4 of 6 Away

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I don't think a defeat for either team in the Oxford v Sunderland game will rule the losing team out

It' complcated by Oxford playing Morecambe on Tuesday, but presuming they win that, if they lose on Saturday, then they'll be on 72 points with 4 to play including Rotherham A and MK Dons H - can see them 'only' getting to 78 points.

But as you say lots of twists and turns ahead.

6 minutes ago, trev said:

We only just beat Wimbledon with a 92nd min winner.

I'm done trying to predict anything lol.

We made hard work of it, but then they are a team fighting for their lives with a new manager. 

Frustration was we should have made it 2, missed a sitter, and then gave away a terrible equaliser. 

It's very inconsistent away from home but 5k fans at Bolton and MK could massively help. 

Looking at the table I think the minimum we could do is win 2 draw 2 lose 2 and still hold a hope of top 6. 

That would mean us at 80 pts

Sunderland would have to win 3 draw 1 and overturn a 4 goal difference

Wycombe and Oxford would have to win 4, or Oxford 3 wins and 2 draws (with superior goal difference you would expect).

It's gonna be tense but 3 wins and 1 draw, 82 pts, I think would see us in.

5 hours ago, paulrs said:

I’d be nervously looking over my shoulder if we only manage 9 more points.

I was thinking as well that if we’d beaten Rotherham at home - which we really should’ve done - we’d be 4 pts off automatic.

Its irrelevant really but the realisation annoyed me!

Not to mention the staggering amount of late goal conceded in the first half of the season! It would be unbearabley annoying to miss out considering all of this!!!!!

Edited by briggowl

4 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Not to mention the staggering amount of late goal conceded in the first half of the season! It would be unbearabley annoying to miss out considering all of this!!!!!

It really does just show how they all add up in the end. But no point dwelling on it now. 

Whether some believe it or not, we’re a difficult side to beat. Even though our away record is not the best, we’ve lost 6 out of 19 games. I don’t see any reason why we can’t pick up points in 3 of the remaining 4 away games at least. I always felt we’d get stronger as the season went, we arguably have?

• Like 1

Given the support that will be going to the away games the players ought to be able to respond and get wins at Bolton and Fleetwood, MK Dons will be an open game and a point is not out of the question there. I think these players now understand the job they have to do and Bannan is certainly fired up for it. He’s a much better captain when we are winning then when things go badly and he starts his whinging. Also think Dean, Hutchinson and Hunt are setting great examples of commitment at the moment.

I believe (hope) 9 points will be enough. It does worry me massively that we have four away games given how hard we have found it to put average teams to the sword away from home. Every permutation I look at probably leaves us with us having to win our last game to be certain of top six. But thank god we won on Saturday, otherwise we could have been right in the brown stuff! 
At least it’s all in our own hands and our rival have run ins where they play each other. Plymouth play Wycombe, Sunderland, Wigan and MK Dons as their last four games! Imagine us having that lot! 

17 hours ago, paulrs said:

It’s asking a lot for Plymouth, Sunderland, Oxford and Wycombe all to keep winning for the rest of the season. I expect a few slip ups or teams taking points off each other and 82pts being enough (which is still remarkably high). 

so W3 D1 L2 might just do it for us. 

Although I don’t think Bolton, MK and Wycombe are going to go tight defensively playing against us at home. There’ll be a lot of onus on them all to attack.

If we maintain the 2 pts per game we’ve been at since November we’ll be fine. 

82 points,totally agree..