The danger of dropping in-form players

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Gregory started in that 6-0 win and was dropped to the bench for the next game.

Berahino started the next game.

I know 

I'm just saying hes been injured 

Berahino and Paterson are our only strikers scoring in a team that doesn't score 

They should be given a run 

Not just starting Gregory for the sake of it 

6 hours ago, Luke said:

I know 

Berahino and Paterson are our only strikers scoring in a team that doesn't score 

I doubt it's 'for the sake of it'. It's more likely that Moore feels that Gregory is our best available striker, which he is.

7 hours ago, Luke said:

I know 

You'd give Patterson a run in front of Gregory  ....really?

Wow......just  . Wow

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I doubt it's 'for the sake of it'. It's more likely that Moore feels that Gregory is our best available striker, which he is.

Paterson 4 in 6

Berahino 4 in 4 

Gregory 1 in 11 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Luke said:

Paterson 4 in 6

Berahino 4 in 4 

Gregory 1 in 11 

Four of the eight Paterson and Berahino goals you're referring to there came in the 180 minutes they've been on the pitch alongside Gregory in that recent run.

But putting that aside, when you actually watch them play football, what would you say each of them bring to the team?

Because for me, Gregory's link-up play, movement, and calmness under pressure tie our attack together more consistently than either of the other two, especially when he's partnered with someone like Windass or Berahino who tend to make the kind of runs he's anticipating and will run in behind defenders at times.

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Four of the eight Paterson and Berahino goals you're referring to there came in the 180 minutes they've been on the pitch alongside Gregory in that recent run.

But putting that aside, when you actually watch them play football, what would you say each of them bring to the team?

Because for me, Gregory's link-up play, movement, and calmness under pressure tie our attack together more consistently than either of the other two, especially when he's partnered with someone like Windass or Berahino who tend to make the kind of runs he's anticipating and will run in behind defenders at times.

Well they put the goal in the back of the net while Gregory recently doesn't 

When you have a team that has the least amount of goals in top 8

10% of them in one game 

Do you want someone whose in form scoring or someone who holds the ball up 

I like Gregory 

But hes paid to score goals 

Just like our defenders and gk are paid to keep clean sheets 

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Nobody would argue with you on Gregory’s movement etc

But there won’t a Movement column or a Running-in behind column or a Makes good runs column in the final league table on 30th April.

For whatever reason, and none of us knows why, we were winning game after game, and now we’ve stopped. The winning run has ground to a halt.

6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Well they put the goal in the back of the net while Gregory recently doesn't 

When you have a team that has the least amount of goals in top 8

10% of them in one game 

Do you want someone whose in form scoring or someone who holds the ball up 

I like Gregory 

But hes paid to score goals 

Just like our defenders and gk are paid to keep clean sheets 

Someone like Gregory holding the ball up, linking with midfield and creating opportunities for his teammates, helps to create the opportunities for them to score.

Without him playing so well against Cambridge and giving the whole team a platform on which to build their attaching play, there's no way Berahino's current stats look so impressive, for example.

We won six nil with Gregory and Berahino as the starting strike partnership.

We haven't played that since.

Admittedly, Patto got the goal on Tuesday night, but I do find that a bit bizarre. 

Tbf, I'm seeing lots of criticism aimed at Moore and I'm not disagreeing with a lot of what is said, even if some is a bit OTT. But the players have to take some responsibility too, surely?

They're meant to have more ability that most in this division  - heck they're very quick to tell us how good they are after a few good results. And yet they don't seem ever up for a bit of a scrap.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Someone like Gregory holding the ball up, linking with midfield and creating opportunities for his teammates, helps to create the opportunities for them to score.

Without him playing so well against Cambridge and giving the whole team a platform on which to build their attaching play, there's no way Berahino's current stats look so impressive, for example.

We'd scored 17 goals when Gregory was injured and on our best run of the season 

Now I not blaming it on all him 

But come on 

Strikers are paid to score goals 

And current form Gregory ain't up to it 

34 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Nobody would argue with you on Gregory’s movement etc

But there won’t a Movement column or a Running-in behind column or a Makes good runs column in the final league table on 30th April.

For whatever reason, and none of us knows why, we were winning game after game, and now we’ve stopped. The winning run has ground to a halt.

I really don't think the winning run ended because Gregory started being reintroduced, do you?

I mean, of the available minutes in those recent draws / loss, they played:

Paterson: 81%

Berahino: 57%

Gregory: 53%

Statistics don’t tell the full story. Those Gregory/Berahino stats are distorted by a hat trick. Nonetheless I agree they’re the ideal pairing at the moment. Both natural forwards, Gregory probably adds more to the forward play than the others do.

The only question is freshness. And that we have to leave to the manager to decide. No matter how good a pairing is, if they’re not fit enough for 90 minutes it’s better for them to play as a sub.

• Like 1