Moore’s Future if Promotion isn’t reached

52 minutes ago, Marro said:

Take stock at the end of the season.  Let’s see how we finish this campaign.

You should only make a change if: (1) we are not progressing and (2) if there is a better alternative.  

DM has assembled a decent squad.  Reasonable to ask if he’s got the best out of them, question his team selection and tactics etc.  …….but who is to say we will keep hold of our better players if DM left?

It is not that simple in my view.

I think the £800,000 in agent fees had much more to do with getting and retaining players than any influence DM had.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Sorry but this analogy is unfair and not based on fact. Although you can argue that DM is building something on the same way as Sir Jack and Big Ron, having been there at the time, DM does not have the same level of support. 
Please correct me if I’m wrong but there wasn’t concern about Jack or Ron’s tactical nous or experimental selections rather that they were making silk purses out of sows ears. 

Jack Charlton got criticised for his tactics and style of football at every club he was at (Newcastle most notably, but I believe there were critics at Wednesday too), and even has some critics in Ireland (Eamonn Dunphy being the mostly vocal). A big chunk of his autobiography is him justifying why he preferred direct football and why it was better than playing a short passing game and instances of why he left players out who couldn't play his preferred style.

I wasn't around in the 70s, but I can't believe there weren't some dissenting voices when we finished 14th in the third division (having come 8th the full season before he took over), winning only 2 away games all season. Not sure how much of a 'sow's ear' the squad was when the likes of Gillingham, Shrewsbury, Carlisle and Colchester were finishing 10 points above us.

We showed patience with Jack (and Big Ron, who, of course, took us down) - we should do the same with Darren Moore.

• Love 3

I think Moore deserves a pre season without embargo’s and the chaos of last summer. His tenure hasn’t been perfect but the club feels like it’s being managed better than when it was under Pulis, Jos or Monk.

So if Moore has a good relationship with the chairman, in the long term,  the stability should start paying off. The players like Moore and he’s created a good team spirit. 

Sacking Moore wouldn’t achieve much at this stage, only disrupting any progress he’s made behind the scenes. 

Edited by CourteenerOwl
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, parajack said:

We always see comparisons with the Wigans & Sunderlands,never any with Rotherham or Barnsley,both Clubs considered 'YO YO' who have to wheel and deal with loans and survive by selling players ...

Yet both in recent Years got straight back up at first attempt....

Rotherham form dire at the minute and some very tired legs  but still 3rd with games in hand....WW on our coat tails on the same points another team relegated with us last season.

People getting too giddy about potentially reaching the play offs....5 or 6th in Div 3 is NOT good enough......Have we,(are we) doing at least as well as the teams relegated with us? At the minute jurys out.....

I was responding to a post about Sunderland so of course that was the comparison.

Anywsy Rotherham have stuck with their manager even when relegated so they are a good argument for consistency and not chopping and changing all the time.

Edited by NorthernOwl
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

I think Moore deserves a pre season without embargo’s and the chaos of last summer. His tenure hasn’t been perfect but the club feels like it’s being managed better than when it was under Pulis, Jos or Monk.

So if Moore has a good relationship with the chairman, in the long term,  the stability should start paying off. The players like Moore and he’s created a good team spirit. 

Sacking Moore wouldn’t achieve much at this stage, only disrupting any progress he’s made behind the scenes. 

Stop talking sense FFS! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

The last two times we went up from league 1 we stayed up for 5 years and 9 years, and nearly got promoted again. 

There's no reason why we can't rebuild in the championship and still stay up. Its all about promotion at all costs right now, nothing else matters.

In the 5 year period we were treading water due to serious financial issues. Laws in particular did his level best to keep us afloat.

In the 9 year period you mention we were more financially stable and gave a generally better account of ourselves and then we had the promotion push you talk about due to DC’s millions and it was the first time since relegation from the premier league that we genuinely sniffed a return but it all went pear shaped.

One thing we’ve never really invested in, is the infrastructure to keep us sustainable during tough times. An infrastructure I think Moore is trying to and given time will put in place. 

DC learnt a costly lesson or two the last time we were in the championship. I’m sure Moore is trying to advise him on better practices for the next time we get there and that’s why I think we should stick with him and why I think DC will stick with him?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

If we bin Moore off at the end of the season then some on here will claim that its a racist decision.

Haven't heard anyone seriously suggest our Chairman is racist.

People on this forum and twitter repeating racist tropes are a different matter, but fortunately they don't get any say in this decision.

