Up Front

We demolished Cambridge with Gregory and Berahino up top, granted it was a poor Cambridge, but we played with natural strikers. NML is not a striker yet we're playing him there and it's leading to chances being wasted. Let him play out wide and create chances for strikers to score. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This is football - there are countless variables which might influence a result. As I say, correlation doesn't imply causation.

What have you seen in Paterson and Kamberi's games which makes you think they're better centre forwards then Gregory?

Gregory is a good player if you isolate all his attributes, never doubted that. But is it for the good of the team and for picking up points? 

Kamberi might not be half the player, but if he’s pressing down and more agile up top - forcing mistakes and creating space for the midfield to jump on - or if Paterson is being a nuisance and winning free kicks and headers in good positions, then maybe that’s why we’re picking up points with them in the team. 

Fact is, we have the same midfield now as we did in our best patch of the season and a very similar defence - Gregory is now leading the line instead of Pato/Kamberi, and our form has drifted. 

Something isn’t clicking entirely, is it his partner, is it him? Should it be Berahino and him? Should it be Pato/Kamberi and Berahino? It needs figuring out - because up top is the issue right now. 

10 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Gregory is a good player if you isolate all his attributes, never doubted that. But is it for the good of the team and for picking up points? 

Kamberi might not be half the player, but if he’s pressing down and more agile up top - forcing mistakes and creating space for the midfield to jump on - or if Paterson is being a nuisance and winning free kicks and headers in good positions, then maybe that’s why we’re picking up points with them in the team. 

Fact is, we have the same midfield now as we did in our best patch of the season and a very similar defence - Gregory is now leading the line instead of Pato/Kamberi, and our form has drifted. 

Something isn’t clicking entirely, is it his partner, is it him? Should it be Berahino and him? Should it be Pato/Kamberi and Berahino? It needs figuring out - because up top is the issue right now. 

Since Gregory returned from injury, we've averaged 2.2 points per game in the matches he's started. We played Bolton off the park yesterday and should have won that too, which would put us on 2.6 points per game in those matches.

As I said earlier, there are far too many variables and influences in a game of football to say that one player is making all the difference, but if you simply watch them play football, then Gregory is clearly a better centre forward on a more consistent basis than Kamberi or Paterson, to my eyes at least.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

NML is up front because he doesn’t want to have to decide between NML and Hunt. 

I think it's more to do with wanting some pace at the top of the pitch, personally.

Someone to latch onto through balls, push a defence backwards and create space between their backline and midfield for the likes of Bannan to exploit.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I think it's more to do with wanting some pace at the top of the pitch, personally.

Someone to latch onto through balls, push a defence backwards and create space between their backline and midfield for the likes of Bannan to exploit.

We don’t play through balls to our forwards, all our play comes from the width - which makes it even more bizarre to play NML up top, he’s got to play on the wing 

7 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

We don’t play through balls to our forwards, all our play comes from the width - which makes it even more bizarre to play NML up top, he’s got to play on the wing 

He's clearly more natural as a wingback, but I don't think he's 'got' to play there.

As I said, his pace at the top of the pitch can open up a lot of avenues for others to exploit, and a lot of our good play in recent games has come thanks to his inclusion. It may not be the first option I might go for, but then my understanding of football is nowhere near that of a professional manager's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

It’s not Gregory’s fault Moore plays NML alongside him . 

Exactly right.

Pair NML with any striker and his partner becomes isolated.

And the criminal thing is that NML is an outstanding player at this level. He must be scratching his head wondering why he’s up top.

I bet he’s contributed to this thread criticising Moore under the username @playmewideyoufool

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Exactly right.

Pair NML with any striker and his partner becomes isolated.

And the criminal thing is that NML is an outstanding player at this level. He must be scratching his head wondering why he’s up top.

I bet he’s contributed to this thread criticising Moore under the username @playmewideyoufool

exactly as NML drifts out wide . There’s no partnership with NML up top . With Berahino he has that understanding of where to be , the little flicks / the 1 2’s the hold up . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Let’s assume that’s Moore’s desire/plan.

Its not working is it?

3 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Stats can be really interesting things, can't they?

For example, our record when starting Mendez-Laing up front is:

Played: 5

Won: 3

Drawn: 1

Lost: 1

PPG: 2.00 (automatic promotion form)

:ph34r:

yes but how many of those has he finished the 90 mins ? + playing NML up top isnt exactly the worlds worst idea but it’s just not clicking 

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Let’s assume that’s Moore’s desire/plan.

Its not working is it?

Our form when he's started up top has been very good, as have our performances for the most part.

Having someone with pace up top forces defences backwards, which opens things up for others to exploit.

Unfortunately, the chances yesterday weren't put away. It happens. We've seen it happen plenty of times this season, regardless of who's playing up top.

I doubt it's a long-term plan, but it's hardly the worst idea a manager has come up with.

We had Gregory and Berahino up top for 38% of the game yesterday. That didn't work either, I'm afraid. Maybe next week it will; or maybe next week Mendez-Laing will rediscover his goalscoring touch?

Moore's the one who works with the players week in, week out; sees how they're doing in training; and has the kind of insight into their fitness, state of mind etc. that we can only guess at. He also knows a hell of a lot more about football than me. If he thinks Mendez-Laing was our best option to start yesterday's game, then fair enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Bar some wayward finishing (yes, from Mendez-Laing among others), we'd be looking at 4 wins from 5 when he's started up top.

16 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

I’m one of Gregory’s biggest fans - his reading of the game today was excellent and he runs the channels unbelievably for a bloke nearly in his mid 30’s. 

But, when we went on our best spell this year - he didn’t feature, who led the line and did that job  - Paterson and Kamberi - alongside Windass and Sow. 

I don't think that run of wins was particularly to do with Gregory. We're good at home and pants away, whether Gregory plays or not. When Gregory was injured it just so happened to coincide with a run of 6 out of 8 games at home and one of the away games was against the 2nd worst team in the league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Emerson Thome said:

I don't think that run of wins was particularly to do with Gregory. We're good at home and pants away, whether Gregory plays or not. When Gregory was injured it just so happened to coincide with a run of 6 out of 8 games at home and one of the away games was against the 2nd worst team in the league.

You see...

Correlation doesn't imply causation.

• Like 1

Cannot believe people are wanting Kamberi back in the side 

Personally I would have replaced Hunt with NML and put Paterson up top 

Our manager thought otherwise 

However it’s not what happened up front that cost us the game yesterday 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Our form when he's started up top has been very good, as have our performances for the most part.

Having someone with pace up top forces defences backwards, which opens things up for others to exploit.

Unfortunately, the chances yesterday weren't put away. It happens. We've seen it happen plenty of times this season, regardless of who's playing up top.

I doubt it's a long-term plan, but it's hardly the worst idea a manager has come up with.

We had Gregory and Berahino up top for 38% of the game yesterday. That didn't work either, I'm afraid. Maybe next week it will; or maybe next week Mendez-Laing will rediscover his goalscoring touch?

Moore's the one who works with the players week in, week out; sees how they're doing in training; and has the kind of insight into their fitness, state of mind etc. that we can only guess at. He also knows a hell of a lot more about football than me. If he thinks Mendez-Laing was our best option to start yesterday's game, then fair enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Bar some wayward finishing (yes, from Mendez-Laing among others), we'd be looking at 4 wins from 5 when he's started up top.

You are in a tiny minority on here and Twitter. Doesn’t mean you are wrong of course, but I think you are.

I hope this experiment (as it’s being called?) is binned and never seen again.