Fans: Disgusting Behaviour

2 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Football has always been like this.

What has changed is the demographics of a football crowd and perceived levels of entitlement.

The relationship between the increase in the number middle class supporters (as working class supporters get priced out of the game), and the number of complaints at football matches, is directly proportional. 

Middle class liberals dictating how others should speak, and behave, is nothing new, however there are now more of them about, and on the whole, they see themselves as setting the benchmark for all aspects of others' lives.

Naturally this only acts as a catalyst for incressed rebellious behaviour, so you could argue the middle class liberal supporter is to blame for the increase in rowdy behaviour at games.

Pretty insulting view of working class people to be honest. There is nothing about being working class that means that you are more prone to violence, illegal or anti-social behaviour or a lack of respect for others. In fact I would suggest that people from a working class background are more likely to respect their elders and look to protect more vulnerable supporters; not to be launching themselves at seniors or upsetting children.

What we are talking about is selfish idiots and they can come from any class or background. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

Pretty insulting view of working class people to be honest. There is nothing about being working class that means that you are more prone to violence, illegal or anti-social behaviour or a lack of respect for others. In fact I would suggest that people from a working class background are more likely to respect their elders and look to protect more vulnerable supporters; not to be launching themselves at seniors or upsetting children.

What we are talking about is selfish idiots and they can come from any class or background. 

It's the easter holidays so i'm guessing he's putting more time into his trolling.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, musingowl said:

Doesn't need 16 pages of debate here.

My brother nearly got hit by a flare Saturday, could have caused serious injury a few feet to the left.

On top of that, they look properly sh^te.

There's nobody who will defend football fans to ignorant comments more than me, but Saturday, along with over the course of the season, I'm struggling to articulate an argument.

Flares, fighting, shouting in families/ elderly supporters faces, lads getting their cocktail sausages out when there's kids present, racist bile.

Too much coke going up the noses of lads with too few brain cells.

And before I'm jumped on, yes I'm working class, yes I enjoy a good drink on a matchday, no I don't like a completely sanitised product. 

I've just got a low tolerance of c***s.

Also it's clearly not helping the atmosphere home or away, as it's as flat as I can recall it.

Exactly this. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

I've noticed a change in some fan behaviour where getting behind the team, chanting and making noise when things aren't perhaps going so well is less important than waiting for us to score and then doing the most outrageous celebration possible, invading the pitch or launching themselves down the gangway or into others, sometimes while filming on their phones. It's all very self-conscious and fake rather than being a natural reaction to us scoring. It's all about being able to post a video captioned 'limbs' than helping Wednesday to win. 

Each to their own unless it impacts on others and I think it is increasingly starting to do so. 

Have you seen the recent trend in doing this that's been jumped on by Leeds fans?

Basically if/when they score all the leeds fans lay down on their backs over the seats then take photos and then post it with the caption 'limbs' to make it look like they've all been celebrating so hard that they all fell over

it's so fake it makes you sick in your own mouth when you see em do it

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, TheGreatNebber said:

I've noticed a change in some fan behaviour where getting behind the team, chanting and making noise when things aren't perhaps going so well is less important than waiting for us to score and then doing the most outrageous celebration possible, invading the pitch or launching themselves down the gangway or into others, sometimes while filming on their phones. It's all very self-conscious and fake rather than being a natural reaction to us scoring. It's all about being able to post a video captioned 'limbs' than helping Wednesday to win. 

Each to their own unless it impacts on others and I think it is increasingly starting to do so. 

'Limbs', though.

:duntmatter:

It's up there with 'bants' as a 100% failsafe way of identifying someone as a knobhead.

Prefacing either with 'absolute' pushes the speaker into the territory of the, well, absolute knobhead.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Have you seen the recent trend in doing this that's been jumped on by Leeds fans?

Basically if/when they score all the leeds fans lay down on their backs over the seats then take photos and then post it with the caption 'limbs' to make it look like they've all been celebrating so hard that they all fell over

lol

The same fans who upload themselves going nuts in the concourse while holding a phone  and then are quiet during the game.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Just had a look on Twitter and yes, a bunch of sad try-hards

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

The same fans who upload themselves going nuts in the concourse while holding a phone  and then are quiet during the game.

I had a really eye-opening experience concerning social media recently.

I went on a night out for a colleague's leaving do and a couple of women I used to work with turned up. They were dressed to the nines, make-up and hair done immaculately, really looking to impress.

