Citeh v Liverpool

2 minutes ago, Birstall Owl said:

Absolutely, but he's not David Silva ;-)........and he's in denial that he's thinning on top :biggrin:

No, though there will only ever be one David Silva tbh. 

Bernardo is this weird mishmash of industrious, hard working, diminutive midfielder, who can also do a job up top. 

Suppose Foden is sort of similar. Swear we didn't really used to see these sort of players in English football. 

• Like 1

Yep it was the top 2 teams in the country going at each other.

But it really lacked something as well. There was no bite or rivalry to it. It isnt a patch on Man U v Arsenal games of the past.

The PL has such a gap now I find it hard to care about two teams hitting near 100 points way clear of 3rd. 

Sky can hype it but it just isnt that interesting and I cant see it changing for a while.

11 hours ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Yep it was the top 2 teams in the country going at each other.

But it really lacked something as well. There was no bite or rivalry to it. It isnt a patch on Man U v Arsenal games of the past.

The PL has such a gap now I find it hard to care about two teams hitting near 100 points way clear of 3rd. 

Sky can hype it but it just isnt that interesting and I cant see it changing for a while.

If you look at it objectively as a competition, the Premier League is a bit bizarre this season.

This year Chelsea were supposed to have a really good chance, but they have never really been close since the opening month. It's been a two horse race for ages,.

Chelsea then have been stranded in third place, with teams beneath them being incredibly inconsistent, and even now the ' race for 4th place'  is between three very flawed teams in Spurs, Arsenal and the terrible but still there Man Utd. 

Then there's West Ham and Wolves, and after that a big gap to a bunch of teams that can beat each other on any given day , right down to Norwich who I think are a joke for the way they just accept relegation every time they get promotion.

Only the top 5 have won more than half their games.

9th downwards have a negative goal difference 

The ' pundits' have been bigging Crystal Palace up all season...but they have won 8 games all season..losing 10.  Not exactly great stats on paper. 

I just the think the money and spending power the big clubs have just make it a quite a disjointed competition.

7 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

If you look at it objectively as a competition, the Premier League is a bit bizarre this season.

This year Chelsea were supposed to have a really good chance, but they have never really been close since the opening month. It's been a two horse race for ages,.

Chelsea then have been stranded in third place, with teams beneath them being incredibly inconsistent, and even now the ' race for 4th place'  is between three very flawed teams in Spurs, Arsenal and the terrible but still there Man Utd. 

Then there's West Ham and Wolves, and after that a big gap to a bunch of teams that can beat each other on any given day , right down to Norwich who I think are a joke for the way they just accept relegation every time they get promotion.

Only the top 5 have won more than half their games.

9th downwards have a negative goal difference 

The ' pundits' have been bigging Crystal Palace up all season...but they have won 8 games all season..losing 10.  Not exactly great stats on paper. 

I just the think the money and spending power the big clubs have just make it a quite a disjointed competition.

I know Man United won 99/00 and 00/01 easily but from memory there wasn't such a schism in the league.

* I could be wrong.

But while top teams will have the top players the wages mean this is more unbalanced than ever. Will a player sign for a mid table team over a top four team these days? 

If we ever got back to the PL the achievements of Wolves is absolute limit of what we would ever achieve. Or we would be a Palace/Burnley.

How fun.

Just now, Quickly Kevin said:

I know Man United won 99/00 and 00/01 easily but from memory there wasn't such a schism in the league.

* I could be wrong.

But while top teams will have the top players the wages mean this is more unbalanced than ever. Will a player sign for a mid table team over a top four team these days? 

If we ever got back to the PL the achievements of Wolves is absolute limit of what we would ever achieve. Or we would be a Palace/Burnley.

How fun.

I mean, it won't be an issue for a while I don't think,  but looking at the table now we could finish anywhere from 8th downwards if we got there .

Brighton and Palace are 10th and 11th, and before the first game of the season no-one would have batted an eyelid if they finished in the bottom three. 

7 points separate 8 teams in the middle of the table. That has to say something about the quality now. Aston Villa have lost 17 games this season and are still 12th! 

If you can't enjoy matches like that on Sunday then you have a screw loose. The best players in the world, the best managers, trading punch for punch it was brilliant, can't wait for it again at the weekend. All the wages and money aside, it's awesome to watch. Money is what it is in football nowadays i'm past caring about how much PSG are spending on Neymar or what City are paying for Grealish etc, that's football at the top end unfortunately so just got to get on with it and enjoy the standard nowadays. The quality in these 2 teams is frightening, but granted watching Martin Keown forearm smash Van Nistelrooy was also top entertainment 20 years ago