NML as striker

I agree that NML is no striker and it seems DM is trying to shoehorn him into the team. Having said all that, most professional footballers would have scored those two chances, the first one especially. That miss was unbelievable and is up there with that Andy Booth miss against Stoke all those years ago.

49 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I don’t think he seems him as a striker any more than he saw Johnson as a LCB

Why?

When he played Johnson at LCB he had very little option.

At striker he’s using NML ahead of Berahino, Paterson, Kamberi and Sow.

Never a striker. He doesn’t have a strikers instinct. And by playing him up top we waste his best asset - running at defenders and causing havoc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Django said:

This can’t be allowed to happen again 

Problem with Moore is that he realises something isn’t working about 6 months after everyone else 

Not quite, he waits until the 60th minute like today in almost every soddin game. 
you can set your watch by it. 

1 hour ago, 0114 said:

It’s not for me. 

I feel for Paterson & Berahino

Paterson’s last start came against Gillingham away where he didn’t play so well. But prior to that he scored 4 goals in 5 games. Since Gills he was given 5 minutes playing time until today and even managed to provide the key assist last week during those 5 minutes split over 2 games. 

Berahino similar. Scored 3 against Cambridge and the following game at home to Accrington he doesn’t play aswell and subsequently hasn’t been given a start since. 

Where as NML as started 3 games upfront and contributed little. He’s a very good player out wide by is lacking through the middle. 

Seems 1 bad game can overshadow 4/5 decent games for some players. NML hasn’t deserved to start the last 3 games through the middle. 

4 games.

He’s started NML at striker the last 4 games he’s been fit. Rotherham was the first before his injury.

For whatever reason it does seem that DM sees him as our best partner for Gregory.

• Like 1

He’s not a striker. Strikers have some sort of composure in front of goal. NML has zero. His two misses today were shocking. His first one….ffs! You could actually feel his team mates thinking wtf?

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

4 games.

He’s started NML at striker the last 4 games he’s been fit. Rotherham was the first before his injury.

For whatever reason it does seem that DM sees him as our best partner for Gregory.

I’m not sure why either.

I like NML but his best work doesn’t come with his back to goal. 

Paterson & Berahino have just found their feet this season and are sacked off at half a chance. 

Gives off the impression Moore has his favourites. 

34 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Why?

When he played Johnson at LCB he had very little option.

At striker he’s using NML ahead of Berahino, Paterson, Kamberi and Sow.

Because there isn’t a jot of pace amongst the others, and that’s what he wants

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Because there isn’t a jot of pace amongst the others, and that’s what he wants

Not working though, is it?

Think of all the goals we’ve scored recently. Shed loads. 6,5,4,3…but in the 4 matches NML has started up top we’ve scored 3 goals while he’s been on the pitch

It makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

As much as I like NML , he isn’t a striker never been a striker . Still Moore cannot see this , for the past two games their has been masses of chances missed because of not having 2 propper strikers.

If Mendez laing is playing play him in his proper position . But I wouldn’t drop hunt 

Moral of the story not a striker .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not working though, is it?

Think of all the goals we’ve scored recently. Shed loads. 6,5,4,3…but in the 4 matches NML has started up top we’ve scored 3 goals while he’s been on the pitch

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Dude you thought Sow and Kamberi was the way to go

Then it was Paterson and Berahino

Then it was Gregory and Berahino

And anyway, if I recall our results correctly we’ve won 4:1, 2:1 and drawn 1:1 away at Bolton

Hardly a disaster that ‘isn’t working’

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

I don’t think he seems him as a striker any more than he saw Johnson as a LCB

Why pick him than in that position when he has other options?

Just now, parajack said:

Why pick him than in that position when he has other options?

Because his other options are slow AF

I personally don’t particularly want to see NML playing upfront but it’s very clear Moore feels that we can stretch the game and create chances that way

And we did, lots of chances. It wasn’t just NML that missed them. The Bannan miss at the end was v poor

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

And anyway, if I recall our results correctly we’ve won 4:1, 2:1 and drawn 1:1 away at Bolton

Perspective and context.other teams too have had good results putting pressure on us to keep winning to keep in the play offs........Dropping two points today in a match we could and should have won,see's us only in a play off place on GD

Any slip now  ...

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Because his other options are slow AF

I personally don’t particularly want to see NML playing upfront but it’s very clear Moore feels that we can stretch the game and create chances that way

And we did, lots of chances. It wasn’t just NML that missed them. The Bannan miss at the end was v poor

Why try and promote a 'maybe' when we have two other players who have goals in them and are on form?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SamSWFC56383 said:

As much as I like NML , he isn’t a striker never been a striker . Still Moore cannot see this , for the past two games their has been masses of chances missed because of not having 2 propper strikers.

If Mendez laing is playing play him in his proper position . But I wouldn’t drop hunt 

Moral of the story not a striker .

*If moore is playing him in his propper position*

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

Don't get into facts they are totally irrelevant.

6 hours ago, Django said:

This can’t be allowed to happen again 

Problem with Moore is that he realises something isn’t working about 6 months after everyone else 

That's it in a nutshell. 

NML was lolloping about all of the first half, spending his time basically getting in Johnson's way, not using his pace or power until the 45th minute. In the second half he was a complete waste of a shirt, nearly costing us a goal by giving it away stupidly before he went off. It was his crap pass that nearly cost us against Wimbledon as well. 

Berahino came on today and did nothing drastic, but he had a good touch and played the simple ball and we looked so much better immediately. Johnson also immediately improved. Infuriating.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

If Moore has decided our best partner for Gregory is NML we play in League 1 next season.

Simple as that. 

And, it looks like he has decided that.

Just another of a catalogue of bizarre decisions this season, with the squad we have should be auto promotion by a mile.

• Like 1

Some wide players can play up top comfortably . With NML he’s not one of those . He’s one of those who probably scores when it’s a half chance like cutting inside or when it just falls to him on the edge of the box . He’s all pace and power isn’t he really. I can see what Moore is trying to do a with him up top but we must act now and play Berahino. We’ve tried it with NML up top and it’s not working .