to the project.

Second generation supporters who've known nothing else, I appreciate it's a harder decision to make.

Football and morals don’t go hand in hand. 

Football fans just want to watch football. 

That’s how I see it anyway. 

• Like 3

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Football and morals don’t go hand in hand. 

Football fans just want to watch football. 

That’s how I see it anyway. 

Again; fine.

I'm just one of those people who do think there's a place for morals in all walks of life.

I doubt we're going to agree on this.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Again; fine.

I'm just one of those people who do think there's a place for morals in all walks of life.

And that’s fine mate! I see where you’re coming from.

As a wider discussion, I just struggle to take a moral stand when it comes to football. The game is morally bankrupt yet we all follow and support it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

And that’s fine mate! I see where you’re coming from.

As a wider discussion, I just struggle to take a moral stand when it comes to football. The game is morally bankrupt yet we all follow and support it. 

As with anything, I guess we all have to draw our own boundaries as to what we judge acceptable or otherwise. 

There may may be aspects of the game which are a line in the sand to some, yet others see as no issue.

It's all subjective.

I always enjoy a bit of a lurk on the Sunderland board, every time a goal goes against them it's just six pages of the worst bile and viciousness, swirled in with absolute bleak depression, you've ever read in your life. Then the second they score one back they're still on for autos and coming to smash the Champ, it's absolutely bananas.

A lot like us in fairness, but triple the hysteria in all directions.

lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Again; fine.

I think MK are an abomination but it is a local team for some people.

Better support your local team than gloryhunting a PL team.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I live close to MK, but MK dons have never interested my kids. In this area most are either interested in the north London Prem teams, or Wycombe. Other than Wednesday games I have only being to stadium MK once, and that was to kill an afternoon while my other half was shopping. 

Mk is big enough to sustain a team, but you have to remember this is a new town, purpose build as a London over flow. Many of the families here have their football allegiances with London teams, from the areas where their families grew up and lived. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

I think MK are an abomination but it is a local team for some people.

Better support your local team than gloryhunting a PL team.

They already had MK City, but that club's chairman referred to 'the confused situation' surrounding Wimbledon's move to Milton Keynes as one of the reasons for their closure in the same year - so arguably, the relocation of Wimbledon actually helped to kill off their existing local team.

I don't know - maybe the residents of Milton Keynes were only interested in having a ready-made league club parachuted in from elsewhere, rather than growing their own organically?

But then that makes you wonder just how many potential supporters the likes of Luton, Northampton Town and Rushden & Diamonds missed out on as a result of the move, doesn't it?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Not many, going by their attendances 

lol 

I dunno - they pull in around 8-9k in an average season - that's a fair number of football fans who might have been tempted to go and support other local teams had League One Wimbledon not been parachuted into Milton Keynes.

12 hours ago, xploreowl said:

I always like to look at other clubs forums in the run up to fixtures against us, it makes me realise how lucky we are to have a brilliant forum that’s really active.

We deserve to beat MK Franchise tomorrow just based on the shear lack of passion on there Concrete Roundabout forum!!
Its possibly one of the biggest fixtures in the clubs history and there’s no thread for tomorrows game, just a short prediction thread, just bland.

Makes me think that there support doesn’t live and breath the club like thousands of Owls do, and that they see it as just summat to do at the weekend . 

This is often the case with a lot of clubs at this level to be fair.

Barely any chatter about the threat we pose.

This often the case with a lot of clubs at this level to be fair.

Thankful that I’m a Wednesday fan even if they go up and we don’t . 

That’s because they aren’t a proper football club. They stole a team from south London and all neutral fans hate it was allowed to happen. 

They will never shake that label and because of that they will never be well supported. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I dunno - they pull in around 8-9k in an average season - that's a fair number of football fans who might have been tempted to go and support other local teams had League One Wimbledon not been parachuted into Milton Keynes.

8-9k is tinpot numbers for a tinpot plastic club. We’d have taken close to that down there yesterday if sky hadn’t messed about moving it to tonight 

On a similarish note, in terms of existing allegiances etc, Sheffield football club are in the process of building a new 4k seat stadium at the top of my road.

I really hope it's a success, but currently they only get around 400 fans at games, and I don't really see where the additional supporters are going to come from. I'd understand it a bit more if they were moving across the city and trying to attract people from a new area, but it's more or less the same road they play on now, just the other side of Bowshaw roundabout. 

Will be very difficult for them to build a new generation of fans in this city, they're not like a Salford type project moving up through the divisions. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

They already had MK City, but that club's chairman referred to 'the confused situation' surrounding Wimbledon's move to Milton Keynes as one of the reasons for their closure in the same year - so arguably, the relocation of Wimbledon actually helped to kill off their existing local team.

I don't know - maybe the residents of Milton Keynes were only interested in having a ready-made league club parachuted in from elsewhere, rather than growing their own organically?

But then that makes you wonder just how many potential supporters the likes of Luton, Northampton Town and Rushden & Diamonds missed out on as a result of the move, doesn't it?

But the appeal of a non league club isnt there for many which is fair enough.

If you take someone like @BetterCallSaul he is hardly going to understand the politics when aged 7.

when we were kids we just watched football and younger MK fans are the same.

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

On a similarish note, in terms of existing allegiances etc, Sheffield football club are in the process of building a new 4k seat stadium at the top of my road.

I really hope it's a success, but currently they only get around 400 fans at games, and I don't really see where the additional supporters are going to come from. I'd understand it a bit more if they were moving across the city and trying to attract people from a new area, but it's more or less the same road they play on now, just the other side of Bowshaw roundabout. 

Will be very difficult for them to build a new generation of fans in this city, they're not like a Salford type project moving up through the divisions. 

Every chance they’ll be getting relegated this season and playing Hallam next year - who are consistently getting far bigger crowds. Both have the potential to be decent non-league clubs with their history etc but building a 4000 seat stadium in the 9th tier is just batshít

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

But the appeal of a non league club isnt there for many which is fair enough.

If you take someone like @BetterCallSaul he is hardly going to understand the politics when aged 7.

when we were kids we just watched football and younger MK fans are the same.

I get that.

It's those who were old enough at the time to realise what that club represents who you'd hope would have boycotted it.

For the younger generations, it's something they need to make a decision about once they're old enough to read up on it and understand.

I get that it's difficult to break ties with 'your' club, though, no matter how abhorrent their history may be.

• Haha 1

It’s a bit weird how this thread has gone, an MK fan has come on and it’s turned into a moral compass issue which he is having to defend, the person was 7 years old when he chose his club, who are we to criticise, he loves his club just as we do.

keep doing what you do Saul, following your team obviously is a massive thing to you and your family, I wish you well after the 90 plus minutes today 

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1