Gillingham Sheffield Wednesday - OMDT

1 minute ago, FlyingOwl said:

I really don’t get peoples problems with Dunkley starting. Wasn’t he POTM just before his injury?

Exactly this. He was a one man army before his injury, both at the back and from our own corners. He’s going to score today as well as defend like a colossus. 🤞

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I really don’t get peoples problems with Dunkley starting. Wasn’t he POTM just before his injury?

Patersons also on a decent run of goal scoring form. Like him or not, he’s getting in the right areas to finish his chances. It makes sense to play him today and THEN bring on Saido/NML to stretch Gills with 25 to go.

This. He was our best player before getting injured.

Best player we have at club in the air bar none.

• Like 2

Pretty happy with the line-up.

Dunkley must've looked good enough in training to be trusted to defend at set pieces and Iorfa/Dean ready to come on if needed.

My only concern is not having any central midfield cover on the bench. Any injury there would mean we'd need to push Hutch up and bring on either Dean or Iorfa to cover left CB.

3 minutes ago, OriginalAlien said:

Pretty happy with the line-up.

Dunkley must've looked good enough in training to be trusted to defend at set pieces and Iorfa/Dean ready to come on if needed.

My only concern is not having any central midfield cover on the bench. Any injury there would mean we'd need to push Hutch up and bring on either Dean or Iorfa to cover left CB.

Or bring Patto into midfield and bring on Saido, Kamberi or Sow.

I think NML is someone who can figuratively play most positions too. 

• Haha 1

Good to see Dean and Mendez-Laing back on the bench.

Don't have a problem with Dunkley starting either, he was in great form before his injury and a no nonsense defender is what we need to get his head on the ball when it matters. We also have to remember that players such as Iorfa coming back from injury have to be managed and can't play them every 3 days and not expect more injuries. 

I'm not a fan of Paterson up front, but he's on a good scoring run and have to admire that and probably deserves his place at the moment. Berahino and Mendez-Laing good attacking options from the bench.

Team is ok, plenty good enough to win 3 points today.

• Like 1

No H2H to speak of, played them 5 times at the start of the century D1 L4

Gillingham at home in the last 10 have only beat Cambridge and Crewe, both teams in the bottom half of the division.  

They played 4 matches against teams in the top half, losing L4,   scoring 2 and conceding 14 goals.

Wednesday against bottom half in the last 10 are W3 L2 with an aggregate of 9:7. In the last 10 away against top half the Owls are  W1 D1 L3 so fare better against the lower teams.

Just now, edwinowl said:

Him or Dean. Not much in it. 

Quite probably which is why I said on what we've seen this season.  Dean looked solid in his one game but didn't display the dominance on the air that Dunkley has. I hope both stay fit and in form as they could be key players in the run in.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Hmmm..

I suppose Paterson has been scoring, but his all round play is awful, we'd look much better going forward with Berahino!

Not sure why Dunkley is starting after being out for so long over Iorfa!

Glad to see NML on the bench!

Cos he’s a much better defender than iorfa 

38 minutes ago, A47Owl said:

Build up a players confidence, put him in the team, score 3 goals and get mom. 

Then drop him. 

That will do his confidence a world of good. Perhaps he's carrying a knock or he hasn't got enough volume in his legs. 

Some strange selections occasionally from DM. 

That's where good managers stick an arm round a player and explain the thinking.

I have no clue if Moore does that, but Atkinson certainly did - probably the last manager we had that did communicate properly with his players.