Brian Hornsby 1978/79 Season.

9 hours ago, Watto said:

Thanks for that 

What a fantastic shirt that was 

53 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

My younger brother got this shirt for his birthday. I got a calculator for mine. He used to let me wear it if I let him use my calculator. The shirt was too small for me but I’d still squeeze myself in to it. Happy days!

Yes an iconic shirt. Wish our current away shirt was like that rather than the awful pink one.

image.png.6e801502e79da9f75b7263df538d65f0.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Southend at home, he was out out by the north stand corner flag about 6 yards in, whipped in a vicious  cross / shot, straight over the keeper and into the net, he had that touch of audacity about his game, where hed try the unthinkable at times, he was a top division player, playing way below his level, but not everyone else was on his level, hed thread through balls through congested areas with a vision way above his teamates, he was a player on another level at times

18 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

That goal at Rotherham is the one that sticks in my mind the most.

I’m hoping it’s later down this thread, but I’ve been looking for that goal for years on YouTube etc. 

17 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Some iffy hair styles here from the match day programme v West Ham United on Saturday 25th April 1981 although the record books say that game was played on May 8th. Someone may know why this is the case.or maybe  I'm reading it wrong. That said the match day programme covers for the Derby County match on 7th March and the West Ham game are the same.

IMG_20220408_142430 (500x493).jpg

For some reason the West Ham game was played on a Friday night I do believe (I walked home with Jonathan Page and his sister Amanda after the game, I recall for some reason. Hi both if you’re reading).
I was on the Kop. Wednesday lost 1-0. West Ham had Trevor Brooking in the team. They’d won the FA cup in 1980 and won the second division that 1980-81 season. The photo above is after Andy Mac’s hatrick against Cambridge (won 4-1). 
I may be wrong but I think the Cambridge game featured on the Big Game that night and Andy Mac was interviewed that evening by YTV. Great memories and a great thread. 
Brian Hornsby was a very good player and who can forget his celebration with TC in front of the Blunts on Boxing Day ‘79? 

• Love 1

17 hours ago, wilfsmith said:

From Woolwich Arsenal blog. 

Brian Hornsby was born 10 September 1954, in Cambridgeshire.  He came up through local football at Peterborough, and got caps at schoolboy and youth level for England.

Brian joined Arsenal as soon as he left school, in 1970, and was part of the Youth Cup winning team in 1971.  Their achievement was of course a little overshadowed by the FA Cup and League double, but it was very much (for those of us into such things) a treble, and the success of the youth team made many of us hope that Arsenal’s bright future under Bertie Mee and co would continue for a decade or two.

In September 1971 he signed professional forms and made his first team debut on 9 May 1973 in the last game of the season.  The season was over by then, and Arsenal were second, and the side put out was not the strongest – Arsenal lost 6-1.

In 1973/4 Brian made six first team starts and 3 appearances as a sub, scoring three goals in the attacking midfield role.  1974/5 gave him 12 starts and three more goals, and then in 1975/6 it was four starts – and that was that.

He was released by Arsenal when Bertie Mee resigned as manager, and he signed for Shrewsbury Town in May 1976 for £40,000.

At this lower level of football not surprisingly, things were very different and he instantly shone, playing 75 games for Shrewsbury over two before being signed by Jack Charlton at Sheffield Wednesday for £45,000.

The story is told that the always very odd Jack Charlton took his Wednesday team to Shrewsbury just before the transfer, and he told the Wednesday player Jeff Johnson “You’re up against the lad Hornsby, he’s a very skilful player … I’m buying him to replace you”.

By 1978/9 Brian was top scorer for Wednesday and played in the FA cup matches against Arsenal including the game on 15 January 1979 – the second replay, played at Leicester.  

The Arsenal team on the day was 

Jennings, Rice, Nelson, Price, O’Leary, Young, Brady, Sunderland, Stapleton, Gatting, Rix

with Brady and Sunderland getting the goals.

Brian Hornsby, who scored a penalty for Wednesday, was naturally interviewed by the press about his old and new clubs, operating two divisions apart.  He declared there was nothing between them, while philosophising that as Arsenal had tried three different formations in taking on Wednesday and trying to win the tie, they would now be far more worried than Wednesday who always play the same way.  Ultimately in the fourth replay Arsenal prevailed 2-0 and went on to win the cup.

