Danny Cowley desperate to sign George Hirst

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's been mentioned before but those who are all too eager to jump onto the 'I hate hirst' bandwagon don't like to hear it

Yes I've seen it said on here in the past. The smippet from Wednesday_Jack was news to me. I make no comment on its accuracy or otherwise.

Personally I think things could likely have been dealt with better from both camps to greater or lesser  degrees. For me though its about the here and now and, as I said earlier, but for the past he would IMO be a good fit for us now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

It's been mentioned before but those who are all too eager to jump onto the 'I hate hirst' bandwagon don't like to hear it

like I said, I know with 100% certainty that both Hirst’s were very keen for the Chesterfield loan to go ahead.

Chesterfield approached Wednesday to make it happen and as we know it didn’t.

I also know the Hirst’s weren’t whiter than white in how they subsequently conducted themselves however if my son was in a similar position and his career was at stake, I don’t think id have done much differently. 

All said and done, I agree with @Teddy Nickelarse, if it fits to have him back now, I definitely would.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, sw1867 said:

I know for 100% certainty Hirst jnr was offered a loan move to Chesterfield. 

I was told with 100% certainty that both Hirst jnr & snr told Chesterfield they wanted the move to happen. (The Hirst’s might have said something different to DC)

I can be 100% certain that Hirst snr told Chesterfield that DC wouldn’t sanction it without a huge loan fee. (DC may not have said this).

No doubt in my mind this is true. This is a thought process from the first page of the DC text book!!

it was however mentioned that Hirst turned down a loan at Fleetwood saying it wasn't seen as part of his development.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

it was however mentioned that Hirst turned down a loan at Fleetwood saying it wasn't seen as part of his development.

Things like this (I don’t know specifically about fleetwood) played a part in me saying that Hirst wasn’t whiter than white.

It appeared to me that there was a stubbornness from the Hirst camp after they felt mistreated by DC and the relationship had broken down.

in reality, probably blame on both sides which with hindsight I’d hope they’d both regret some of their actions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

Shame about past acrimony because  he would be a good fit for us now. Weve lacked an imposing physical presence up front this season.  Hirst seems to be developing  into just this type; and one that scores to boot. 

Had we took the reported £2m when offered and there'd  been an amicable parting it might have been a real possibility. Mind you there'd  have been uproar  on here for a good while if we had taken the money offered back then.

Would have been good if Leicester had just paid us the compensation. But 2m quid would’ve been good too.

We should hopefully be using GH as an example as to why Bailey Cademarteri should give it a shot here. Sure he could earn more short term elsewhere but end up on loan at various places and not surface for 5/6 years. Play first team football in a settled place with family about and when you get your move you’re going in as a first team player not just another u23 prospect 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Things like this (I don’t know specifically about fleetwood) played a part in me saying that Hirst wasn’t whiter than white.

It appeared to me that there was a stubbornness from the Hirst camp after they felt mistreated by DC and the relationship had broken down.

in reality, probably blame on both sides which with hindsight I’d hope they’d both regret some of their actions.

Totally agree...and you can 100% see both sides of the fence behaving in ways that pretty much ended any hopes of moving forward.

We've seen DC's actions/treatment of other players.

2 hours ago, Skyline said:

Sadly, I can see this being more true than Hirst refusing any loan deal.

We have only recently changed how we operate and sent players out on loan.

The first couple of seasons with DC at the helm, how many players actually went out on loan? I don't recall many. Unless I just didn't pay attention. 

True. I think it’s on the list of many DC mistakes which DM and others have helped to unpick.

However for a lot of people, and rightly so in my view, it was the move to Leicester via Belgium rather than directly, to remove compensation which put the Hirst camp in a bad light. All the other issues about not playing, not being loaned are valid but just get your move to Leicester and be done with it and the academy staff who have supported you all those years get to point to that income.

The same goes for Liam Shaw too and a lesser extent Shaun Clare. No point is raising academy prospects or giving them a chance if we can’t even make the basic compensation from them or sell them to compete with P&S. That’s the whole point of it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bluesteel. said:

True. I think it’s on the list of many DC mistakes which DM and others have helped to unpick.

However for a lot of people, and rightly so in my view, it was the move to Leicester via Belgium rather than directly, to remove compensation which put the Hirst camp in a bad light. All the other issues about not playing, not being loaned are valid but just get your move to Leicester and be done with it and the academy staff who have supported you all those years get to point to that income.

The same goes for Liam Shaw too and a lesser extent Shaun Clare. No point is raising academy prospects or giving them a chance if we can’t even make the basic compensation from them or sell them to compete with P&S. That’s the whole point of it.

good post 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bluesteel. said:

All very true.

The move to Leicester via Belgium stinks and really made the situation a lot, LOT worse. But it happened. The FA should be looking into this and preventing it from happening in future, because if it carries on being allowed, we'll see it happen more and more.

Edit: Leicester are the ones I dislike after all of this. The compensation they would have needed to pay us is a drop in the ocean to them but a big chunk to us. 

Scum.

Edited by Skyline

Fans are fickle.

If Hirst came back and played with 100% commitment he would be supported.

If we are not considering him, it's because DC is stubborn, Moore doesbt rate him or Hirst doesn't want to come back.

It's irrelevant if the fans would accept it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, paulrs said:

Looking at the goals he’s scored this season, the fact he’s stayed fit and he’s only 23 you’d have to say he’s a better option than ANY of the strikers we have right now. 

He left us as an 18 year old.

Do you seriously believe that our fans would have given him 4-5 years to get where he is now?.

7 hours ago, Watto said:

I honestly didn't think he was going to flourish after he went to play in the Belgian league and hardly scored any goals, not sure he netted at mini pigs either but he's proved me and a loads more and tbh Chansiri has made ANOTHER mistake there not offering him a better contract.

What had he done at that time to deserve the contract his dad thought he deserved?.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skyline said:

Sadly, I can see this being more true than Hirst refusing any loan deal.

We have only recently changed how we operate and sent players out on loan.

The first couple of seasons with DC at the helm, how many players actually went out on loan? I don't recall many. Unless I just didn't pay attention. 

I am led to believe that Rotherham had agreed a deal with the club to take Hirst on a season long loan, so they must have agreed some financial deal with the club.