Brian Hornsby 1978/79 Season.

4 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Scored 21 goals in all competitions,  even though we finished 17th.

I was 10 years old that season, obsessed with SWFC as only a 10 yeard old can be, but it's only now looking through some old records that I see how profilic he was.

17 in the league for a winger . That would be outstanding these days.

Rodger Wylde scored 14 in the league as well I think. 

Not sure what the point of this thread is but I'm sure it will make some posters cast their memories back to another 3rd tier era 😁

Remember singing "thank you very much for Brian Hornsby" at Shrewsbury away

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ibbo48 said:

It was the time when it was all starting to come together, wasn’t it ?

Jeff Johnson rough housed them and  Brian Hornsby supplied the silky skills.

I’d forgotten how many big lads we had , even without the monster hairdos.

Jeff Johnson got sent off v Mansfield  that season

• Thanks 1

Cracking player Brian Hornsby..........................scored some belters , it`s a pity that there is none of that old footage available from the Yorkshire TV sunday dinner programme.

There was always added excitement if you turned up on matchday at Hillsborough and saw the TV trucks , I remember my Dad used to say "your mum will be happy , I will be home in time for my sunday dinner"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pastor Kidneys said:

Loved that volley straight into the top corner at Millmoor.

".............down for Hornsbéeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"

Highlights were on YTV on sunday. Martin Tyler was the commentator. We recorded it on a cassette recorder and played that bit of commentary over and over again. The tv footage must be about somewhere. Id love to see it again

• Like 2

3 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Some iffy hair styles here from the match day programme v West Ham United on Saturday 25th April 1981 although the record books say that game was played on May 8th. Someone may know why this is the case.or maybe  I'm reading it wrong. That said the match day programme covers for the Derby County match on 7th March and the West Ham game are the same.

IMG_20220408_142430 (500x493).jpg

From what I remember   that season  they only changed the cover of the programme every  4 games

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, panda800 said:

From what I remember   that season  they only changed the cover of the programme every  4 games

Thanks for that mate if just intrigued me when digging out some old programmes this afternoon. 

Still one of my favourite Wednesday players ever.  I’d have been 8 when we signed him.   Tommy Craig had gone by the time I started going so he was the first real flair player I saw.

I remember him scoring from miles out against Hull in the last game of the 78/79 season in the game when Mel Sterland scored his first goal for us.  He was basically a breath of fresh air and way too good to be plying his trade for a mid table third division team.

He was so good that he had a poster one week in Roy of the Rovers, unheard of for a Division Three player.  I think he was also featured in Shoot’s “Profile on” page where footballers answered inane questions on their personal lives which invariably involved identifying George Benson as their favourite Recording Artist (honourable mention to Garry Thompson who I always remember liked The Jam) and Steak and Chips as their favourite meal.

As mentioned above, Brian picked up a hamstring injury and his replacement was Gary Megson who Big Jack signed in the summer of 81.

According to Wikipedia, Brian is big mates with Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet.  To cut a long story short I think it’s true to say he’ll always be gold for Owls of my age.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Great player, one of my favourites at the time when Big Jack had put a great side together.

I particularly remember this goal at Brentford in our promotion season 79/80. I was stood right behind it on the open end as it flew into the top corner. The goal is from 6.10.

My younger brother got this shirt for his birthday. I got a calculator for mine. He used to let me wear it if I let him use my calculator. The shirt was too small for me but I’d still squeeze myself in to it. Happy days!

• Like 1
  • Love 1