And then they spent an hour or so posing and taking photos of each other looking like they were having a wild time in various parts of the bar, cocktails in hand...and left.

It turns out they'd driven in to town, ordered a few non-alcoholic drinks, and taken the snaps for their social media accounts before heading home to their kids. They'd have been home by 10 o'clock at the latest.

And yet the photos and captions I saw on Facebook the next day appeared to show a wild girls' night out on the town.

I knew this kind of thing went on among celebrities and 'influencers', but not your average person. Each to their own, but it looked like a good way to ruin a decent night out to me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The coach said:

Football has allways been like this..thousands of fans descend on a town or city..a few skirmishes kick off...then everybody goes home and forgets about it...it dosnt really matter in the big scheme of things..in fact GMP have said there wer only about 4 arrests..all for public order offences...none for shoplifting by the way..I’m sure they would have took that b4 the game....we move on

That’s because you don’t get arrested, in fact the coppers don’t even come out, if you nick less than £100 worth of stuff

2 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

That’s because you don’t get arrested, in fact the coppers don’t even come out, if you nick less than £100 worth of stuff

Note to self..nick £99 of stuff at shops near stadium MK on satday..

• Haha 7

24 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

in fact the coppers don’t even come out, if you nick less than £100 worth of stuff

I wonder how true this is though

For instance - How do they know the value of what's been stolen until they come out and see what it is that got nicked?

Owlstalk Shop

I would be tempted to split away ends up where possible.  I Iove away games and go to more away than home nowadays as I live down south. It is a challenge at times with kids due to issues highlighted in this thread and of course kids struggling to see as ppl stand up . As often happens we end up swapping seats to go at the front as often other fans in our seats anyway and some at front usually spare.

In a perfect world you would split an away end down the middle for standing and sitting to cater for all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGreatNebber said:

Great post. Posted on a thread after one of our away games this season (maybe Sunderland) where I thought our 'support' - getting behind the team vocally rather than showing up in numbers - has dropped over the past few years. Best atmosphere I feel this season has either been Pompey or Cambridge, where we were under the cosh and we got behind the team. Donny was excellent but only after we equalised. As you say, people seem to spend more time with their phones out filming how amazing our support is to share online without actually getting behind the team.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TimoWerther said:

As you say, people seem to spend more time with their phones out filming how amazing our support is to share online without actually getting behind the team.

I don't quite think that's true

I think that's a perception and a handy thing to blame things on

But if you look around the crowd on a matchday whether home or away it's very rare you'll see any mobile phones - just the odd one

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

I would be tempted to split away ends up where possible.  I Iove away games and go to more away than home nowadays as I live down south. It is a challenge at times with kids due to issues highlighted in this thread and of course kids struggling to see as ppl stand up . As often happens we end up swapping seats to go at the front as often other fans in our seats anyway and some at front usually spare.

In a perfect world you would split an away end down the middle for standing and sitting to cater for all. 

This highlights one of the key problems at away games. ie There are no posh/quiet seats for away fans at most grounds. So supporters who at Hillsborough would prefer a 'South stand experience' are basically shoved into the away end with 'the lads'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't quite think that's true

I think that's a perception and a handy thing to blame things on

But if you look around the crowd on a matchday whether home or away it's very rare you'll see any mobile phones - just the odd one

Its different in the concourse though for some reason.

Although the phones in the stand thing is more common in PL as fans go to see superstars and there are more plastic fans.

These Norwich fans filming Ronaldos celebration though...

FGbUoFyXIAgBHdu.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Geedee said:

This highlights one of the key problems at away games. ie There are no posh/quiet seats for away fans at most grounds. So supporters who at Hillsborough would prefer a 'South stand experience' are basically shoved into the away end with 'the lads'.

posh = law abiding, not getting coked up and acting like a c¥nt 

posh also = they don’t sing and possibly live down south 

I wouldn’t say people in the south stand are posh. 

1 minute ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Its different in the concourse though for some reason.

Although the phones in the stand thing is more common in PL as fans go to see superstars and there are more plastic fans.

These Norwich fans filming Ronaldos celebration though...

FGbUoFyXIAgBHdu.jpeg

He’s probably a man utd fan to be honest. And we are talking about the best player for a generation; not a equaliser against someone like Doncaster in league one. People would go to a match just to see him.  

• Haha 1