Colin Retires

I used to hate Warnock as a youngster, but really grew to respect him as he left United. Loved being the pantomime villain.

brought a lot of funny moments to the game and maybe second only to Brian Clough, has so many funny stories about him written up from ex players online. But it was more that he’s probably the most relatable Manager I’ve ever met - a proper Sheffielder and the stuff he would say always reminds me of being back at home when away. 

The documentary about him is pure gold - that five or so minutes against Millwall away (with the Muscat incident) is some of the best and funniest bit of any football documentary ever. 

• Like 2

He was on Soccer Saturday yesterday. Jeff asked him about his best memories, and he mentioned about his promotions.

Mentioned Plymouth, Cardiff, Notts County, QPR, Huddersfield.. took him about 5 minutes to mention United, and even that was just a separate story about the Forest play-off game. 

He doesn't give a hoot about them. A fact that's played its part in me warming to him over the years. 

Edited by sheffield_dave
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

He doesn't give a hoot about them. A fact that's played its part in me warming to him over the years. 

Think Wilder is the same tbh. 

They play it up at the time, but once they've moved on it's just another job. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Think Wilder is the same tbh. 

They play it up at the time, but once they've moved on it's just another job. 

Well they both left under a cloud, so it's not surprising. 

The difference is that Wilder created the cloud himself, and also isn't a "panto villain" - he's just a tw*t. Warnock at least has something about him. You can walk into any Blades pub and find a Chris Wilder. The bitterest bertie in the corner.

Warnock would have kept United up with the money Wilder got, and probably for a while. 

• Like 4

Always comes across as a thoroughly unpleasant type who chucks his toys out of the pram when he can't get his own way. I recall how he moaned at the then Wolves manager who sprinted on the pitch at the end of the game to celebrate with his players. Moaned about not having the decency to shake his hand first and said something about a lack of class or words to that effect.  

Has a good record as a manager, no frills and no scruples, win at all costs, if the game was managed by loads of warnocks wed all be watching rugby league.

Hes a character the media like to portray as forthright and outspoken, they think weve all forgot hes a cheat.

On 10/04/2022 at 05:33, vulva said:

Yeah right. 

Never fails to amaze me how many people fall for the character he tries to portray. 

True, 

I mean I dont hate the guy but in that game he cheated his own players and the fans that had turned up and paid good money.  That it was against an equally nasty piece of work and team in Megson and West Brom is by the by!.

I didn't like Warnock when he was United manager but  I quite like him now.

Doesn't try to be a bland modern manager like Southgate and Eddie Howe.

Yes you can list plenty of incidents that show him to be a bit of a fool and done things not really in the spirit of the game but think you can say that about every successful manger who has had a long career.

Think most of the hate on here is purely down to his connection with Dem Blavges.

A manager has just 3 objectives to fulfill.

1. Win trophies (these days the prerogative of a handful of elite clubs)

2. Win promotion 

3. Avoid relegation

Warnock has never been at a club with the resources to win trophies, but in categories 2 and 3 he is the most successful manager in the history of the game.

The only reason he didn't manage us was due to our fans own hatred of anything remotely connected to S2 and that more than likely cost us the chance of getting back to the EPL. 

We really are our own worst enemies. 

• Like 3