2022 World Cup draw

Oh dear, the England draw will only feed the 'It's coming home' brigade....

In 2010 we could only scrape a draw against the USA and in the Euro's we held Scotland to 0-0.   Hopefully we can beat Iran well and hope goal difference and results go in our favour...

• Haha 1

******** easy group stage, win that group at ease with 7 points minimum. Play either Senegal or Holland in the round of 16 you'd imagine, not sure what Ecuador or Qatar are like at footy but i'd fancy the top two to be Senegal and Holland. So if it's Senegal in the round of 16 that's as easy as you could hope for at that stage. Could play our first 4 games of the tournament against, Iran, USA, Scotland/Wales/Ukraine and Senegal. Wouldn't a face a top side until the quarters and that could possibly be France. Unless Denmark topple them in the group stage which is a possibility. Could be a Euro's style run in where we play nobody good until the semi or final 

2 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

In 2010 we could only scrape a draw against the USA and in the Euro's we held Scotland to 0-0.   Hopefully we can beat Iran well and hope goal difference and results go in our favour...

Our squad is infinitely better than 2010. We will easily beat the yanks and Iran, and can’t see us losing to Scotland/Wales etc. No excuses for not topping the group.

3 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

We’ve played the Jocks 20 times in the last 50 years & they’ve beaten us 1-0 three times 😂

Historically we’ve played Wales 102 times & lost 14 😂

We even beat them in Lens in 2016 & we were garbage! 😂

Just to complete the formalities, we despatched Ukraine 4-0 in Rome last summer. 👍

3 hours ago, scram said:

Why you referring to 2010 when in the last 2 tournaments we got to the semi-final and final?

We got to the semi final of the world cup because we had a good draw.  Anytime we played somebody competent we got beat, Belgium in the group and 3rd place and Croatia in the semi.  We needed pens to get past a poor Colombia, the only time we looked the part was against Sweden.

In the euros, same again, we had a kind draw, a win against a Germany side in transition and scraped to 1-0 wins in the group and held on for a draw against Scotland.  The penalty was dubious against Denmark, not complaining because England have had some bad luck in previous tournaments, but the Danes were looking good until then.

And I'm referring to 2010 because we had the 'easy' USA then, nd could only manage a draw then.

14 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

We’ve played the Jocks 20 times in the last 50 years & they’ve beaten us 1-0 three times 😂

Historically we’ve played Wales 102 times & lost 14 😂

We even beat them in Lens in 2016 & we were garbage! 😂

Just to complete the formalities, we despatched Ukraine 4-0 in Rome last summer. 👍

Costa Rica 0  England 0

Iceland 2  England 1

Both matches we were supposed to win.

I'm not saying England won't qualify, i'm not saying they will struggle.  I'm saying the muppets will come out in force saying we will win especially because we have a supposedly easy group and 'it's coming home'.  

1 hour ago, beswetherick said:

Kick off times are 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm. I have a feeling that December is going to be a very unproductive month at work for a lot of people 

I think depending on what line of work you are in, lazy summer months go quite nicely with watching tournaments at work, and let's face it everyone has the technology to do so now, you just need time and opportunity. 

Personally I hope I have the cojones not to watch it..It won't feel like a WC with it being late November to mid December anyway, and I think I will just have more to do work wise and be quite busy in general, what with Christmas plans etc. 

I'm going to be very interested in how it will be covered as well; I think some outlets will dispense with the 'travelogue' side of it as they won't want to be promoting Qatar as a country , plus there's nowhere near the variety of locations, compared with Russia and Brazil  for example. 

On 04/04/2022 at 13:32, beswetherick said:

Kick off times are 10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm. I have a feeling that December is going to be a very unproductive month at work for a lot of people 

I've booked to go away on holiday for all group stage games. 

30 degrees, All inclusive and live football. 😎

• Like 1

On 04/04/2022 at 15:20, duncanidaho said:

Costa Rica 0  England 0

Iceland 2  England 1

I'm not saying England won't qualify, i'm not saying they will struggle.  I'm saying the muppets will come out in force saying we will win especially because we have a supposedly easy group and 'it's coming home'.  

I agree...I think we will struggle tbh.

On 04/04/2022 at 15:20, duncanidaho said:

Costa Rica 0  England 0

Iceland 2  England 1

Who said we were supposed to beat CR? They topped our group after beating Italy & Uruguay before playing us.

The Iceland defeat was inexcusable because we were utter shyte under Woy as we were in Brazil. Joe Hart was shocking the whole tournament in France. 

2 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Who said we were supposed to beat CR? They topped our group after beating Italy & Uruguay before playing us.

The Iceland defeat was inexcusable because we were utter shyte under Woy as we were in Brazil. Joe Hart was shocking the whole tournament in France. 

Despite how poo we were in Brazil we still should have been beating Costa Rica. Their star player was an arsenal reserve player wasn't he?

11 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Despite how poo we were in Brazil we still should have been beating Costa Rica. Their star player was an arsenal reserve player wasn't he?

I get your point, but we drew with them & kept a clean sheet, after they’d beaten Italy & Uruguay. They were the best team in the group & we were crap. 

England will win all the group games, finish top and play Senegal in the last 16.

A tough game ensues, but the boys get the job done against a physical Senegalese side.

The country goes into a frenzy, Fat Les reworks his song (Again) and thousands of cheap plastic flags end up breaking off the door frames of cars belonging to middle aged men who don’t really follow football apart from the World Cup.

The Sun super imposes the face of Paul Pogba onto an onion on their front page ahead the meeting against France in the belief it will inspire some magical patriotic notion when tagged with tales of Napoleon and how bad those French airport staff are.

France turn up. Pogba plays a blinder, Mbappe outpaces Maguire and hammers the ball inside Pickford’s near post.

England go out, and the golden generation has to wait another four years…

• Haha 1