• Thanks 2

I would keep him. I think Wednesday above all else need stability and that’s going to be our best bet of sorting ourselves out long term. I want to see a manager have at least 2 seasons just to bring some sort of order to the club

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Haven't heard anyone seriously suggest our Chairman is racist.

People on this forum and twitter repeating racist tropes are a different matter, but fortunately they don't get any say in this decision.

Im not for one minute suggesting our chairman is a racist. What I am saying us that there are some folk on here that equate any criticism of our current manager as being racist which is utter bxllxcks quite frankly. As far as Im concerned our manager could be a green 3 eyed octo sauropod from the planet Zaarrg. If he knew what he was doing I'd back him, unfortunately the current manager in my view isnt up to the job. His press babblings make my ears bleed and the team selections are mainly baffling.

Nobody would be happier than me to be proven wrong about Darren and his current Wednesday side, but I just think that they are are a bit chinny & when the going gets tough they invariably come up short. The next few weeks will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think Chansiri will stick with him regardless. He's backed him and has remained surprisingly quiet whilst Moore has been at the helm. 

If we don't go up this season, I'd 100% back Moore to manage it next season. He offers stability and he is building a foundation here that quite frankly we've lacked for too long. 

A proper transfer window without an embargo or relegation or any negative press should do wonders for us. I don't think it's fair to judge him on a season full of freebies and loans to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Btw

No surprise to see this thread and the haterz appearing on the site despite the fact that we are still in 5th with our destiny in our own hands..

It’s almost like they were waiting for us not to win to pounce.

100% this. When we win there's silence and if it's a narrow victory then they will still find something to have a go at Moore about yet they all preach winning is everything...

• Like 2

Said in another thread that if we didn't finish top 6 and we moved him on I could understand it despite not personally agreeing with it.

If he gets us in the top six then for me he's over achieved with everything we've had to deal with.

Embargo

Fanbase in flux after the last few years

Injury crisis

Changing the culture of the club

Yeah on paper we've got a good squad but we've not been able to get it out on the pitch often enough at full strength. That isn't Moore's fault, he's done well to get in some of the players he has for the level. He's well respected in the game, that could be a big asset going forward.

I do accept if we don't do up and he stays then there is a big pressure to go up next season, but the form since January has shown that if we can keep this squad together and add to it in the right areas then we would be in the mix for automatic in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

I was around in the 70s watching us under 'Big Jack' & i can tell you there was NO such dissent with the fan base,and we felt well lucky to have Jack Charlton as our manager......Dito the 'direct' football...nothing new at the time at all...

Few if any non English managers around to bring in the the slower style of football fancied in primarily much hotter Countrys where fast,attacking play over extended periods 

just wasnt feasible.

We should be in the automatics with this squad,and rebuilding should be done after promotion,not languishing in L1 and being used as an excuse for sitting in 5th,or 6th in Div 3,in a play off position on GD,after drawing a game AGAIN.....

Lets hope 13 is NOT unlucky for some........

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dollydaydream said:

100% this. When we win there's silence and if it's a narrow victory then they will still find something to have a go at Moore about yet they all preach winning is everything...

5th in Div 3......drawn a game again we should have won,unable (again!13 now....) to defend against a set piece.....We DO need to win every game now,as the form of our immidiate rivals(WW,Sunderland) has seen them pressing on our heels....(so its fair comment)

DM playing NML with Gregory when we have better options on the bench.......and you say 'they will find something to have a go at DM about'....

Take off your blinkered vision.......because if DM persists with NML up front we may well slip out of the play offs

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

Probably not but it’s a shame because although he ain’t brilliant he’s miles better than Jos, Monk and Pulis.

Really? on what basis? Jos kept us in the Championship in his first season here,stopped the defence leaking goals, and got LJ & big Dave scoring goals......GM got us to third before the **** hit the fan,kept Birmingham up,and  had two great results before being sacked,I dont think we would have been relegated if he had stayed.

TP has never been relegated in his career as a manager,and didnt stay long enough for us to take a view..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, parajack said:

I was around in the 70s watching us under 'Big Jack' & i can tell you there was NO such dissent with the fan base,and we felt well lucky to have Jack Charlton as our manager......Dito the 'direct' football...nothing new at the time at all...

Few if any non English managers around to bring in the the slower style of football fancied in primarily much hotter Countrys where fast,attacking play over extended periods 

just wasnt feasible.

We should be in the automatics with this squad,and rebuilding should be done after promotion,not languishing in L1 and being used as an excuse for sitting in 5th,or 6th in Div 3,in a play off position on GD,after drawing a game AGAIN.....

Lets hope 13 is NOT unlucky for some........

EDIT:TYPO '5'th