Jump to content

Some players who will be free agents who Wednesday should be looking at this summer


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Worksop Wednesday said:

 

 

certainly an odd one, Premiership to League 2 having played a few games in Prem

 

Youd av thought he get a better gig than L2

 

What happened ?

Sometimes it's about contacts which Clough will have plenty of as well as a good reputation for bringing through and working with young players.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Hector from a financial point of view would be a non starter.

 

Like the look of Matheson, would imagine he'd be available on loan in the summer if he is still in contract at Wolves.

Would wolves loan us any more players after the last debacle? 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Hectors been gash at fulham, subbed him off one game after about 30 mins he was that dire, dont recall him being anything other than backup since and the odd league cup tie.

Vastly overated on here

 

 

Hector was/is very good at Championship level for Fulham but completely out of place in the Premier League. Could say the same about the other defenders.

 

On the assumption Fulham don't use the one year option on Hector then he'll end up at a Championship team chasing promotion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, A47Owl said:

Would wolves loan us any more players after the last debacle? 

 

What 'debacle'?

 

Corbeanu developed whilst on loan here, but we couldn't guarantee him a starting place, which seems fair enough when we have the likes of Johnson and Mendez-Laing in the squad.

 

He's now at MK Dons and they seem to be using him relatively sparingly, too.

 

He played 39% of the available minutes whilst he was with us, and has played 47% of the available minutes for MK Dons so far. Bearing in mind that he was recovering from a nasty illness for a while at the start of the season, there's not a great deal of difference in the relative game time he's had.

 

He did slightly better in terms of direct goal contributions during his time with us than he's managed at MK Dons so far, though. He averaged a goal or assist every 210 minutes for us, and currently averages once every 338 minutes for them.

 

It is what it is: a talented but raw youngster learning his trade in the lower leagues. I'm not sure Wolves will be looking at his time with us as a 'debacle', so much as an important part of his learning process, similar to his time at MK Dons.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

 

What 'debacle'?

 

Corbeanu developed whilst on loan here, but we couldn't guarantee him a starting place, which seems fair enough when we have the likes of Johnson and Mendez-Laing in the squad.

 

He's now at MK Dons and they seem to be using him relatively sparingly, too.

 

He played 39% of the available minutes whilst he was with us, and has played 47% of the available minutes for MK Dons so far. Bearing in mind that he was recovering from a nasty illness for a while at the start of the season, there's not a great deal of difference in the relative game time he's had.

 

He did slightly better in terms of direct goal contributions during his time with us than he's managed at MK Dons so far, though. He averaged a goal or assist every 210 minutes for us, and currently averages once every 338 minutes for them.

 

It is what it is: a talented but raw youngster learning his trade in the lower leagues. I'm not sure Wolves will be looking at his time with us as a 'debacle', so much as an important part of his learning process, similar to his time at MK Dons.


Couldn’t have summed it up better 👍🏻

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Sometimes it's about contacts which Clough will have plenty of as well as a good reputation for bringing through and working with young players.

 

 

He might be, but at 22, there's no way Longstaff would have been loaned to League 2 if there was interest from Championship or L1.

 

 

George Hirst got a loan to Rotherham in the Champ and Portsmouth in L1...having only scored 3 senior goals for Leuven in Belgium. 

Longstaff is younger than Hirst (23) and scored 2 senior goals in the Prem for Newcastle as a centre midfielder. 

 

I think its more a big red flag that his few appearances for Newcastle were a flash in the pan and not reflective of his overall game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, A47Owl said:

Would wolves loan us any more players after the last debacle? 

Hardly a debacle was it? Player didn't fit system we reverted to halfway through his time here for the good of the team so went somewhere where he would fit in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

He might be, but at 22, there's no way Longstaff would have been loaned to League 2 if there was interest from Championship or L1.

 

 

George Hirst got a loan to Rotherham in the Champ and Portsmouth in L1...having only scored 3 senior goals for Leuven in Belgium. 

Longstaff is younger than Hirst (23) and scored 2 senior goals in the Prem for Newcastle as a centre midfielder. 

 

I think its more a big red flag that his few appearances for Newcastle were a flash in the pan and not reflective of his overall game. 

Not everything is an exact science though. There are lots of factors, manager relationships, agents, club reputation.

 

22 isn't that old, Newcastle's takeover has probably changed a lot for the players in their squad like Longstaff. I don't think they'll have loaned him out thinking he'll be playing for them next season personally. If we're still in League One he'd be a name I'd look at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Putney said:

 

Hector was/is very good at Championship level for Fulham but completely out of place in the Premier League. Could say the same about the other defenders.

 

On the assumption Fulham don't use the one year option on Hector then he'll end up at a Championship team chasing promotion.

Looked very uncomfortable at times at peterborough when he played the full game back in november, only won one header and one tackle ALL game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

We don’t need to sign freebies remember, that being said we don’t want to end up in a position like last time .

Just because a player is on a free doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good option.

 

Lee and Bannan spring to mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/03/2022 at 10:43, Putney said:

 

Hector was/is very good at Championship level for Fulham but completely out of place in the Premier League. Could say the same about the other defenders.

 

On the assumption Fulham don't use the one year option on Hector then he'll end up at a Championship team chasing promotion.

Do you think Tim Ream is a better player/defender? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Putney said:


Player yeah, defender no. Ream gets away with a lot because most strikers in the Championship are crap.

Well we are f#cked then if we get promoted because ours our poo in league one 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Putney said:


Player yeah, defender no. Ream gets away with a lot because most strikers in the Championship are crap.

My word. 

 

Every time I see him I scratch my head how he's a footballer let alone plays for a team as good at that level as Fulham

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think hector is as far fetched as some will

make out 

 

he’s not had a successful career at higher level at all infact except us I don’t think he’s particularly sone much in the championship 

 

he got a big move on big money to Fulham and that’s been pretty poor for him so he won’t get a contract like that again in my opinion 

 

maybe at his age now a return to a club that worked for him and a chance to play games might be more than appealing for him 

 

there’s a few here that was here when he was her me last too 

 

but I don’t think we will be interested personally I can see us being in for two if not three of storey, dean and Gibson 

 

was hector left footed? Or did he just play left sided centre back? 
 

Next year though we need 

2 goal keepers 

3 strikers 

3 centre backs 

and possibly another 2 centre mids and full back 

 

We need to add height, aggression, and pace to help change things in my opinion 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...