2022 World Cup draw

42 minutes ago, Pablo Bonvin said:

I sometimes wonder why Israel are in the European qualifiers, as Asia would be easier.

But that might be a daft thought as they’d probably not be very welcome playing their qualifiers in many Asian countries so I’ve probably answered my own question.

Israel is definitely political, but they are geographically close to Europe anyway. Its Kazakhstan being in European qualifiers that puzzles me, much of the country is further east than Iran and as far east as India, and it has a border with China (as has Russia of course but it at least borders most of eastern Europe). You'd think Kazakhstan might have a chance of actually qualifying if they played in Asia as well, but maybe they're happy just to get a few trips to and from the European big boys in the qualifiers.

11 hours ago, alanharper said:

Didn't want Australia to qualify, cheeky gets suddenly deciding that they they're Asian and switching qualifying regions to get an easier shot - which still almost backfired as they ended up in the playoff. You can't just change geography to suit you, but of course FIFA being the fine moral organisation that they are allowed them to do it, thus denying an actual Asian country the opportunity to qualify. Maybe Scotland should try it to give themselves a chance of qualifying - actually no don't bother, what's the point!

Costa Rica v New Zealand tonight for the final place. Remember being impressed by Costa Rica in 2014 when they won the group that they were expected to be the whipping boys in

We’re Australia and we do what we want. Asian for football. European for poxy little music contests.

But changing geography? Australia is physically closer to Indonesia than it is New Zealand, neither of which are geographically part of the same continent as Australia. We’re supposed to just play with ourselves?

I reckon if Australia were still part of the OFC people would bang on about how easy our qualification was after we put out 2nd string teams and win games 31-0.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, R-Sole14 said:

We’re Australia and we do what we want. Asian for football. European for poxy little music contests.

But changing geography? Australia is physically closer to Indonesia than it is New Zealand, neither of which are geographically part of the same continent as Australia. We’re supposed to just play with ourselves?

I reckon if Australia were still part of the OFC people would bang on about how easy our qualification was after we put out 2nd string teams and win games 31-0.

Tbf I agree with the move, Australia need to be playing more competitive football. 

The qualification is harder in Asia. We're you are up against South Korea and Japan for starters.

You can knackers on the Eurovision song contest though.

28 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Tbf I agree with the move, Australia need to be playing more competitive football. 

The qualification is harder in Asia. We're you are up against South Korea and Japan for starters.

You can knackers on the Eurovision song contest though.

Asia is easier because there are direct places, but it is far more competitive. For the 02 World Cup Australia won all its 6 Oceania qualifying matches, scoring 72 goals and conceding 1. Then had to play Uruguay over two legs to qualify. It was a ridiculous situation.

37 minutes ago, R-Sole14 said:

Asia is easier because there are direct places, but it is far more competitive. For the 02 World Cup Australia won all its 6 Oceania qualifying matches, scoring 72 goals and conceding 1. Then had to play Uruguay over two legs to qualify. It was a ridiculous situation.

Yeah I totally agree. The Oceania group won't develop Australian football either the direct place missing from the group will always hinder the group imho.

I'd actually take New Zealand out the group and put them in Asia as well. 

Plus more interest will be generated with more games against more competitive nations, that require Australia's top players.

Australia are far better off, playing in a better competition with a direct route to qualification playing against the best/better regularly, is far better than battering Samoa with your third team.

I was discussing this with my lads club owner on Monday. Says Australia has everything to be able to step up and develop into a decent football nation. But key aspects are still missing right now.

Edited by Maddogbob