2022 World Cup draw

On 04/04/2022 at 11:45, duncanidaho said:

Oh dear, the England draw will only feed the 'It's coming home' brigade....

In 2010 we could only scrape a draw against the USA and in the Euro's we held Scotland to 0-0.   Hopefully we can beat Iran well and hope goal difference and results go in our favour...

Nearly as relevant as when they beat England in 1950.

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Nearly as relevant as when they beat England in 1950.

The relevance isn't in the dates, it's in the belief people have every time we are in a competition, especially with a weak draw.  

Look at the tournaments this century, and see how we have done.  And every time it's coming home, golden generation, world class players etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duncanidaho said:

The relevance isn't in the dates, it's in the belief people have every time we are in a competition, especially with a weak draw.  

Look at the tournaments this century, and see how we have done.  And every time it's coming home, golden generation, world class players etc.

You been asleep for the past 4 years? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

You been asleep for the past 4 years? 

Why what's happened?

Two tournaments with kind draws. 

2018 got beat when we played anyone decent.

2021 struggled against Scotland in the group and two 1-0 wins.  Needed a dodgy penalty to beat Denmark.

Only Harry Kane made the official team of the tournament in 2018

And kyle walker, harry maguire (having a laugh) and raheem sterling made it in 2021. 

how many of our players would be mentioned in a world XI?

England are a good side but in the tier below the top sides, and have been for a while

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, duncanidaho said:

England are a good side but in the tier below the top sides, and have been for a while

No i just think recently there isnt a great side all the way through a starting XI, such as Spain 2010 or France 2018. Every top nation at the moment has a weakness. But at the moment England are one of the favourites. Top sides at the moment are France, England, Belgium and Denmark i would say. I dont think South American sides have a chance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flo said:

No i just think recently there isnt a great side all the way through a starting XI, such as Spain 2010 or France 2018. Every top nation at the moment has a weakness. But at the moment England are one of the favourites. Top sides at the moment are France, England, Belgium and Denmark i would say. I dont think South American sides have a chance. 

European sides have only won twiceoutside of europe, 

Spain 2010 in South Africa and Germany 2014 in Brazil.

A european team has won the last 4 tournaments, but the climate could really play a part in Qatar.

I wouldn't put England in the top tier of favourites...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, duncanidaho said:

European sides have only won twiceoutside of europe, 

Spain 2010 in South Africa and Germany 2014 in Brazil.

A european team has won the last 4 tournaments, but the climate could really play a part in Qatar.

I wouldn't put England in the top tier of favourites...

in terms of tempeeature it isnt too different in december in qatar compared to Russian Summer or German Summer or Brazil

7 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

Why what's happened?

Two tournaments with kind draws

2018 got beat when we played anyone decent.

2021 struggled against Scotland in the group and two 1-0 wins.  Needed a dodgy penalty to beat Denmark.

Only Harry Kane made the official team of the tournament in 2018

And kyle walker, harry maguire (having a laugh) and raheem sterling made it in 2021. 

how many of our players would be mentioned in a world XI?

Which your saying is when we underperform? 

So we 'only' beat teams 1-0? So we shouldn't be among the favourite despite finishing 4th and 2nd the last 2 tournaments.... OK then 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Which your saying is when we underperform? 

So we 'only' beat teams 1-0? So we shouldn't be among the favourite despite finishing 4th and 2nd the last 2 tournaments.... OK then 

Were Greece favourites after they won the euro's?  Were Croatia among the favourites after finishing runner up?

I think England will regress to the mean next tournament, i really hope they don't and can somehow find the consistent performances to actually win

• Like 1

I think we'll get to the quarters where I exoect France to beat us, but Its not crazy to think we are one of a handful who could win it. 

England being England we could also mess the group up. The beauty of football, but I think citing things from 2010 etc yet ignoring much more recent form with current players is naiive

On 08/04/2022 at 07:41, Screen Door Slams said:

Amazing isn`t it.................when fans of other countries get excited about a tournament they are "passionate"..........when England fans get excited they are "arrogant"

Yep. Take last year's Euros as an example, once England had qualified from the group.

England fans: The draw's opened up. It looks like a fairly easy route to the final. We could actually get to the final!

Xenophobic England haters: Look at how arrogant the England fans are. They actually think they can get to the final! I can't stand them. *spit*

England get to the final.

England fans: This is great! We've done really well and have made it to the final!

Xenophobic England haters: Yeah, but look how easy your route to the final has been...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Wales it is then in our group. 

Play like we did last night and they will beat us. 

And if they play as they did tonight at the same time then it'll be the worst game in the history of the world cup

Wales were utterly dreadful

Quite drunk, so delighted for Wales. Hennessy and Davies were immense tonight. Never thought I would see Wales in a WC in my lifetime, they have done so well with limited resources and a team that is made up of players who rarely get first team football with their club sides.  The difference between this Welsh squad and that of earlier years is that all of them are so desperate to play for their country, I  might be wrong but I don't think Giggs hardly ever played for Wales in a friendly. This will be huge for Wales and for Welsh football, there are something like 8 or 10 ex-internationals now playing in the Cymru Premier. I just hope the FAW do not fizz up the money that they will get from qualifying.  For a nation of 3 million to qualify is such an incredible achievement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BridportOwl said:

Quite drunk, so delighted for Wales. Hennessy and Davies were immense tonight. Never thought I would see Wales in a WC in my lifetime, they have done so well with limited resources and a team that is made up of players who rarely get first team football with their club sides.  The difference between this Welsh squad and that of earlier years is that all of them are so desperate to play for their country, I  might be wrong but I don't think Giggs hardly ever played for Wales in a friendly. This will be huge for Wales and for Welsh football, there are something like 8 or 10 ex-internationals now playing in the Cymru Premier. I just hope the FAW do not fizz up the money that they will get from qualifying.  For a nation of 3 million to qualify is such an incredible achievement.

Absolutely delighted for Wales to qualify. Hopefully both British sides qualify from the group

• Like 1