Football Centenary Tournament - 1988

Yeah, went for the weekend. 4 of us including 1 Rotherham fan. Wednesday lost to Forest in the final. If I recall there was support for Tranmere who had Ronnie Moore as their manager. I enjoyed it but as someone said, it was very random, a non event really and there was almost zero atmosphere. I think the teams that qualified were based on a section of games within a period of time and how they did in that period. The Colin West goal was the highlight. 

• Like 2

On 20/03/2022 at 21:09, onlyonedavidhirst said:

Yeah, went for the weekend. 4 of us including 1 Rotherham fan. Wednesday lost to Forest in the final. If I recall there was support for Tranmere who had Ronnie Moore as their manager. I enjoyed it but as someone said, it was very random, a non event really and there was almost zero atmosphere. I think the teams that qualified were based on a section of games within a period of time and how they did in that period. The Colin West goal was the highlight. 

Ronnie Moore was still a player and played for Tranmere that weekend. He was at the end of his career as a defender having been a striker all his career. If I remember they were the story of the weekend really. 4th division and beat a couple of decent sides. Daft qualifying system for it all over a couple of months and best sides in each division in that little period played in it. 

• Like 2

I went on the Saturday. Think we only had a few hundred there. It was a really strange day most of it just spent hanging around waiting for Wednesday to play. We won at least one of the games in penalties. Can’t remember who we played. 
I vaguely remember looking over at the Blackburn fans maybe less than 50 of them and thinking how rubbish it would be to support them (only for them to go on and win the league in the bit too distant future).

• Like 1

I was there, working as a steward, so I saw almost all of it. I don't recommend watching so much football in one go! Apart from our matches, my brain just numbed-out after a while. The only thing I can remember now is Colin West's great goal. 

• Like 2

We were there from the Gate ………… Was a real eye opener for a gang of young lads who expected & and who were prepared for trouble all the weekend………. Because that’s what happened in those days!

Exactly the opposite happened……….. Got on really well with fans of the other clubs & went on to meet some of them over many years when we played each other & at England matches……….. For that reason alone it was a complete success!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, casbahowl said:

We were there from the Gate ………… Was a real eye opener for a gang of young lads who expected & and who were prepared for trouble all the weekend………. Because that’s what happened in those days!

Exactly the opposite happened……….. Got on really well with fans of the other clubs & went on to meet some of them over many years when we played each other & at England matches……….. For that reason alone it was a complete success!

Yeah, the only bit of trouble I remember seeing was from some (go on have a guess!!) L**ds fans, who seemed to be kn*bs pretty much all day.  One recollection I had was if the set of fans team you were next to in the ground was playing, a lot of the fans adjacent would go into their section to support that team.  As you say, at that period of time, this was unheard of.

• Like 1