Moore’s Future if Promotion isn’t reached

On 10/04/2022 at 09:17, SamSWFC56383 said:

Do We stick with Moore next season if we are unsuccessful to get promoted ?

We "Go again". 

Simple.

All the previous Favourite names have failed to gain promotion with their most recent clubs and been sacked!.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

That seems fair enough.

I've backed DM pretty strongly this season, and I think on the whole we're moving in the right direction. I'm happy for him to still be in charge next season, regardless of whether or not we go up, even if we fail to make the playoffs. 

The caveat is that if we're still in L1 next season, he needs to demonstrate he can take us forward and improve on this season. And as you say, that really means being in the mix for automatic.

It depends how you pick your data, I suppose.

After the Bolton game, I went back over our form since February. No particular reason for picking February, it just seemed like a sensible milestone. In that time, we have played 14, W9, D3, L2. Which by my calculations is a 64% win ratio. That's pretty impressive, really, and would have been even more so if it hadn't been for that last minute equaliser. To my way of thinking, we have improved significantly since the new year, and our form since February is, without question, automatic promotion form.

Also true of course that stats alone don't give you the full picture. I think that for the Sunderland and Shrewsbury away games we were still suffering the after effects from the Covid outbreak and the lack of training and in a couple of our recent defeats (Rotherham at home and Oxford away) I thought we played well and were unfortunate. Saturday we were extremely unfortunate for their equaliser as it just falls perfectly and save for that this thread probably doesn't exist. 

Back to stats, this is already our 4th most successful season looked at purely in terms of how many points we've won since relegation from the Premier League. Regardless of what division we're in from where we were in the summer I think that's a decent return and I don't think Moore gets enough credit for that. 

• Like 6

Haha. Whatever the result, Moore stays for me. On the to do list:

Keep Luongo, Hunt.
Try and keep Storey, Gibson, Hutch and Dean. Then one or both of Dunkley & Iorfa.

New left back.

New keeper or BPF perm. New no 2.

Gregory, Bera and a fit Windass. 2 x new strikers.

Keep NML, 2 x new wingers/attacking mids.

2 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Just as there is zero evidence that he would take us back down

Cant get in the top 2 in one of the worst league 1s in history with a squad getting paid 10 million a year 

He'd embarrass us in the championship 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Luke said:

Cant get in the top 2 in one of the worst league 1s in history

You might want to do a bit of research before making such sweeping statements.

Last season, 74 points would have got us in the play-offs. We're already on 73 this season, with 5 games still to go. I can easily see us finishing on 80-82 points which last season would have seen us in 3rd place. Fact is this season is actually pretty competitive in L1

52 minutes ago, Luke said:

with a squad getting paid 10 million a year 

Another sweeping statement. How do you know this? Can you give us a link?

And since when did wage bill equate to success?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Cant get in the top 2 in one of the worst league 1s in history with a squad getting paid 10 million a year 

He'd embarrass us in the championship 

You embarrass yourself on here...but it's good comedic value otherwise we'd have to find some stewards to evict you 🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

If we finish strong and make the play-offs I’m give him the benefit of the doubt. We’ve improved a lot these last few months. If he can keep the core of the team, and improve one or two places, there’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to compete Moore at the helm next season. 

Still feel he has a lot to prove, and it’s promotion this year or next or he must go. 

One thing Moore has to improve on next season is our forward line. Apart from Gregory he really hasn’t done well signing strikers and they are so important. People like Sow, Kamberi have been very poor signings. Berahino apart from a couple of games has been disappointing also imo. Moore wanting to play NML up top who isn’t a striker says it all about those 3 players. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

14 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

One thing Moore has to improve on next season is our forward line. Apart from Gregory he really hasn’t done well signing strikers and they are so important. People like Sow, Kamberi have been very poor signings. Berahino apart from a couple of games has been disappointing also imo. Moore wanting to play NML up top who isn’t a striker says it all about those 3 players. 

