Moore’s Future if Promotion isn’t reached

8 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Im not for one minute suggesting our chairman is a racist. What I am saying us that there are some folk on here that equate any criticism of our current manager as being racist which is utter bxllxcks quite frankly. As far as Im concerned our manager could be a green 3 eyed octo sauropod from the planet Zaarrg. If he knew what he was doing I'd back him, unfortunately the current manager in my view isnt up to the job. His press babblings make my ears bleed and the team selections are mainly baffling.

Nobody would be happier than me to be proven wrong about Darren and his current Wednesday side, but I just think that they are are a bit chinny & when the going gets tough they invariably come up short. The next few weeks will tell.

People implying racism about ANY critique of DM seem to be colour 'blind' as we have many people of colour in our team,who we both support and critique on footballing matters ONLY.....same applies to the manager..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markg said:

Why does Moore have to win every game to avoid criticism? 

He doesn’t. What he has to to is get the best squad by a distance in this league, in the play offs. As a minimum. Moore has had fantastic support from the Chairman and it’s a results business.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

He almost certainly keeps his job if we don’t go up so long as we make the playoffs. That’s fair.

The question is, should he keep his job if we miss the playoffs. Which you could put down to our point lost from winning positions, 19 I believe and goals concerned from set pieces. Unforgivable failings for a ex defender really.

Was very Moore out around christmas time, the Sunderland and Shrews away performances being the main factor for it and the constant chopping and changing of players and tactics, but the second half of the season has been much better, his January recruitment helping that. BUT, if we don't get promoted it's a failure, he'll have had longer than any manager in the last few years and ultimately he'll have failed to keep us up when all we needed was a win against Derby, Wycombe or Rotherham which he failed to deliver and then if we don't go up this season he'll have failed with the best budget and best squad in the league. Feel like a better manager would have had us in the top 2 by this point of the season and on course for automatics, not struggling at making the top 6.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, vulva said:

He doesn’t. What he has to to is get the best squad by a distance in this league, in the play offs. As a minimum. Moore has had fantastic support from the Chairman and it’s a results business.  

He does tend to have question marks over his future every time we lose.

We always tend to think we've got the best squad in league one every time when we are in this league. Usually in the first season we are nowhere near 5th at this stage of the season. 

• Like 2

I suppose it comes down to two things;

Sucess and progress.

Well if we go up we've had sucess and he stays no questions need to be asked.

If we don't go up, thats failure, so then you have to ask, has there been enough progress on the pitch to give us confidence that we can make top two next season.

It doesn't matter if we get promoted anyway 

We will come straight down under moore 

Theres zero evidence that he would keep us up 

It took him 5 months and a squad full of injuries to get any sort of form in league 1 

The thought of moore having money to spend and having options for players scares the poo out of me 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The issue is if we don't go up - financially we could be back in a pretty bad place. 

I assume Chansiri has gambled and offered up more cash for wages this year, even on the ones we've brought in they will smash many others in the league. 

Moore has to get this team up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parajack said:

People implying racism about ANY critique of DM seem to be colour 'blind' as we have many people of colour in our team,who we both support and critique on footballing matters ONLY.....same applies to the manager..

I agree that racism is a strong term and probably not justified in the posts in this thread.

However there does appear to be an unconscious bias within football.  I'm not going to post figures, have a look for your own proof.  Have a look at how many BAME players there are in the football divisions, compare that to the percentage of BAME in England and then look at the percentage of BAME managers in football.

I am by no means saying forum members are guilty of this, or the chairman, I am just pointing out some stats that could support an accusation of unconscious bias in football.

2 hours ago, parajack said:

5th in Div 3......drawn a game again we should have won,unable (again!13 now....) to defend against a set piece.....We DO need to win every game now,as the form of our immidiate rivals(WW,Sunderland) has seen them pressing on our heels....(so its fair comment)

DM playing NML with Gregory when we have better options on the bench.......and you say 'they will find something to have a go at DM about'....

Take off your blinkered vision.......because if DM persists with NML up front we may well slip out of the play offs

Rather put my faith in an ex professional who's played at the highest level who works with the players daily rather than some short sighted armchair know it all. 

Moore has done a cracking job in difficult circumstances. Expectations at the start of the season were unrealistic and then the injurries that left is with no fit defenders were crippling. The team is now playing some great football. If we don't go up but keep this team together and make the right additions and we can win the league at a cnter next season. Instand gratification is for muck hub. It doesn't work very often in football and changing manager yet again will make it far less likely we go up next year.

• Like 1

I'd give Moore until at least Christmas next season to assess whether we're on the right track. By then however I'd expect us to be within sight of the top 2 for his to stay and he needs to work out how to win away more often. 

What I do think is interesting is that the view seems to be that we had a poor first half of the season and are having a good 2nd half whereas I don't think things are that clear cut. We'd amassed 37 points from 22 games up until the Covid cancellations (having played all teams once except for Burton) and I think I'm right in saying that if we'd played (and obviously beaten Accrington) on 18th December it would have been one of only a few times we'd got to 40 points by Christmas since relegation from the Prem. Since we started up again after the disruption we've gained 36 points from 19 games which is a little better (it works out at about 10 additional points if we'd performed like that over the entire season) but it's not exactly a chasm and we've actually been less effective away from home having only won away twice at Burton and Donny as compared to 4 away wins pre Christmas. We have been much better at home and definitely in terms of providing entertainment and scoring goals but we've also had less injuries but we've been lacking away from home which is a worry with 3 games away from Hillsborough to come.     

28 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

I'd give Moore until at least Christmas next season to assess whether we're on the right track. By then however I'd expect us to be within sight of the top 2 for his to stay and he needs to work out how to win away more often. 

That seems fair enough.

I've backed DM pretty strongly this season, and I think on the whole we're moving in the right direction. I'm happy for him to still be in charge next season, regardless of whether or not we go up, even if we fail to make the playoffs. 

The caveat is that if we're still in L1 next season, he needs to demonstrate he can take us forward and improve on this season. And as you say, that really means being in the mix for automatic.

28 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

What I do think is interesting is that the view seems to be that we had a poor first half of the season and are having a good 2nd half whereas I don't think things are that clear cut. 

It depends how you pick your data, I suppose.

After the Bolton game, I went back over our form since February. No particular reason for picking February, it just seemed like a sensible milestone. In that time, we have played 14, W9, D3, L2. Which by my calculations is a 64% win ratio. That's pretty impressive, really, and would have been even more so if it hadn't been for that last minute equaliser. To my way of thinking, we have improved significantly since the new year, and our form since February is, without question, automatic promotion form.