Colin Retires

I have always liked him.

When I was a kid I grew up in Sharrow and one Easter we were playing football and Warnock, who was manager of Notts County at the time, just strolled up and started chatting to us. County were playing the pigs the following day. He said he was seeing some family who lived nearby, he then went back to the house and came back with some autographs for us. The next day me and brother decided to go and see the match, we went into the away end paid with a tenner and the bloke gave us change for a 20. Result.

• Like 5

Former Middlesbrough, Sheffield United and QPR boss Neil Warnock has announced his retirement from management.

The 73-year-old left his most recent job at Championship side Boro in November and has had a career spanning 41 years across 16 different clubs.

Warnock holds the record for promotions in English football with eight, notably taking his boyhood club Sheffield United into the Premier League in 2006.

In announcing the decision, he told Sky Sports: "I decided to have a rest."

Warnock had an 11-year playing career as a winger with clubs including Rotherham United, Barnsley and Crewe Alexandra, before retiring from on-pitch duties at the age of 30.

He landed his first full-time managerial role with Northern Premier League side Gainsborough Trinity in 1981.

Warnock also took Cardiff to the top flight in 2018 as part of a spell that featured the tragic disappearance and death of Emiliano Sala, which Warnock described as his "worst week in football".

Would've loved to have seen him in the PL for one more season raging. 

Responsible for some of the biggest shithousery moments in football during his time in the game, bit past his time now, but fair to say he did ok for someone without vast resources at his disposal. 

WIll always be the panto villain, but he did make me smile at times. 

1 hour ago, BridportOwl said:

He didn't break any rules, all within the laws of the game.

I have always been a bit skeptical of the Megson theory that Warnock tried to get the game called off. Michael Brown was out injured for the rest of the season after coming off and two of the lads who

got red cards never played for the club again.