Any one of those strikers, given an extended run without getting dropped every time they score could have done well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

You might want to do a bit of research before making such sweeping statements.

Last season, 74 points would have got us in the play-offs. We're already on 73 this season, with 5 games still to go. I can easily see us finishing on 80-82 points which last season would have seen us in 3rd place. Fact is this season is actually pretty competitive in L1

Another sweeping statement. How do you know this? Can you give us a link?

And since when did wage bill equate to success?

I think it’s his opinion rather than a fact.

As for the wage bill, it generally does. You only have to look at the premier league and it’s the same 6 sides in the top 6 every season with the odd one punching above their weight like Leicester/West Ham. If it wasn’t about the wage bill then you’d see some variety in positions. Another example is promotion/relegation and the Watford/Norwich/Fulham/West Brom up/down/up/down.

Money talks in modern football. Spending what we do we should have the expectation of winning the league. If we don’t it’s down to manager and/or players. The point to debate is how much blame gets apportioned where.

He has to stay if we miss out this season.Alot of the players came in this season just because of Moore.

All this best squad in div rubbish does my head in,no we have not.

Maybe when every one is fully fit we may have best starting 11 but,as for best  squad what a load of tosh.

Big rebuild comming up again either way,no embargo either,DC will back whoever is in charge one thing he always has done when allowed too.

I see it as if DC backs Moore again if we don't go up,then Moore has to be in and around top 2 most of season or he might lose his job then.IMO...

UTO.....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

He has to stay if we miss out this season.Alot of the players came in this season just because of Moore.

All this best squad in div rubbish does my head in,no we have not.

Maybe when every one is fully fit we may have best starting 11 but,as for best  squad what a load of tosh.

Big rebuild comming up again either way,no embargo either,DC will back whoever is in charge one thing he always has done when allowed too.

I see it as if DC backs Moore again if we don't go up,then Moore has to be in and around top 2 most of season or he might lose his job then.IMO...

UTO.....

Who has a better squad than us then? As a whole squad not just a few players?

1 minute ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Who has a better squad than us then? As a whole squad not just a few players?

Perhaps everybody else in top 8...

We have 50% freebies and  loans,not our own players castoffs and fringe players..We haven't even got decent forwards.

Only Windass would get in any other team if fit..

Enlighten me tho if you think differently as this is just my opinion.Stick with DM and go again,let him have some money to spend.

I'm not knocking our first 11 mind.UTO.

4 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Perhaps everybody else in top 8...

We have 50% freebies and  loans,not our own players castoffs and fringe players..We haven't even got decent forwards.

Only Windass would get in any other team if fit..

Enlighten me tho if you think differently as this is just my opinion.Stick with DM and go again,let him have some money to spend.

I'm not knocking our first 11 mind.UTO.

That sounds like typical league 1 recruitment though, not many sides pay out big fees, it’s mostly frees and loans. Last time we were down here we had players on frees, spent a bit on Madine but the majority of the spine was frees/nominal fees/loans.

I agree re forwards, that’s where we need to strengthen for sure. But I think our keeper/defence/midfield is the best in the league. Bannan would walk in to every team in this league and half of those in the division above too.

Just now, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

That sounds like typical league 1 recruitment though, not many sides pay out big fees, it’s mostly frees and loans. Last time we were down here we had players on frees, spent a bit on Madine but the majority of the spine was frees/nominal fees/loans.

I agree re forwards, that’s where we need to strengthen for sure. But I think our keeper/defence/midfield is the best in the league. Bannan would walk in to every team in this league and half of those in the division above too.

Yep I agree,that's why I said not knocking starting 11 prob bench too when everyone's fit but,we haven't got the best 23/24 players.Id prob only keep 2 of our forwards for next season.

UTO

6 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Speaks volumes...TP as a saviour 🤣 🤣

Did i say that ? NO was my statement correct about him factual ? YES.........& would TP have kept us up had he stayed? in my view probably YES....Would the football have been good? well we know the answer to that one..........

Stick a few more laughing icons on....