In October 1980 Brian suffered a hamstring injury and that injury marked the start of the decline in his career.  He played briefly in Canada, and played for Carlisle and Chesterfield before playing for IK Brage in Sweden, and then Falu FK as player-manager.

Finally back in England he finished his career with Spalding Utd and Holbeach Utd.  

With those stats, it seems strange he wasn't given more games by Arsenal, although they had a very good side in those days. He was far too good for the third division. 

Guest Andy W
21 hours ago, Pulcinella said:

You can tell it was before my time - I read it as Bruce Hornsby 

What a range HE had

16 minutes ago, Cockers said:

For some reason the West Ham game was played on a Friday night I do believe (I walked home with Jonathan Page and his sister Amanda after the game, I recall for some reason. Hi both if you’re reading).
I was on the Kop. Wednesday lost 1-0. West Ham had Trevor Brooking in the team. They’d won the FA cup in 1980 and won the second division that 1980-81 season. The photo above is after Andy Mac’s hatrick against Cambridge (won 4-1). 
I may be wrong but I think the Cambridge game featured on the Big Game that night and Andy Mac was interviewed that evening by YTV. Great memories and a great thread. 
Brian Hornsby was a very good player and who can forget his celebration with TC in front of the Blunts on Boxing Day ‘79? 

Thanks for that and you are right as May 8th 1981 was a Friday. This is the programme front  cover with the teams on the back cover. As you say Trevor Brooking is listed and they are given the title "Champions" as they already won the league by then. We finished a respectable 10th  in our first season after promotion from the old League Division Three.

The programme is looking a bit jaded now but it is over forty years ago. A fascinating thread this bringing back loads of memories.

IMG_20220409_090637 (392x400).jpg

IMG_20220409_090646 (211x500).jpg

• Like 1

Good article on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Hornsby . whoever wrote that must know his stuff (;  Seem to remember he lived at Stannington. Remember him being interviewed on local radio when they signed him; "Oh I'll get goals from midfield", and he was as good as his word. But what a fall from grace after the hamstring injury.

3 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Thanks for that and you are right as May 8th 1981 was a Friday. This is the programme front  cover with the teams on the back cover. As you say Trevor Brooking is listed and they are given the title "Champions" as they already won the league by then. We finished a respectable 10th  in our first season after promotion from the old League Division Three.

The programme is looking a bit jaded now but it is over forty years ago. A fascinating thread this bringing back loads of memories.

IMG_20220409_090637 (392x400).jpg

IMG_20220409_090646 (211x500).jpg

That does bring back great memories. The shape of that season’s programme. I think the front cover of the West Ham programme is Kevin Taylor in action against Swansea City. If you have the Swansea programme would you check whether their number 4 (as on the front cover) is one Dave Rushbury. That would be odd given his perm has already featured on this thread. 
(Five of us on the way in the car to Bolton - we are not living totally in the past)  😂

46 minutes ago, Cockers said:

That does bring back great memories. The shape of that season’s programme. I think the front cover of the West Ham programme is Kevin Taylor in action against Swansea City. If you have the Swansea programme would you check whether their number 4 (as on the front cover) is one Dave Rushbury. That would be odd given his perm has already featured on this thread. 
(Five of us on the way in the car to Bolton - we are not living totally in the past)  😂

This is the Swansea programme I have....???

IMG_20220409_133310 (493x500).jpg

17 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

This is the Swansea programme I have....???

IMG_20220409_133310 (493x500).jpg

That game was shown in YTVs The big game. I was actually on tv a small kid. I can’t find the goals for this game anywhere. I think a lot of these games are either locked in vaults or have been deleted. 
I wonder if SWFC have copies of these games? Doubt it but it might be worth an email.

Edited by sexpistol

12 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

That game was shown in YTVs The big game. I was actually on tv a small kid. I can’t find the goals for this game anywhere. I think a lot of these games are either locked in vaults or have been deleted. 
I wonder if SWFC have copies of these games? Doubt it but it might be worth an email.

Spot on mate,this from the match day programme.

IMG_20220409_140744 (450x200).jpg

2 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

Dave Rushbury not listed to play in the programme line ups but is on the Swansea team photo inside it.

IMG_20220409_143002.jpg

IMG_20220409_142932 (210x450).jpg

Thanks mate. Thank you for the research. They were great times. I reckon he was their number 4 that day (before designated squad numbers). Certainly had the haircut. But then they all did. 

• Like 1