Up Front

Personally, Darren Moore wants NML in the side as he’s clearly a championship player. But he doesn’t want to drop either Jack Hunt or Marvin Johnson as overall they are both playing very well.

But for me, NML is not a striker and he can’t play the role effectively. Moore needs to ditch this experiment and either play Berahino or El Pato next to Lee Gregory. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

That like NML up top.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far.

He's clearly better suited to the flanks.

I just think he offers something to the team that the other options don't, and I can understand Moore's thinking in wanting a pacy option at the top of the pitch for periods of certain games.

5 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Stats can be really interesting things, can't they?

For example, our record when starting Mendez-Laing up front is:

Played: 5

Won: 3

Drawn: 1

Lost: 1

PPG: 2.00 (automatic promotion form)

:ph34r:

During those 5 games he started NML up top.

NML up top - 370 mins - we’ve scored 4

NML subbed off - 80 mins - we’ve scored 5

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

During those 5 games he started NML up top.

NML up top - 370 mins - we’ve scored 4

NML subbed off - 80 mins - we’ve scored 5

Yep.

Moore used the full squad effectively, including his substitutes.

There's absolutely no guarantee we'd have better results had we started with a different option and introduced Mendez-Laing from the bench. 

I know it's easy to say we would, but there are too many variables in any game of football for such simplistic thinking. 

• Like 1

It’s the business end of the season and Moore as got to get the big calls right . As good as Hunt has been if moore wants to play NML he should have the balls to drop him , not try and shoe horn him into the team . For the record I’d play hunt and Johnson wing backs , berahino/ Gregory up front with Paterson. Use NML as an impact sub. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yep.

Moore used the full squad effectively, including his substitutes.

There's absolutely no guarantee we'd have better results had we started with a different option and introduced Mendez-Laing from the bench. 

I know it's easy to say we would, but there are too many variables in any game of football for such simplistic thinking. 

If ever I’m in the Crown Court I’m choosing you as my defence barrister.

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We seem to be ignoring the fact that Berahino, as good as he's been in certain games, still played 34 minutes of yesterday's game.

If playing him was going to make such an obvious difference to yesterday's result, well, um...why didn't it?

🤷‍♂️

We scored. 

20 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

I’m one of Gregory’s biggest fans - his reading of the game today was excellent and he runs the channels unbelievably for a bloke nearly in his mid 30’s. 

But, when we went on our best spell this year - he didn’t feature, who led the line and did that job  - Paterson and Kamberi - alongside Windass and Sow. 

Arguably, you could say what you want about Paterson and him being a donkey - but we got results, same goes for Kamberi - but he worked and worked up top and chased down lost causes all day, enabling mistakes to be made and our midfield to collect and sweep up. 

The Gregory / Berahino partnership still needs another go, continuing with NML up top is mental. But if this one doesn’t pay off, then both Paterson and Kamberi deserve a shot at the role Gregory is doing right now - the results don’t lie, they are effective at a job nobody really gets the plaudits for - if they have a goal scorer next to them and our current midfield, the goals came and I’m sure would come again. 

YEP.....so why cant DM see it and pick accordingly in a crucial period?..

20 hours ago, BRADDO said:

Daz has decided NML will be partnering Gregory. 

I'm sorry but it's true. 

Oh, and due to the above, we'll finish 7th.

Jurys still out on that,but certainly it places us in a position where that might happen,and no need at all..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We seem to be ignoring the fact that Berahino, as good as he's been in certain games, still played 34 minutes of yesterday's game.

If playing him was going to make such an obvious difference to yesterday's result, well, um...why didn't it?

🤷‍♂️

Also ignoring the fact that Moore has got more football out of Berahino than any other manager in the last 7 years.

And that Berahino has only completed 90 minutes twice this season so there must be known issues within the club about his fitness

7 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

It’s not Gregory’s fault Moore plays NML alongside him . 

Doing so,at this point in the season,where the play off places  run in,is so close in my view is irresponsible.GRegory Berahino/Patto a place needs to be found in the team for these three.....thats where our goals are going to come from,with BB et al providing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, parajack said:

Doing so,at this point in the season,where the play off places  run in,is so close in my view is irresponsible.GRegory Berahino/Patto a place needs to be found in the team for these three.....thats where our goals are going to come from,with BB et al providing

Couldnt agree more.

Plus, we’ve negated Laing’s threat too.

From WB 2 goals, 2 assists.

From striker, nothing.

It makes absolutely zero sense. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Exactly right.

Pair NML with any striker and his partner becomes isolated.

And the criminal thing is that NML is an outstanding player at this level. He must be scratching his head wondering why he’s up top.

I bet he’s contributed to this thread criticising Moore under the username @playmewideyoufool

A good post by @todwick owl and I think @holmeowl has nailed it with his comments also.

For me Gregory is our best forward as he pulls wide lays the ball off and stretches defences much better than our other forwards. But because he pulls wide we need a player alongside him who's natural instinct is in the penalty area and with Windass injured Berahino looks our next best.

The other option would be the midfield breaking into the box more, like Hunt has done recently.

1 hour ago, pat blondeau said:

Also ignoring the fact that Moore has got more football out of Berahino than any other manager in the last 7 years.

And that Berahino has only completed 90 minutes twice this season so there must be known issues within the club about his fitness

I didn't know that first stat.

Is that definitely true? Quite remarkable if so.

1 hour ago, parajack said:

It's not that long ago that we had plenty of posts slating Moore for overlooking the 'obvious' pairing of Kamberi and Sow, then it was Paterson and Berahino who needed to start every game, which then morphed into Gregory plus one of the above.

And yet throughout that period, our form has been quite fantastic.

I know we fans like to analyse every decision, but we're only party to a fraction of the information that Moore has at his fingertips.

Perhaps, given both of these factors, we should acknowledge that Moore might know what he's doing to get this squad through to the end of the season in the best possible shape?

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I didn't know that first stat.

Is that definitely true? Quite remarkable if so.

Yes he’s been involved in 25 league games and scored 6 league goals this season which is more league football (and goals) from Berahino than in any season since 2015/16

• Thanks 1