Urgohide

40 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

True story - a very well known Sheffield footballer now retired once said to me and I believed him that if the money was right he would go to Skegness Town. I got what he was saying and believe me most pros are of the same mindset.

I know what you are saying, there is no loyalty these days

All this badge kissing does my head in

Players that say they are supporters but leave at the first hint of a pay rise, they don't love Wednesday, they love money

Money isn't everything

Perhaps Shaw might realise this when he's playing reserve team football in Scotland

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

47 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Why would I know what their fathers role was?  You can still love the club even if you are offered more money.  They are professional footballers after all, it's how they make their living, if they get a better offer then they would be silly not to listen.

Money over career

Playing reserve team football in Scotland

That's really going to further a career

29 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Money over career

There was a chance that they went to Celtic, did really well and played European football on the biggest stage.

They took that chance and got paid for doing so. Looks like the football side hasn’t worked but it could have.

I’d like to think I’d chose to stay at Wednesday in that situation but putting the blind loyalty to one side, especially when it’s how I pay the mortgage, I’m not so sure.

I guess we do not what the players were told when by Celtic when they made them offers. They might have been told you would be part of our first team squad etc. Was reading about that young Scottish lad (at Bologna I think) Bayern Munich were interested as well, but Bologna said he would be a first team player while Munich said he would be in the reserves for a year at first. He went to Bologna to play football and now has a international call up.

24 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

There was a chance that they went to Celtic, did really well and played European football on the biggest stage.

They took that chance and got paid for doing so. Looks like the football side hasn’t worked but it could have.

I’d like to think I’d chose to stay at Wednesday in that situation but putting the blind loyalty to one side, especially when it’s how I pay the mortgage, I’m not so sure.

If I didn't watch Wednesday I wouldn't watch football at all

The modern game is rubbish, you can't tackle anymore, but you can hold a player and pull him to the ground

The play acting is disgusting, time wasting the same

Had I been good enough to play for Wednesday, I would have jumped at the chance, and I'd never want to leave

I think players like Jamie Vardy are going to have some big regrets when they retire

To love Wednesday, and be good enough to play for them, but miss out, that's going to sting in later life

That's why I admire Terry Curran so much, he was a Wednesdayite that dropped two divisions to play for the club he loved

There's no one like that today, it's all about the money now

Edited by HOOTIE AND THE SHIT TU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

The modern game is rubbish, you can't tackle anymore, but you can hold a player and pull him to the ground

Had I been good enough to play for Wednesday, I would have jumped at the chance, and I'd never want to leave

I think players like Jamie Vardy are going to have some big regrets when they retire

To love Wednesday, and be good enough to play for them, but miss out, that's going to sting in later life

That's why I admire Terry Curran so much, he was a Wednesdayite that dropped two divisions to play for the club he loved

He might think it would have been nice to play for Wednesday.

Then he’d probably look at his Premier League winners medal, FA Cup winners medal, Premier League golden boot award and numerous England caps and goals…

Yeah don’t think he’ll have any regrets for a lad who was playing non-league up until 25/26.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, edwinowl said:

Seems Celtic looking to cut him loose already. 
Should have stayed in my opinion would have been a certain starter when we were short of options. Crystal ball and all that. 

He was a money grabber. Same as Liam Shaw. Neither were that good but they’ve both messed up their careers in my opinion. Obviously they won’t care as they’ve probably made a fortune out of getting splinters in their arses for a season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Money over career

How many young players have we developed at Wednesday in the last 30 years that have gone on to have great careers? You’d probably have to go as far back as Mel Sterland for the last one.

You could maybe argue Brunt, Whelan and Antonio but none of those came through the academy and they all made moves to West Brom, Stoke and Forest to further their career

47 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

There wasn’t a chance. Neither are anywhere near good enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

There wasn’t a chance. Neither are anywhere near good enough.

Liam Shaw has only just turned 21 and you’ve already written him off as being nowhere good enough.

He’s made a move that’s not worked out for him so far. And maybe you’ll be right and that’s how it’ll turn out but give the lad a chance to develop, he’s still got plenty of time on his side.

Jamie Vardy was playing non league football until he was 25 and he’s turned out alright 

54 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

The same Terry Curran who went to play for the pigs ?.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've no sympathy for either

Both moved for money

Both could have featured heavily in our team this season

And one called himself a Wednesdayite

Good riddance

I said similar (the good riddance part) at the time of their departure and got pelters off some on here for not wishing them well. They’ve made their beds; they should lie in them. I have no sympathy for them. 

• Like 3

Urhoghide was very raw and needed lots of game time to try and polish off the very rough edges he had. Strong and fast, but also rash and often badly positioned. Was okay, but lets be honest hed not get in this team ahead of the other CBs we have here and would have gone backwards on the bench.

Shaw i was a bit annoyed about at yhe time. Defo has ability and confidence in himself, but also guilty of being very naive and not switched on at times too. Think hed have been a squad player with us this year and could have learnt a thing or two in the process.

Neither were ever going to play much this year go be fair and current evidience suggests that we havent really missed out. For what its worth, i think Shaw could still do okay and be a decent enough SPL or lower level championship player in the future. Urhoghide i feel might struggle a bit though and will likely drop into lower league football (think Reda Johnson). Good luck to em both either way, but not our problem and not our worries no more. 

Unsurprisingly, a few bitter fans here.

At the end of the day, football is a job and the club is your employer. You owe no loyalty towards your employer.

If a better offer comes with more money of course you take it. Football is a relatively short career and you need to make the most of your opportunities.

I'm not sure why anybody holds that against them? And if you do, why? We don't miss them? We've signed enough players to replace them so what's the issue? 

Take off the Wednesday tinted glasses and move on. They're young and have experience now so I've no doubt they'll still earn more than the average person makes a year playing football.

• Like 1