To all those that mock Darren Moore about his speech...

19 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Has always made me uncomfortable people taking the mick out of how DM talks. Regardless of whether he has a stammer or not. It’s just a cheap shot really. 

to be fair I’ve not seen much about it here. But twitters crap for it and it’s not nice at all.

And, regardless of your feelings towards Moore and his credentials as a manger, his tactical nouse or anything like that, you can tell he’s REALLY tried to get the fans back onside after a difficult time with previous managers. So the personal abuse, even more so, isn’t warranted. 

Hear hear

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Whilst we should reject bigotry and hate speech which targets peoples race sex disability etc etc with extreme prejudice - should we really be banning people from making jokes which target all personal traits?

If someone has a speech impediment then clearly a joke about that to me would be in poor taste and i wouldnt like it. But I wouldnt want it banned. Biggus Dickus anyone? 

We dont or shouldn't be censoring things which aren't against the law as we dont personally like them. That leaves far too much power in the hands of the unelected arbitors of what is or isnt right.

It used to be said by left and right that i profoundly disagree with your views but would fight to the death to defend your right to say them.

Usually the general public has been progressive in deciding what is right and wrong. We dont need censorship - even if its well intended. It will lead to a less tolerant world.

I absolutely hate this modern trend of censorship, political correctness etc, which bans certain words in general. 

However, I do not believe that it can be right to mock any person for whatever reason. This has nothing to do with censorship, but with kindness.

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, Nero said:

Whilst we should reject bigotry and hate speech which targets peoples race sex disability etc etc with extreme prejudice - should we really be banning people from making jokes which target all personal traits?

If someone has a speech impediment then clearly a joke about that to me would be in poor taste and i wouldnt like it. But I wouldnt want it banned. Biggus Dickus anyone? 

We dont or shouldn't be censoring things which aren't against the law as we dont personally like them. That leaves far too much power in the hands of the unelected arbitors of what is or isnt right.

It used to be said by left and right that i profoundly disagree with your views but would fight to the death to defend your right to say them.

Usually the general public has been progressive in deciding what is right and wrong. We dont need censorship - even if its well intended. It will lead to a less tolerant world.

How would you explain to a speech impediment child of yours that they shouldn't get upset by it when they are saying it in their face? 

Are you advocating bullying?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s another example of social media being the problem. 20 years ago, if someone in the public eye had a trait like this then people might have made a joke out of it down the pub or with their mates. It might not be nice but it wasn’t to the person’s face. And if anything if the person was there they’d probably not say it in front of them to avoid hurting feelings. Two faced behaviour of course, but the perpetrators were ‘just having a laugh’ and the victims were largely protected from the effects of it as they didn’t see it.

Nowadays with everything online, there’s a record of all the p*ss taking there for all to see. It’s amplified as instead of seeing 3 people down the pub saying it you have 3000 people tweeting it. The victim can also see it all which psychologically is very difficult to deal with unless they turn off all social media.

It seems to me that human nature has always been to be a bit unkind, to make a joke of difference. We’re now trying to censor ourselves to avoid offending people. Which is unnatural behaviour in some cases which is why people resent it and say ‘you can’t say anything these days’. 

25 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

My general rule of thumb is to try to not PUBLICLY take the mick out of something a person cannot change/has no control of/is a part of them - UNLESS I know the person and know they’re fine with. 

I have a disability and I am FINE with my friends ripping me to shreds over it. If anything I encourage it.

I would have a problem if a group of randoms laughed at it on a public forum. It would be humiliating.

Its not about censorship. It’s about ‘a time and a place’ and not being a ********.

Spot on mate, couldn't have put it better.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How would you explain to a speech impediment child of yours that they shouldn't get upset by it when they are saying it in their face? 

Are you advocating bullying?  

Its a fair question, but its surely about context. Direct personal abuse is of course  bullying. Saying something insulting in someones face. Unacceptable.

But if my kids had a lisp, would I say the Monty Python gag about Welease Woderwick or Biggus Dickus shouldnt be shown? No.. It might make me and them uncomfortable but everyone has to be able to understand how humour and humility works. 

Even If my kids has Alopicia - in fact one has really bad ecxma of the scalp - i dont think that what Chris Rock joked was wrong.

Will Smith was wrong by using violence against spoken words.

Its complicated but where we are heading by reducing comment to no-one being able to tell jokes in case it upsets someone is not healthy.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Nero said:

Its a fair question, but its surely about context. Direct personal abuse is of course  bullying. Saying something insulting in someones face. Unacceptable.

But if my kids had a lisp, would I say the Monty Python gag about Welease Woderwick or Biggus Dickus shouldnt be shown? No.. It might make me and them uncomfortable but everyone has to be able to understand how humour and humility works. 

Even If my kids has Alopicia - in fact one has really bad ecxma of the scalp - i dont think that what Chris Rock joked was wrong.

Will Smith was wrong by using violence against spoken words.

Its complicated but where we are heading by reducing comment to no-one being able to tell jokes in case it upsets someone is not healthy.

Good points but your last point made me think upsetting people is healthy then?  Why do we as a species feel the need to make someone feel bad about themselves?   We are a strange creature.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Good points but your last point made me think upsetting people is healthy then?  Why do we as a species feel the need to make someone feel bad about themselves?   We are a strange creature.

I dont know why. Its just how we are. To make ourselves feel better we denigrate other people. Often through humour.

Its accepting that the fact that we all do it and it doesn't - always -  make it personal  thats harder to understand. 

In a friendly group when you get the psz taken out of you - you know youve been accepted. In some societies taking the pz would lead to imprisonment or worse.

Not being upset when it isnt necessary is a skill.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

I dont know why. Its just how we are. To make ourselves feel better we denigrate other people. Often through humour.

Its accepting that the fact that we all do it and it doesn't - always -  make it personal  thats harder to understand. 

In a friendly group when you get the psz taken out of you - you know youve been accepted. In some societies taking the pz would lead to imprisonment or worse.

Not being upset when it isnt necessary is a skill.

Yeah I can go with all of that.  Just think not making people feel about themselves would be a step forward.   And very slowly we are heading in that direction. 

• Like 1

My eldest son has learning difficulties and I will never forget an incident in a local forest some years ago. As a family, we were cycling on the road through the forest and a woman drove her car directly at him. When challenged she was outraged claiming that "People like THAT should not be allowed out!". I put it down to ignorance but otherwise had little sympathy with her actions or her comments.

There are many things that differentiate us - gender, race, disability, social class, political views, etc.,... even which football team we support.

Let us celebrate those differences instead of dividing ourselves into intransigent and exclusive groups.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have never mocked him for his speech. 
what I have said, is that if the way he comes across in most, not all, of his interviews is similar to the way he gives team talks I wouldn’t as a player have a lot of faith in him. 
Good communication is a key strength in any form of management. 
It’s the cliches and repetition that wound me up and have stopped me listening to him not anything else. 

• Like 3

Is it still ok to think Luke Ayling is a turd of a player, I am unsure.

Because I am now unsure if it's still ok to say Darren Moore is still not the best manager I think he could be, given the players and staff he has had at his availability

What are we saying?  Luke Ayling is now a saint who never did anything wrong in his career, and Darren Moore is a great manager?

• Like 1