If there was no booze would you go to games?

5 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Seems a really strange concept to go to games just for drinking!?

Doesn't it?

Not really..I find it stranger if I’d drove all way down to gillingham ..watched the game..and drove all way home..our coach on the way home was a right laugh..everybody drink in and having fun..and Rochester b4 was a good pub crawl..I find it strange people who go to football and not drink...but each to their own

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The coach said:

Not really..I find it stranger if I’d drove all way down to gillingham ..watched the game..and drove all way home..our coach on the way home was a right laugh..everybody drink in and having fun..and Rochester b4 was a good pub crawl..I find it strange people who go to football and not drink...but each to their own

As you say, each to there own!!

29 minutes ago, briggowl said:

Seems a really strange concept to go to games just for drinking!?

Doesn't it?

A lot of people see match days as a social event, a chance to catch up with their mates. Not everyone goes straight to the match and then goes home afterwards.

Each to their own.

15 hours ago, Whitecap Owl said:

What truly amazes me is the fact that at VWFC games they sell you a can of beer for anywhere between $10 and $12 - with a straight face...   People do seem to have several empty cans rolling around under their seats so they must definitely be nuts or independently wealthy....    My wife and I don't drink at games because we have to drive back home afterwards...

what they charge in usa and canada in general for booze ,food,eating out is unreal its double the uk price. 

12 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

A lot of people see match days as a social event, a chance to catch up with their mates. Not everyone goes straight to the match and then goes home afterwards.

Each to their own.

exactly , for most people just the game itself is just part of the day ,meeting people/friends having a drink, eating out ,maybe even visiting friends/family pre or after game and even having a wonder pre game ie morecambe oxford london games ,manchester pre crewe,bolton etc . i really have enjoyed this season and wont be getting too upset if we didnt go up , as long as the team gives it a good go i cant ask for more. couldnt say that 2-3 years ago that was horrid 

• Like 1

Haven’t had a drink at or before a match since I was in my late 20’s when me and my brother in law got our heads kicked in because we’d wandered too far from our fellow Owls in our merry state, chanting Wednesday songs near New Street station in Brum. 

Tbf though, I rarely if ever drank in the ground anyway. Hate being one of those weak bladdered types getting up to go to the bogs multiple times a match

• Like 1

Think this is a very strange question. Are you questioning whether there should be a ban on football grounds or a nationwide 'prohibition'?

I remember in my youth, many , many years ago, when Hillsborough did not serve alcohol in the ground. You could drink before the game , , before the end of closing time - usually 3pm, and after the game , from 6.00 'til 10 pm.(or 10.30 on a Sat) For awaygames, drinking was allowed on the coaches . It is mow prohibited! .Everyone accepted the Drink restrictions, and still got their share of ale down them. I know I did Rowdiness and joviality were present, both before and after the games, and many happy hours were spent

Because of the Licensing Laws, there was a ban on serving alcohol anywhere between 5 * 6 anyway. Funnily enough, the demise of the local seemed to coincide with the all=hours drinking nowadays

Why do people who don't drink at the games presume you'll be 'bladdered' just because you drink. Is it because they can't hold their alcohol and would be on the pitch swinging at the opposition players? I think it is. 

Edited by TheEnchanter

16 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Think this is a very strange question. Are you questioning whether there should be a ban on football grounds or a nationwide 'prohibition'?

I remember in my youth, many , many years ago, when Hillsborough did not serve alcohol in the ground. You could drink before the game , , before the end of closing time - usually 3pm, and after the game , from 6.00 'til 10 pm.(or 10.30 on a Sat) For awaygames, drinking was allowed on the coaches . It is mow prohibited! .Everyone accepted the Drink restrictions, and still got their share of ale down them. I know I did Rowdiness and joviality were present, both before and after the games, and many happy hours were spent

Because of the Licensing Laws, there was a ban on serving alcohol anywhere between 5 * 6 anyway. Funnily enough, the demise of the local seemed to coincide with the all=hours drinking nowadays

No its more of a general question since some people are more interested in a ******** up than watching the game. So do those people still go if theres no booze.

Im in the camp of a few beers pre game and not getting hammered. I would miss having those pints myself but ultimately love watching Wednesday and can go without.

But have seen people say they only go for meeting up with folk and have their passion fof Wednesday has fallen away. So do they still go.

I just thought it would start a bit of discussion.