Moore’s Future if Promotion isn’t reached

Just now, parajack said:

NO because he will go out and recruit again(he will have to) and there is no sign he has learned from his previous errors...

Tbf, wouldn't you say his recruitment is one of his actual strengths? 

• Like 4

All the people who want him gone if we fail to get promoted would have wanted Big Ron and Big Jack out too.

Moore is building something at this club which I assume most can see. It would be madness to sack him and then try again and then what if that person doesn’t get promoted straight away. On and on and on etc.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

For the controversy with his team selection and his failure to sort these set pieces out. He's done a lot of good here. 

We are having a bumper second half of a season, where we've dealt with injuries, Covid and team experimentation. He's certainly had a few challenges to deal with. 

Despite all that, we sit in fifth and look one of the strongest teams in this division. For the time he's been here, I think he's done well enough to warrant another season. 

We must all remember the scale of this job. Many managers prior to him spoke of the 'difficulties' that were being faced. Yet here we are, with a promotion chasing, in form, free scoring team. Within one full season.

He's not been perfect and I understand the criticism levelled at him at times. But perspective is needed and if we don't go up this season, I think we'll be a stronger team next season and be looking at automatics.

Think every other manager in this league would love to have had same "difficulties"  as DM, highest wage budget in league and squad packed full of championship experience.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Stick with him 100%. He’s doing a good job. Snatching a draw from the jaws of a win does not change my opinion.  We have faults but we are also doing really well in general. 

6th in Div 3 doing a 'good job'? really?...look again....we are only 6th on goal difference,and 2 points thrown away(again to a set piece!)..leading to our 13 draw in a very poor Division, is NOT in my view 'doing a good job'....

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Right I’m going to stick my neck out and try to explain why my attitude towards Moore is totally different to my attitude towards Monk and then the good old folk of OT can shoot me down in flames.

This season hasn’t been perfect by any means. It was never going to be. Some aspects of this season have been under Moore’s control, other aspects like the constant injuries haven’t. 

Despite everything we still have a chance of promotion which wasn’t universally being predicted on here at the start of the season like some are saying. I think you’ll find relegation was a big concern amongst some. We’ve been nowhere near a relegation battle this season.

Do I like the passing style of play?

That we are actually scoring goals and winning regularly at home?

That we might finally have sorted out the Bannan conundrum?

That players aren’t constantly frozen out?

That the players seem to enjoy playing for their manager?

That the manager appreciates the support of the fans?

That the manager tries to look after the well being of his players after injury?

That we make early decisions on young players to try and give them a chance of a future elsewhere but give us a chance to bring others in who can potentially grow with us and do better?

That we push youngsters like Cadamarteri, Hall and Holland up the age groups quicker to potentially bring them up to first team standard quicker?

That we regularly have young players train with the first team?

That we have a manager who looks at the welfare of the entire club rather than just himself and the first team squad?

An emphatic YES to all of the above.

But let’s get rid of him because he has played NML as a central striker in 3 games where we’ve picked up 7/9 points.

I’ll tell you one thing, the next manager should we replace Moore in the summer may well get us out of League 1 but we’ll falter eventually because the foundations aren’t in place. We stick with Moore we’ll eventually prosper because the foundations actually will be laid.

Financially-speaking we can't afford to stay at this level.

Try as he might, Moore simply can't sort out the problem of our conceding goals from dead-ball situations.

And at this level that's a real problem.

Nor is he the best tactically.

Listening to and reading what the fans of other clubs say and write, most seem to think that with this squad we should at the very least be finishing in the play-offs.

If he fails to achieve that then he should go IMO.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, parajack said:

NO because he will go out and recruit again(he will have to) and there is no sign he has learned from his previous errors...

Hasn't he assessed this team and we're sitting in 5th place. 

49 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Cannot believe some of the leniency shown in this thread. 

We will sleepwalk into being League One also-rans if we're not careful. Look at Sunderland.  

This 100% but they dont want to hear/read it mate....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What's the actual stats around this though?

Is it 100% proven that managers who have previously been promoted have gone on to repeat it regularly and that they are the best choice?

Or is it fact that managers who get promoted come out of nowhere and usually have no previous experience of it?

It’s not 100%, but experience of it and what it takes etc is better than not.

Id rather have a manager who has achieved it at some stage than take a chance one that hasn’t - which to a degree we have done with Moore.  It may still work..if so, great.

Some do come out of nowhere, of course..but Bruce didn’t and whilst he wasn’t here long enough, he was starting to get us to a position where we would have been were competitive if he had stayed.  That comes from experience.  

49 minutes ago, Jim said:

Who could actually go up this season?

After how many Years in the doldrums of L1?...thats his point Jim.....he doesnt want us to do a 'Sunderland' but rather to do a Rotherham or a Barnsley,both teams who have returned to the Championship at the first attempt once relegated.Twice before in Rotherhams case...though their star is fading a little currently,they still sit above us..

2 minutes ago, parajack said:

No it doesnt,totally agree....but his point was he thinks some will still say it does

I don't hope so. 

I have to confess, that the race topic is always at the back of my mind when I read something about Moore and I always make my own judgement, if the comment is legitimate or racist. Therefore I openly claimed that it looks racist to me, if somebody tries to fire a manager "now".

Saying this, that does not automatically mean, that any grudge about DM is always race motivated and that people should not be critcal of him.

For example, I read all your posts especially because I rarely agree with them. It opens my eyes for different opinions. Although you are clearly critical of DM, I NEVER had the opinion, that your "dislike" of him had anything to do with race. 

You know what I mean?

5 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

It’s not 100%, but experience of it and what it takes etc is better than not. 

Agreed

BUT

Is it statistically proven that managers with experience of promotion do it again and again?

I have no idea hence why I'm asking but I think it would be interesting to find out if any such stats exist!

Owlstalk Shop

I’m not his biggest fan but I would stick with him, if only because I have no faith in Chansiri making a sound appointment to replace him.

The team’s inability to defend set pieces goes against Moore though.

He will have money to spend in the summer so no excuses next season.

• Like 1

Shame he wouldn’t want to be Director of Football thinking about some the good things he’s doing for the club much wider then the first team. 

For me if he gets the playoffs then he keeps his job regardless of the outcome. If not then regardless of the good things he’s doing wider it’s ultimately the first team what counts.

IMO I think DC will stop with him regardless. 

I’d stick with him. I think he can attract the players and but for some injuries in the autumn I think we’d be looking at autos. It’s started to come together in recent months.

Only replace if there is a clear plan on a replacement. Learn from Sunderland 

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

Cannot believe some of the leniency shown in this thread. 

We will sleepwalk into being League One also-rans if we're not careful. Look at Sunderland.  

Sunderland have had 4 managers and 3 caretakers in their 4 seasons in League 1. Their record offers more of an argument to keep Moore than to bin him. 

Moore has been very frustrating at times, but he is steadily learning and improving. Because of that I'd give him another year. 

• Love 1