A tour of Sheffield City Centre showing all the changes so far

Don't know who the camera man was, but ask him to wear some trainers next time.

I found the constant clip-clop of his footsteps really annoying.

But at my age you've got to have something to moan about haven't yer.lol

Apart from that I really enjoyed the walk, thanks.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Some of the changes in Sheffield centre are incredible. I'm amazed that the council has managed to arrange for every building to now have its own dedicated vagrant.

Parts of the place resemble downtown Mogadishu. Its an embarrassment frankly.

I think that you'll find that the vagrants were arranged by this government, in a little project called Austerity.  If you have any doubts, let me refer you to the height of the pandemic, when they managed to remove all vagrants from the streets.  And then quietly sent them all back when they thought no-one was looking...

• Like 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

I think that you'll find that the vagrants were arranged by this government, in a little project called Austerity.  If you have any doubts, let me refer you to the height of the pandemic, when they managed to remove all vagrants from the streets.  And then quietly sent them all back when they thought no-one was looking...

I think that u and me will have to disagree on that. Sheffield is currently miles behind the likes of Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool & Birmingham and they have all had to deal with so many years of a certain government. Look closer to home at the party that has run this city for decades as a major reason for its many failures.

• Like 1

I enjoyed that - well done Neil.  It's amazing how you take things for granted.  I have lived in Sheffield all my life and never really took notice of some of the lovely architecture.  

Anyway, thanks and well done.  

• Love 1

11 hours ago, swfc4_sufc0 said:

Project drugs pal, nothing more, nothing less. Last time I visited the centre after ten years I was appalled by the state of it and the druggies ruining it for everyone. Place is getting like Seattle and San Fran. 

Just one alteration to this tour, right at the start:

West Street is actually knownn for the enormous dole office (if you are now no longer wearing nappies). As 10cc sang: "Do the West Street shuffle". What a great band and what a great time. The 70s disco generation were the luckiest generation ever and Sheffield had the best club scene this side of New York. Unfortunately, God evened up the score by making us Wednesdayites  😆

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Project drugs pal, nothing more, nothing less. Last time I visited the centre after ten years I was appalled by the state of it and the druggies ruining it for everyone. Place is getting like Seattle and San Fran. 

Society has now decided to forget the unfortunates instead of helping them they are left to their own devices and we suffer the consequences.

We need to start caring again or it will only get worse.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/04/2022 at 18:43, Inspector Lestrade said:

The new buildings look like they going to be uninspiring and devoid of character.

Sigh 

I think you might be missing an important point. We really don't have a great store of ancient, historic buildings nor even a huge  number of 18th or 19th century buildings, either. Not in our city centre. It;s a late 19th century to modern day city centre. We don't have arcades like in Leeds or even Halifax but we have a hugely spacious city centre. Just go to other big cities (maybe Newcastle is an exception) and see how claustrophobic and cramped they are. They don't have trees in their city centres (a few scrawny ones, maybe). We have space and air and it looks like we are making the best of that. No, we will never be Prague or Venice. But we can be a lot more like other great cities across the world or just be completely ourself, our own style, with spacious squares and parks right in the heart of the city. We haven't got an architectural heritage from our ancestors but we are able to leave one for our descendants. Everythingg new looks soulless at first. Wait until your grandchildren are looking at the new buildings and ask them for their opinion.  I think Sheffield is great and I love her.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VictoryBell said:

I think you might be missing an important point. We really don't have a great store of ancient, historic buildings nor even a huge  number of 18th or 19th century buildings, either. Not in our city centre. It;s a late 19th century to modern day city centre. We don't have arcades like in Leeds or even Halifax but we have a hugely spacious city centre. Just go to other big cities (maybe Newcastle is an exception) and see how claustrophobic and cramped they are. They don't have trees in their city centres (a few scrawny ones, maybe). We have space and air and it looks like we are making the best of that. No, we will never be Prague or Venice. But we can be a lot more like other great cities across the world or just be completely ourself, our own style, with spacious squares and parks right in the heart of the city. We haven't got an architectural heritage from our ancestors but we are able to leave one for our descendants. Everythingg new looks soulless at first. Wait until your grandchildren are looking at the new buildings and ask them for their opinion.  I think Sheffield is great and I love her.

I have yet to see any building go up in Sheffield over the last twenty years with any merit.   The buildings have obviously been designed by a computer in two minutes flat.  They will have a life span of thirty years soulless when they were built and remain that way today.  I would think anyone one struggle to name ten buildings built in the last forty years that they like.

7 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Society has now decided to forget the unfortunates instead of helping them they are left to their own devices and we suffer the consequences.

We need to start caring again or it will only get worse.  

Unfortunate? Left to their own devices?  They have a support network in many forms. More so than the elderly. 

I don't care about druggies 

Their choice to say no. They do nothing but bring misery to themselves and their family and all those that have to put up with them.  

2 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Unfortunate? Left to their own devices?  They have a support network in many forms. More so than the elderly. 

I don't care about druggies 

Their choice to say no. They do nothing but bring misery to themselves and their family and all those that have to put up with them.  

Support is bugger all the agencies are swamped.. The government really need to go to war top drug criminals but as half the cabinet are on the stuff I doubt they will do much.

• Like 1