Sky….wtf

4 hours ago, Jaytee said:

Who the hell do Sky Sports think they are! 
Match at MKDons been switched from Friday to Saturday evening. Bank holiday Monday match been switched to Tuesday. All at short notice. Basically only one game over the holiday period.

If ever there was confirmation that money in general and Sky in particular are ruining our national game this is one big example. No thought given to the needs or views of fans and corporate media companies pulling all the strings.

EFL should have told them to p@@s off !

Shame on you Sky and more shame on the EFL for letting this happen.

If SWFC want to give back the millions they get each season then they can.

But presumably you wont be watching the play offs on sky then also.

we need the money so if sky want to put us on for 2 games thank you very much.

Sky of the 90's and early noughties moved football forward a lot. They made English football the best league in the world and gave the championship massive exposure.

The problem we have now is Greed runs football, the clubs see fans as mugs, they put a badge on it and charge 250% mark up and we pay it. They charge £30 for second rate football and we pay it.

Fans are a loyal bunch and as long as that lasts there will be someone along to exploit it.

• Like 3

I think it's even more galling for clubs in situation. 

Whether you think we are a "big" club or not, we are in League bloody One and that usually means out of sight and out of mind when it comes to the Sky's of this world. 

So to suddenly have them cherry pick your game (cause they seemingly have nothing better to show for that timeslot) is even more irritating. 

If you "support" one of these top clubs, then having your games constantly moved for TV comes with the territory. 

They should be more clear around how soon before kick off they can change it. Someone said the other day its 5 weeks, but 4 weeks for later in the season. That was news to me as not seen that publicised before.

Would be helpful in that people would know not to book travel or accommodation until you're within that window.

56 minutes ago, ANDY said:

im thinking of having a banner made to put in a prominent position. 

doubt I’d get away with effing shīt but was thinking along the lines of 

Sky Tv. Holding football fans in contempt since 1992 

or summat like that 

I used to have a t-shirt with the old PL logo on that said Premier Greed underneath, unfortunately I think it got thrown out which is probably for the best as if I tried to wear it now it may have been a little snug :biggrin:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, striker said:

Sky can do what they want since football sold their soul to them back in the 90's. 

As for EFL, they won't say boo to a ghost. They are bullies who wet themselves unless it's one of their own  members they choose to go after, at the behest of one of their other members, who seems to have more influence than other supposed equal shareholders.

The EFL isn't a separate entity, it represents the clubs.

It's the club Chairman that have the power, not the EFL.

The solution is simple.

At the next meeting EFL, clubs need to put conditions into the next Sky contract.

However Sky would likely substantially reduce their fee.

There would be a democratic vote amongst the Chairman but one would suspect the majority of EFL clubs would accept the Sky conditions due to the financial rewards.

Wouldn't refusing the Sky deal be cutting off your nose to spite you face?

It would make the financial gap between the PL and EFL clubs even bigger. 

45 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Would be helpful in that people would know not to book travel or accommodation until you're within that window.

train tickets are loads cheaper when booked well in advance. 

ie more than 5 weeks 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, eggnmaz said:

Sky sports are the ruination of all sports not just football. If you have sky installed in your home you have only yourself to blame.!!!!!

It's the financial aspect that's arguably ruined football so if you're being honest it's back in 1890's when football became professional that it went down the road of ruination. Before Sky the bigger clubs had more money (gate receipts) so it was never a level/ fair playing field.

Sheffield FC were one of the few clubs that stayed loyal to morality and turned their back on the professional game. They've struggled to make progress. Wonder if they regret it? 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Sky of the 90's and early noughties moved football forward a lot. They made English football the best league in the world and gave the championship massive exposure.

The problem we have now is Greed runs football, the clubs see fans as mugs, they put a badge on it and charge 250% mark up and we pay it. They charge £30 for second rate football and we pay it.

Fans are a loyal bunch and as long as that lasts there will be someone along to exploit it.

This for me is modern football in a nutshell, no matter who you support we're obsessed by numbers. "Look how many we took to XYZ!", "Is that all they took to ABC?"

In Germany the fans voted with their feet and protested against Monday Night Football and it was quickly reversed, what do we do in this country keep selling out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sheffsteel said:

The EFL isn't a separate entity, it represents the clubs.

It's the club Chairman that have the power, not the EFL.

The solution is simple.

At the next meeting EFL, clubs need to put conditions into the next Sky contract.

However Sky would likely substantially reduce their fee.

There would be a democratic vote amongst the Chairman but one would suspect the majority of EFL clubs would accept the Sky conditions due to the financial rewards.

Wouldn't refusing the Sky deal be cutting off your nose to spite you face?

It would make the financial gap between the PL and EFL clubs even bigger. 

So they say, but a handful of clubs/owners seem to have undue influence and the championship undue influence on what the rest of the leagues do. 

The gap to the EPL already unsurmountable, the gap within the EPL arguably likewise. 

It's just about whoring their product around to the highest bidder. We all know that and that clubs rely on the  money, still doesn't make it right or in the best interests of fans.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

Why do people still act shocked at this? It’s been happening for 10-15 years now 

Think most Owls fans are annoyed and inconvenienced at this, rather than shocked.

And just because it's happened many times before, does that ever make it right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

A big pet hate of mine is kick off times changing like this, a big reason I knocked on head going to away games.

But Sky would argue that have spent hundreds and hundreds of millions on showing football and they coverage is a reason football s more popular than it was 30 years ago.

They didn't hold a gun to the head of the clubs to sign the deal that made them all richer.
The clubs know that fans are too loyal for they own good and be some moaning at this fixture change but still be a few thousand going to MK Dons.

When I worked for a football club I dealt with Sky quite a bit. Their argument is that they have pumped millions and millions of pounds into football and the clubs fell over themselves to sign the contract such were the riches on offer.  They are showing the game to a far bigger audience than the 2 clubs involved would interest without the TV involvement. I do get their argument to a point but I do sympathise with fans who the constant changes affect.  I have bigger issues when showpiece matches are arranged (the upcoming semi at Wembley) for instance where the rail net work is inactive on the day in question  and yet still the authorities do it. That to me is madness and shows complete disregard to the supporters of the clubs involved.

• Thanks 1