4 of 6 Away

Our away form is a concern and I expect us to lose a couple of the remaining games - probably MK Dons and possibly Bolton.

If we win our2 home games plus one of the away games - Fleetwood most likely - that takes up to 81 which should be enough for 6th place.

Teams will take points off each other eg Oxford v Sunderland coming up which, at the risk of stating the obvious, helps our cause.

if we make it in to the play offs we'll have to play plymouth who have kept 7 clean sheets in 8, or mk dons who have been in unreal form of late. 

If we get promoted this season, it will have been a very difficult task!

13 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I think we might get another 9 points which will leave us perilously close 

As far as I can find out no team has ever achieved 80 plus points and not made the playoffs.

Wouldn't it just be the Wednesday way to break that record lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, duncanidaho said:

It's not just picking up the points that's crucial, it's where they come from. The Wycombe match is huge, a draw at least could knock one of the chasing teams away from us

Yep the Wycombe game is definitely a 'must not lose' game

• Like 1

Since Christmas here’s our away form

Sunderland 0-5

Shrewsbury 0-1

Oxford 2-3

Burton 2-0

Doncaster 3-1

Lincoln 1-3

Gillingham 0-0

P7. W2. D1. L4. GF8. GA13 - one point per game. 

That said, our form after Oxford is very good. 7 points from 4 aways is great. And that’s when we found the Byers-Bannan-Luongo middle and were able to move Johnson to WB from CB.

It would get scary and leave us needing to beat Portsmouth on the last day, but one point per away game gets us in the play-offs (if we beat Portsmouth and surely surely we’ll beat Crewe at home).

One win and a couple of draws from these 4 aways would be enough. I think 80 points almost certainly gets 6th.

Edited by Holmowl

5 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

As far as I can find out no team has ever achieved 80 plus points and not made the playoffs.

Wouldn't it just be the Wednesday way to break that record lol

I think since the premier league/EFL split and start of 46 game seasons with play offs it has only happened twice.

Tranmere finished in 7th with 80 points in league one 2003/04 and Bristol R. also finished 7th in 1999/2000 with 80.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Since Christmas here’s our away form

Sunderland 0-5

Shrewsbury 0-1

Oxford 2-3

Burton 2-0

Doncaster 3-1

Lincoln 1-3

Gillingham 0-0

P7. W2. D1. L4. GF8. GA13 - one point per game. 

That said, our form after Oxford is very good. 7 points from 4 aways is great. And that’s when we found the Byers-Bannan-Luongo middle and were able to move Johnson to WB from CB.

It would get scary and leave us needing to beat Portsmouth on the last day, but one point per away game gets us in the play-offs (if we beat Portsmouth and surely surely we’ll beat Crewe at home).

One win and a couple of draws from these 4 aways would be enough. I think 80 points almost certainly gets 6th.

Sunderland we had one centre back in line up (Dunkley) - he went off injured half way through first half.

shrewsbury and Oxford we had one centre back in the team.

Now we’ve got three proper central defenders with our midfield in front of them - there is no reason to think we’ll continue to be pushovers away from home.

• Like 2

Bolton have a home game with Portsmouth on Tuesday whilst we don't play till Saturday. Got to be an advantage and every little helps. Another plus is that Bolton are mid table whereas games against teams fighting relegation can often be tricky at this time of the season.

If we can get at least 5 points in our away games, win 1,draw 2 and lose 1. Providing the loss isn't against Wycombe, that should do. 

Beat Crewe at home and that would put us on 80 points before we play Portsmouth in the last game. Hopefully that will be enough to confirm us a play off place and that game won't matter.