8 years ago Luton

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

A team with very little will always spend wisely and make it count.

Whether our fans like it or not, alot has been spent here and we still lack that raw talent you can see competing in The Championship week in, week out.

Homework is very hard to do, when you can't trust anyone that helps you. Surrounded by snakes and vultures in this game. Just pay, pay, pay is all Chansiri can do to attempt to keep us happy.

Michael Smith at Rotherham, 18 goals, 6 assists - 2.9k per week - we have over 20 players on a higher wage.

Twine at mk Don's 

14 goals and 10 assists 

22 years old 

Signed on a free from Swindon last summer after he got 12 goals and 10 assists for them 

4.6k a week 

People say wages are irrelevant 

But we arent getting value for money 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

So at the end of this season we have a massive clearout... I mean literally the whole squad and the manager... In their place we bring in Nathan Jones and the entire Luton squad. How many on here would be happy? How many would say that it was massive step in the right direction? Probably many fewer than said they couldn't believe we'd fallen so far as to be raiding a club like Luton.

The season starts and we lose two of the first three games, drawing the other one. Coincidentally Barry Bannan scores one of the opposition goals having been picked up by relegated Reading. How many would be fully behind the Nathan Jones revolution? How many would be saying we won't miss Bannan as Jordan Clark is ten times the player? How many would be saying 'give Jones six months / a year / three seasons and he'll turn the ship around'?

Sometimes things click for certain clubs in certain seasons, sometimes things click over multiple seasons... but those things can't just be lifted and transplanted into another club, they're unique to that club, that stadium, that pitch, that set of fans and won't be replicated elsewhere. Similarly sometimes things just... don't click... 

One things for certain, we as a group of fans don't have much patience, we want everything... now... Thats far from our main problem as a club but its certainly a contributory factor in the malaise. We could probably genuinely do with staying down in league One for ten years, or maybe even going down another division so fans can start to appreciate we're no longer a big club, we're just a small club with a big stadium and a middle of the road history.

20+ years and counting 

No patience 

Really.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

I must have not been paying attention, which management set up have we given 20+ years of patience to?

You misunderstood my point 

20+ years since we were in the top division 

Name me any other fanbase who would put up with the garbage we've put up with?

47 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

we're just a small club with a big stadium and a middle of the road history.

12 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

You missed a part of my post.

image.png.6b8f586c81fba0d3acdbdc16284be27b.png

20yrs since we've been in the top division but our average league placing within the pyramid has been outside the top division for every time period stretching back to the last 60yrs, so why as a fanbase should we think we should be in the top division?

2 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

20yrs since we've been in the top division but our average league placing within the pyramid has been outside the top division for every time period stretching back to the last 60yrs, so why as a fanbase should we think we should be in the top division?

That’s misleading as each data point includes recent seasons. Need to do it showing average league position in each decade and that will show how far we’ve fallen 

2 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

Fair enough 

Don't know how old you are but I can't see us back in the top division in my lifetime 

Unless something dramatic happens UTO...

• Like 1

For every Luton you can name a Wigan Sunderland or Bolton

Even us if you like 

not taking anything away from Luton 

fair play to them they’ve found a sustainable way to rise through the leagues 

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Theres loads of sheep on here mate 

They'll slag anyone off who dares call the team or manager out 

Then act like they was on the same wavelength all along 

It's highly amusing 

I think the phrase you are looking for is,

’Fickle w@nkers’

• Like 1

Tbf, you could list x number of so-called smaller clubs who got into the PL since we were last there. 

Should be said that I don't think the Championship is overly strong atm. Fulham are a good side, Bournemouth decent. Think most of those competing for the play off places aren't all that, bar possibly Forest who do look like a decent side when I see them. 

4 hours ago, Luke said:

So do you think if we give more 5 more years he'll have us challenging for the top 6 in the championship with the same budget as jones ?

Bare in mind we have players in league one on more than double that Luton players get paid 

You seem to know an awful lot for someone who can't spell 'bear'.  BTW, the manager/team thing is called support.  Doesn't stop anyone being critical, but we are currently one point off the playoffs, so real constructive criticism can wait a few weeks, if applicable.  Save your scarf in the meantime...

• Like 1

If there is a time to reassess Moore's position at the club, then it will be in the summer when this season is done. 

If we get in the play offs, but miss out on promotion, then I'd keep him...but you'd be wanting a good start to the following season. 

If we miss out on the play offs, and do so with a bit of a whimper, then it becomes harder to justify keeping him on. 

Do like the bloke, do like some of the football he has got us playing (on occasions), impressed with his recruitment (for the most part), but I have then those nagging doubts about whether he's really got it in him to get a team over the line. Tbf, the latter concern can be levelled at some of our players too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

That’s misleading as each data point includes recent seasons. Need to do it showing average league position in each decade and that will show how far we’ve fallen 

Thats a fair point, however its not like we haven't been here before plus when we're comparing ourselves to other teams in terms of present performance we need to include present data in the comparison.

Our fall from grace hasn't really been recent, we've not been relevant in terms of the pointy end of the pyramid in over 20yrs. and out 'golden period' in the 21st century has still been within the last 4-5yrs, before which we had 15 years of dross similar to what we're now experiencing. We're just not a great team or a great club unless you bring ancient history into it, we're a Bolton, Coventry or Sunderland rather than any number of other teams which are / we're more established in the top division.

• Like 1

Wednesday are a "big" club in the traditional sense. 

We have a very good level of support, won a bit (most of it in black and white) and have a decent sized stadium. 

But we've done the sweet sum of f all for over 2 decades now and the fact is that quite a lot of smaller clubs have overtaken us because they are run better and have an actual plan. 

The only "plan" we've had in the last 2 decades was to throw some money at it a few years back and we all know how that ended up. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Theres a whole generation of football fans who will watch 'The Premier League Years' on Sky Sports and be genuinely amazed that Sheffield Wednesday make appearances in it, typically getting walloped by Leeds as they won the lot or losing to Man Utd when they won the title, or just getting stuffed 7-1 at home to Forest, 7-1 away at Arsenal or 8-0 away at Newcastle.

We had a purple patch of a few years in the early 90s, we were an established mid-table team for a few years in the 80s and nearlyu won the lot in the early 60s. We've done bugger all else to warrant the tag of a 'big' club unless the definition of a big club is being amongst the top 25 clubs in the country on a historic basis, in which case I'd argue were more a small club in a big city which by default probably makes us a big club on geography alone.

4 hours ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Coventry,Oldham, bradford city Wimbledon  even luton have all been in top flight in 90s and never returned have fallen to the depths far worse than we have .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

I mentioned this in the matchday thread as it’s a little frustrating to see clubs with Luton’s budgets, stadium and fanbase doing so well when we are struggling to get into the top 6 in league 1.  
No one has a divine right to achieve anything in football but when I hear owls fans saying that we will never be able to get back to the PL because it’s a closed shop due to parachute payments or catchment areas etc, it makes me laugh.  If you have a decent owner and manager combination then you can achieve things no matter if you are owls or hatters. 

Brentford are the perfect example. Spent most of their existence in the lower leagues, but now putting much bigger clubs to shame.