Our League Form Since We Signed Storey And Dean

19 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I’m concerned about the fact we have more aways than homes left

We need to find a way to do better obnine road 

It's a real issue. 

If we played every game at home on a Saturday at 3pm, we'd probably win the league by about 20 points. 

Why we can't take that into our away performances is anyone's guess. Perhaps the manager overthinking it? Players a bit of a soft underbelly? Not great when things go a bit awry (which will happen when you are away)?

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Or is that league form since having a midfield three of Byers, Bannan and Luongo.

Bar one game before Byers returned, pretty much, yeah.

The two coincided pretty well, really.

And having actual centre backs meant Johnson was able to return to the flanks, of course.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Or is that league form since having a midfield three of Byers, Bannan and Luongo.

Good spot, dean been injured mostly, storey has generally done well but isnt the quickest when tested vs quicker players, niasse for burton and may today both did him with 1v1s to score, his strength is probably more in air

• Like 2

We’ve had a solid if unspectacular season so far. We’ve found goals a little easier to come by in the last month or so but as I expected at the start of the season we had to be strong defensively. 42 goals conceded in 39 games is not fantastic by any means but given the injury problems in this department in particular, it’s pretty decent.

I think the signing of BPF even though he’s had his dodgy spells has been massive and Moore should get a lot of credit for making a decisive decision with regards to the goalkeeping situation which recent managers quite simply haven’t and it’s cost us big time.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Having the 2nd best form in the league over the last 13 games hasn't deterred the anti Moore brigade sadly.

We aren’t second though over the season and that’s what we should be judged on. It’s not an ‘anti Moore brigade’ it’s just that we should be going for automatics in this league and we’re 11 points off. Could have been in contention had we not failed to win 20 times this season

Storey has been the best loanee of the season IMO. Genuinely class player. Love seeing him overlapping with Hunt. Can’t see that we will get him permanently though as Preston’s manager is Ryan Lowe who is way to smart to sell him to us and will keep him for himself. Dean now he’s back is also clearly a top quality defender. His manager is Lee Bowyer, who is a complete côck womble and actually might let Dean go on a free. His loss is our gain. 😀

• Like 1

You can’t deny that we were desperate for defenders before January - so many injured. Anyone who looks at the results over the season and doesn’t factor that in is living in cloud cuckoo land.

At least three great things happened at the beginning of the year.

1/ NML was signed and Corbeanu left - seemed bad at the time but boy what a good decision that was

2/ Storey was signed on loan - who’d have thought someone who couldn’t get a game for Preston would be any good - but Moore has an eye for a good signing

3/ Dean was signed on loan  - sure he got injured, but he’s a great signing despite that

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

We aren’t second though over the season and that’s what we should be judged on. It’s not an ‘anti Moore brigade’ it’s just that we should be going for automatics in this league and we’re 11 points off. Could have been in contention had we not failed to win 20 times this season

It surely is an "Anti Moore brigade" here on Owlstalk. Not sure how anybody can question that.

I guess some are rassists, but some just dislike the Moore as a person or as manager and are not prepared to acknowledge any positive things.

That does not mean, that everybody, who challenges any of his decisions, is automatically in that "anti Moore brigade". 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

So the fact we've steadily improved across the course of the season and are now one of the most consistent teams in the division doesn't alter your opinion in any way? 

Because a completely overhauled squad didn't hit the ground running from day one that's it. Opinion made up and nothing can change it?

• Like 4

Just now, GermanBird said:

It surely is an "Anti Moore brigade" here on Owlstalk. Not sure how anybody can question that.

I guess some are rassists, but some just dislike the Moore as a person or as manager and are not prepared to acknowledge any positive things.

That does not mean, that everybody, who challenges any of his decisions, is automatically in that "anti Moore brigade". 

I’m not sure about that, I’ve not seen anyone saying anything racial about him on here. Maybe on some other less reputable social media platforms but not here. I’ve seen people taking the p out of his vocal ticks which they shouldn’t do, but a lot of people saying he’s a poor manager also say he’s a nice guy.

I prefer to judge him on his overall record rather than week to week. So far that record is took us down when we had chances to get out of it (although he had extenuating circumstances), including a cup final vs Derby which he failed. Then failure to mount a challenge for automatic promotion with the highest budget in the league. It’s just not a good record.

He has a chance of delivering promotion still though which he must take to have a long term future here. It’s just annoying that some fans like to post ‘see I told you so!’ whenever we win, it’s like they want to wind up those fans who think we’ve underperformed. I hope their confidence is rewarded and we do get over the line as that’s what we all want to see.

3 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

So the fact we've steadily improved across the course of the season and are now one of the most consistent teams in the division doesn't alter your opinion in any way? 

Because a completely overhauled squad didn't hit the ground running from day one that's it. Opinion made up and nothing can change it?

I’ll judge at the end of the season. I’ve not really changed my opinion all season in that i think this team should be getting promoted from this league, so that’s what I’ll judge success or failure against.

In terms of the squad turnover, I don’t think it’s a valid point. When teams don’t change players we say it’s gone stale and that’s holding us back, players are too comfortable etc. In 2015/16 we changed a lot of players and had a poor first 6 games then flew after that and got the play offs. I don’t think it’s an excuse to say it takes 26 games to bed in. It’s an advantage sometimes to bring in fresh blood. And I also don’t think our squad turnover is that exceptional vs other sides in this league, a lot of them will change 10+ players every year too.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Bar one game before Byers returned, pretty much, yeah.

The two coincided pretty well, really.

And having actual centre backs meant Johnson was able to return to the flanks, of course.

And how many chances has Johnson created since then from his proper position, not to mention how he carries the team up the field. I think this is probably as important as the storey signing in our improved attacking and defending

Just now, nbupperthongowl said:

And how many chances has Johnson created since then from his proper position, not to mention how he carries the team up the field. I think this is probably as important as the storey signing in our improved attacking and defending

Johnson has been pivotal, but the Storey signing, as well as the return of other centre backs from injury, is what freed up Johnson to return to the flank.

It's all interconnected.